Soldato
I'm sorry you guys are all struggling to get to sleep. Even though I've been off work injured for going on 2 years, after roughly 18 years of working nights over the years my body clock is just pretty much beggared. If it wasn't for the little one I probably wouldn't force myself to go to bed at all.

Soldato
I'm sorry you guys are all struggling to get to sleep. Even though I've been off work injured for going on 2 years, after roughly 18 years of working nights over the years my body clock is just pretty much beggared. If it wasn't for the little one I probably wouldn't force myself to go to bed at all.
Been long while since I did night shifts
But have always been a night person
Around 10pm no matter how tired
I am I just start to become
More awake
When I worked on a golf course
They wouldn't let me near a mower
Until after 10am lol
As at 7am I can't cut a straight line:D
And morning to you sigma

Soldato
I'm going through another bout of insomnia.

I had a couple of zopiclone tables nearly two hours ago and I'm still wide awake.
Yeah even 20mg of zopiclone doesn't do it when I have a bad night ~like tonight since 6~30am now and numerous attempts to sleep have failed
As a back up I have a bottle of phenergan anti hystamine liquid
How any one can use it as just anti hystamine I don't know
As it knocks you out ~though guess I should measure the dose not just swig it from the bottle lol
Don't like using it until desperate though as leaves you groggy most of the next day

Soldato
I'm going through another bout of insomnia.

I had a couple of zopiclone tables nearly two hours ago and I'm still wide awake.

Yeah even 20mg of zopiclone doesn't do it when I have a bad night ~like tonight since 6~30am now and numerous attempts to sleep have failed
As a back up I have a bottle of phenergan anti hystamine liquid
How any one can use it as just anti hystamine I don't know
As it knocks you out ~though guess I should measure the dose not just swig it from the bottle lol
Don't like using it until desperate though as leaves you groggy most of the next day

Curious. What is insomnia like? Does your brain kick into over drive so you can't sleep? Does it feel like you have a lot of energy or drained?

I rarely have sleepless nights and have never taken anything for them. But when I don't sleep usually my brain is "buzzing" and I can't stop thinking or relax.

Doubt it's anything as bad as you guys experience though!

Soldato
I was in hospital for surgery in January and after the surgery, I went 9 days with a total of 15 hours sleep. I genuinely thought I was going to die towards the end and my heart rate was all over place.

I don't know how insomniacs feel but the last 4 nights, I was given zopiclone and even that didn't work. The feeling when the zopiclone started kicking in but my body still didn't fall asleep was terrifying. It was hallucinations and palpatations with lots of dizziness.

How anyone sleeps on hospital wards is beyond me. I finally slept once I was discharged on the 10th day but it took me about 2-3 weeks to feel normal again.

Man of Honour
I was in hospital for surgery in January and after the surgery, I went 9 days with a total of 15 hours sleep. I genuinely thought I was going to die towards the end and my heart rate was all over place.

I don't know how insomniacs feel but the last 4 nights, I was given zopiclone and even that didn't work. The feeling when the zopiclone started kicking in but my body still didn't fall asleep was terrifying. It was hallucinations and palpatations with lots of dizziness.

How anyone sleeps on hospital wards is beyond me. I finally slept once I was discharged on the 10th day but it took me about 2-3 weeks to feel normal again.

Personally I have no problem sleeping on hospital wards, etc. as a kid I even spent a bit sleeping in a hospital corridor :s on the other hand I have a terrible time trying to sleep on aeroplanes - just can't drop off surrounded by strangers in that context it's weird.

But at a lesser level is what I feel like if I'm forced to sleep outside of my normal pattern - trying to work a 9-5 job long term is not a good for me as my sleeping pattern around those hours results in terrible sleep, I just feel like a zombie, slightly erratic heart rate, not quite feeling like I'm in my own body, etc. a lot of people don't understand it because they can naturally sleep around those hours and think people just need to adjust, etc. (EDIT: It is possible this is a consequence of spending too much time in my formative years like mentioned sleeping in environments where the lights were still on, etc.).

Soldato
Curious. What is insomnia like? Does your brain kick into over drive so you can't sleep? Does it feel like you have a lot of energy or drained

For me, I feel tired but often I have something on my mind and just keep thinking it over. Sometimes I even just have a song stuck in my head and repeat the lyrics over and over.

Other cause of sleeplessness for me is heat. Last week I was operating on 1 to 4 hours of sleep per night. I was a wreck by Friday. Luckily for some decent sleep at the weekend.

I’m also a very light sleeper so any unusual noises, especially if I’m not at home, will keep me up. I don’t sleep on trains and planes (only done short haul).

Soldato
Curious. What is insomnia like? Does your brain kick into over drive so you can't sleep? Does it feel like you have a lot of energy or drained?

I rarely have sleepless nights and have never taken anything for them. But when I don't sleep usually my brain is "buzzing" and I can't stop thinking or relax.

Doubt it's anything as bad as you guys experience though!
Guess it may be different for different people
Me I can be very physically tired
But my brain won't shut down thinking
About random things
Even to the point of worrying about not being able to sleep which of course stops
You sleeping lol

Soldato
I've had bouts of insomnia over the last fifteen years. Usually starts just on a Sunday... then creeps in to Sunday and Monday and sometimes can goes as far as Tue. And when you do finally get some sleep you toss and turn and wake up during the night.

I find that sleep is a skill. It's only when you loose the skill to sleep (insomnia) that you realize.

Soldato
Experiencing a midnight migraine so decided to read an article (well, part of, until I felt sick) on migraine attacks that come in the night.

Apparently insomnia and migraines are linked. I'm not good at getting a decent night's sleep. Even when I get the right 8 hours my watch tells me it was awful and didn't get enough deep sleep.

I'm not feeling great but I can't help but chuckle inside at my situation - get good sleep and you will have fewer migraines. Also - here's a migraine to wake you up and stop you sleeping.

Soldato
Unfortunately not.

I actually don't have much trouble sleeping during the day, I've been like this for going on 20 years. I've spoken to doctors about it but most default to stress and try to push anti-depressants on me, when the stress I have had was due partly to a lack of sleep.

Luckily I don't need to adhere to a 9-5 anymore and can keep my own hours, so outside of the odd responsibility it's become fairly manageable.

Man of Honour
Similar here - I don't have any problem sleeping, just can't do it around a 9-5 existence - it is an impossibility. Other hours I can sleep fine. Fortunately I've been able to work jobs I can fit around my hours.

Back
Top Bottom