LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Folks, just wanted to ask those who still have this panel after some months, is everything ok with the fan and the general operation? Any developing problems?

So, all was good until this week (~7 weeks of ownership), shut down the PC as normal on Wednesday evening, booted up on Thursday morning to find a bright red line down the entire screen (about 1/5 in from the right, 1 or 2 pixels wide), tried a few quick tests (different cables/PC etc.) with no changes (is even there with no inputs at all), currently awaiting a response from LG (whose customer service people I've spoken to / had email correspondence from so far have been very helpful).

Associate
So, all was good until this week (~7 weeks of ownership), shut down the PC as normal on Wednesday evening, booted up on Thursday morning to find a bright red line down the entire screen (about 1/5 in from the right, 1 or 2 pixels wide), tried a few quick tests (different cables/PC etc.) with no changes (is even there with no inputs at all), currently awaiting a response from LG (whose customer service people I've spoken to / had email correspondence from so far have been very helpful).
So sorry for your loss. Surely you're well within your original warranty.

Soldato

Argh. Sorry to jinx it for you bud. But nice to hear that LG help has been good so far... Ive heard some bad stories from others on the forums about LGs poor customer support help. Hope its not the same for you....

In my mind of minds.... leaning towards the GN now....

Associate
So sorry for your loss. Surely you're well within your original warranty.

Argh. Sorry to jinx it for you bud. But nice to hear that LG help has been good so far... Ive heard some bad stories from others on the forums about LGs poor customer support help. Hope its not the same for you....

Thanks - they assured me multiple times on the call it was under warranty - looks as below although the 'line' changes colour depending on what the underlying colour would be

KEZDxHL.jpg

Associate
I ordered a replacement GSync fan (same model) from Mouser in the US
Thanks for the teardown! Did your new fan come with bare wires only (no connector)? I just got the one from Mouser and I'm trying to figure out how to attach a connector to it and what kind it is, it doesn't look like a standard 4 pin fan socket on the mainboard.

My story is - I've sent the monitor to LG for repairs, with noise being the complain (and they did accept it - but I'm in USA). Looks like they replaced the whole mainboard or the Gsync module (it showed zero hours total uptime in service menu), the noise initially was definitely lower, but now, after couple of days it is pretty much the same as before - I can hear this high pitch hiss in another room. I can't believe I didn't return it while I still had a chance, I thought the noise is coming from HDDs in my home server. The monitor was literally the last thing I disconnected when I finally decided to tackle the irritating noise problem, but then it was too late.

I'm wondering - all those that say that they can't hear anything - what is you die temperature? Mine is hovering around 60C.

Soldato
Really incredible how much variation there seems to be with this Gsync module. You're saying you can hear the fan in another room? It must be bloody loud then Thysanoptera! (By the way, welcome to OCUK!)

Associate
Really incredible how much variation there seems to be with this Gsync module. You're saying you can hear the fan in another room? It must be bloody loud then Thysanoptera! (By the way, welcome to OCUK!)
Thanks! It is not loud like in decibels, but the frequency stands out like a sore thumb. Using my phone, this is 6kHz spike maybe only 25dB directly above the monitor vent. It is way below my background noise but I can hear it everywhere, over much louder background noise, it just fills the room and beyond, driving me slowly mad.

Associate
Thanks for the teardown! Did your new fan come with bare wires only (no connector)? I just got the one from Mouser and I'm trying to figure out how to attach a connector to it and what kind it is, it doesn't look like a standard 4 pin fan socket on the mainboard.

My story is - I've sent the monitor to LG for repairs, with noise being the complain (and they did accept it - but I'm in USA). Looks like they replaced the whole mainboard or the Gsync module (it showed zero hours total uptime in service menu), the noise initially was definitely lower, but now, after couple of days it is pretty much the same as before - I can hear this high pitch hiss in another room. I can't believe I didn't return it while I still had a chance, I thought the noise is coming from HDDs in my home server. The monitor was literally the last thing I disconnected when I finally decided to tackle the irritating noise problem, but then it was too late.

I'm wondering - all those that say that they can't hear anything - what is you die temperature? Mine is hovering around 60C.

Thanks for this, I feel validated. I'm receiving my 3rd GL and I bet it will make the same hissing sound and awaiting my 38GN from costco (USA). Have you spun/blown your mouser fans up to speed yet? It was difficult but when I did I noticed the same hissing noise so I return the fans and decided that this was probably the fan's design and I didn't get 2 monitors and 2 standalone fans that were defective. Interested what you'll learn about that connector. How are you monitoring the temps?

Associate
Thanks for this, I feel validated. I'm receiving my 3rd GL and I bet it will make the same hissing sound and awaiting my 38GN from costco (USA). Have you spun/blown your mouser fans up to speed yet? It was difficult but when I did I noticed the same hissing noise so I return the fans and decided that this was probably the fan's design and I didn't get 2 monitors and 2 standalone fans that were defective. Interested what you'll learn about that connector. How are you monitoring the temps?
I connected it to 3V DC and it was fairly quiet, like a normal fan, no high pitch noise. I didn't mount it though on flat surface like it is done in GL.

I have a theory - they used axial fan in blower setup, no idea why. There is what, maybe 2mm of free space below the fan blades and the flat heatplate and that's where the air is pushed and then squeezed to the sides. So most likely there is much larger axial force acting upon the fan shaft than what it was designed for. I bet the sound generator is the retaining ring keeping the fan from flying off. I'm really flabbergasted, there is ton of space, that Aria 10 chip is 30W only, that's a walk in a park to cool it, my 14 inch laptop can handle this while being virtually silent. And here you have room for 70mm centrifugal fan, giant heatsink and vapor chamber below it and for some reason they used boxed-in axial fan mounted on what looks like aluminium heatplate and heatpipes. Mind-boggling.

I may get the 38GN also from Costco, and just keep sending the 38GL back until finally invoking Magnuson-Moss and demanding refund.

You can see the die temperatures in service menu, turn monitor off, push the stick 3 times left, 1 time right, turn it back on and Settings menu in OSD will be replaced by service menu.

Associate
I did a little more digging. I checked the replacement fan in details, I have adjustable DC power source. Fan starts at 2V, at 3V the whine becomes audible, but barely, I had to shut down everything to hear it. Also shows a peak around 6kHz, but smaller and wider and to see it I had to put my phone mic right next to it, like 1cm away. At a distance that would correspond to the distance between fan and the top of the monitor I can't actually register anything, even at 5V. When put flat on table it gets definitely louder, the 6kHz peak grows larger and separates from surrounding frequencies. So yeah - the replacement fan alone definitely has the same characteristic.

Then I had a moment of clarity - look at that empty box housing the fan. Kind of looks like a guitar to me. The fan alone is not that bad, but it gets amplified inside. Contributing factor in my case may be that I have my desk in the middle of a room, the monitor mounted in open air, there is no wall behind it (just the door to another room) and I have 34'' monitor above it angled down in a way that reflects the sound coming out of the top 38GL vents to me.

I think I'll give up on replacing fan, I don't think it will make that much of a difference, sending it back for another repair job won't make a difference either, the whole arrangement need to be changed. I'm thinking on grabbing some broken single slot GPUs from ebay and see if I can make their coolers fit. For the fan connector looks like LG/Samsung TVs have the same style plugs, spliced 4 pin wire from them should do the trick.

But then - why should I have to do any of that after blowing $1900 (with tax) on it. I still can't believe some don't hear anything, either the fan is completely stopped or just a difference in sensitivity to some frequencies.

Associate
I did a little more digging. I checked the replacement fan in details, I have adjustable DC power source. Fan starts at 2V, at 3V the whine becomes audible, but barely, I had to shut down everything to hear it. Also shows a peak around 6kHz, but smaller and wider and to see it I had to put my phone mic right next to it, like 1cm away. At a distance that would correspond to the distance between fan and the top of the monitor I can't actually register anything, even at 5V. When put flat on table it gets definitely louder, the 6kHz peak grows larger and separates from surrounding frequencies. So yeah - the replacement fan alone definitely has the same characteristic.

Then I had a moment of clarity - look at that empty box housing the fan. Kind of looks like a guitar to me. The fan alone is not that bad, but it gets amplified inside. Contributing factor in my case may be that I have my desk in the middle of a room, the monitor mounted in open air, there is no wall behind it (just the door to another room) and I have 34'' monitor above it angled down in a way that reflects the sound coming out of the top 38GL vents to me.

I think I'll give up on replacing fan, I don't think it will make that much of a difference, sending it back for another repair job won't make a difference either, the whole arrangement need to be changed. I'm thinking on grabbing some broken single slot GPUs from ebay and see if I can make their coolers fit. For the fan connector looks like LG/Samsung TVs have the same style plugs, spliced 4 pin wire from them should do the trick.

But then - why should I have to do any of that after blowing $1900 (with tax) on it. I still can't believe some don't hear anything, either the fan is completely stopped or just a difference in sensitivity to some frequencies.

I am going to have to question the logic of trying to mod a £1500 monitor to fix it. Especially when so many amazing alternatives sizes /models are coming out this year. I read a 32 inch 4k fast refresh acer monitor is out in August as well. There is also the LG38 with no Gysnch and hence no gsynch fan. The samsung G9 odyssey as well

Last edited:
Associate

Ya, very odd. Only way I can hear my fan is if I put my ear up to the back of the monitor and I'm a pilot that gets hearing tests done every year with great results. I also keep my room pretty cool, ~19C so maybe that also keeps the fan RPM down.

Back
Top Bottom