Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
Was looking at RTINGS' burn-in test to see the updates and saw this guy's comments, poor sod got burn in from the netflix logo. :eek:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussio...ix-app-burn-in-photos-i-think-rtings-is-wrong

ACtC-3cwMU09Oblpto8vBMPliQioX7xTxLbevYMUEYgXX_xlSgS-ZwhTE9xSwdeLQsc0XveXNnuzuDVXlQo23jhYhyVFzVUyTTezfBOVT3UDNbUUJZwVlTMDihowsLd8VskZ5pYF87mgDL12WSmtD6cu-FA

Soldato
Ouch. My OLED turns to screensaver mode when paused for a few moments on netflix. I can see his TV is a E7 and since then there has been a shift in the pixel structure with the panels to help in terms of resilience I gather: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...d-tvs-technology-advancements-thread-483.html

Be interesting to see how the newer generation stuff lasts. I gather with the pixel structure change there has been other updates to help minimise the issue.

Associate
I just got my gz950 about a month back and have turned the luminance down and use zoom on the bbc1 and itv news in the morning to get rid of that sun and the red ticker

Soldato
Ouch. My OLED turns to screensaver mode when paused for a few moments on netflix. I can see his TV is a E7 and since then there has been a shift in the pixel structure with the panels to help in terms of resilience I gather: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...d-tvs-technology-advancements-thread-483.html

Be interesting to see how the newer generation stuff lasts. I gather with the pixel structure change there has been other updates to help minimise the issue.

As the wear is cumulative, all LG have really done is push the problem outside their warranty period. They really want to turn TVs into consumable items that you replace every few years.

Last edited:
Soldato
As the wear is cumulative, all LG have really done is push the problem outside their warranty period. They really want to turn TVs into consumable items that you replace every few years.

**** bro, Samsung must have learned this trick years ago because they keep sticking cheap components on the mainboard that dies within a few years - 3 TV's dead in the last 10 years from Samsung, nuff said.

Soldato
**** bro, Samsung must have learned this trick years ago because they keep sticking cheap components on the mainboard that dies within a few years - 3 TV's dead in the last 10 years from Samsung, nuff said.

But do they have screen burn in? :p Seriously, why did you keep buying Samsung TVs when the first and second one expired?

Soldato

Dang that sucks though not unexpected given nature of the tech, lets see how things look in 5 years. TBH for me, my OLED was brought as a placeholder for me anyways, Also love aspects of QLED also so really want to see something like mini-LED bring the best aspects together.

Dang that is unlucky for you. Fortunately been lucky with mine so far, working flawlessly, though not near 10 year mark.

Soldato
Don't forget people John Lewis is not in a good way and they may not even last that much longer in the current climate.

The John Lewis Warranty people seem to be buying on here is not actually a John Leis warranty. Its a domestic and general warranty, that you can get entirely separate without going via John Lewis.

Soldato
Don't forget people John Lewis is not in a good way and they may not even last that much longer in the current climate.

The Warranty is with Domestic and General who will most likely last a long time as a lot of people use them for a lot of different warranties. Heck a lot of OLED sellers are using D&G so you might be with them no matter what.. but the burn-in cover is an exclusive deal sold by JL.

For £150 extra, its really a no brainer for that little bit of peace of mind. Other retailers like Crampton and Moore will flat out reject burn in warranty repairs. Richersounds and Currys, you'll have to flip a coin but their pre-sales talk is quite open and honest 'no we don't cover it but we'll try to help you if we can'.

Following your logic.. maybe we should all just not buy anything and wait and see a couple of years for who goes under in the current financial climate.. (actually not a bad decision).

Soldato
The John Lewis Warranty people seem to be buying on here is not actually a John Leis warranty. Its a domestic and general warranty, that you can get entirely separate without going via John Lewis.

Yes and no. The burn in cover is exclusive to John Lewis (I confirmed this with D&G as I wanted to buy the TV from RS (cos I like them) and get warranty from D&G.

They said the burn in cover warranty 'protect plus' is exclusive to JL and their general warranty does NOT cover burn in.

.. just to clarify for people!

Soldato
Yes and no. The burn in cover is exclusive to John Lewis (I confirmed this with D&G as I wanted to buy the TV from RS (cos I like them) and get warranty from D&G.

They said the burn in cover warranty 'protect plus' is exclusive to JL and their general warranty does NOT cover burn in.

.. just to clarify for people!

Odd as when I called domestic and general using the material enclosed in the box they said it will cover accidental, burn in, component failure etc with a price of £150. Did not even ask where I brought it from. Did not bother as I consider the TV a placeholder anyways.

Soldato
Odd as when I called domestic and general using the material enclosed in the box they said it will cover accidental, burn in, component failure etc with a price of £150. Did not even ask where I brought it from. Did not bother as I consider the TV a placeholder anyways.

I've got it in writing that they don't cover burn in and will only cover it for TVs purchased from John Lewis so it might be worth getting in touch with them to clarify this.

I've sent them an email asking for clarification.. as this could save me some cash. I'll update you with their reply. but I know their previous stance with protect plus is JL exclusive.

Soldato
I've got it in writing that they don't cover burn in and will only cover it for TVs purchased from John Lewis so it might be worth getting in touch with them to clarify this.

Nice, what did they send exactly saying we do not cover burn in aside John lewis? A formal document of some sort?

Nah it does not bother me that much to get warranty at this point. Mostly grabbed it before it sold out to pair with upcoming GPUs. Right now we use our QLED (the horror) for viewing in general. Suspect the tele person may have just been pouring honey into my ears if the above is the case.

Soldato
Nice, what did they send exactly saying we do not cover burn in aside John lewis? A formal document of some sort?

Nah it does not bother me that much to get warranty at this point. Mostly grabbed it before it sold out to pair with upcoming GPUs. Right now we use our QLED (the horror) for viewing in general. Suspect the tele person may have just been pouring honey into my ears if the above is the case.

It was directly from the company when asked if they could provide similar burn in cover outside of John Lewis. They said they'd provide warranty but would not match the terms re: burn in like Protect Plus because its an exclusive deal with JL.

To be fair, aslong as its on your legally binding papers as per the warranty contract, you're all good :) Maybe you're one of the lucky ones they gave the wrong papers too :D

Soldato
I wonder if the 'accidental damage' part of home insurance would cover burn in?

I'm really happy with MY LG 65" E9, though the HDMI handshake issues and burn in concern ruin this to a degree. I am also mindful that I now have three previous Panasonic TVs relegated to other duties (a 902b and two Plasmas) that range from 4 to 12 years old and are still perfect, with no burn in despite years of gaming and other content.

I don't expect my LG to last anywhere near that long, and thats a shame. I understand built in obsolescence, but you should get more than three years out of a top tier TV. I maybe should have held out for the Panasonic 2000b, but lack of HDMI 2.1 was an issue. Guess we'll see how well I do on the LG burn in lottery.

Soldato
Burn in is not an accident it's wear and tear so no. But you can have a pre planned accident - push your tv over on purpose and get insurance to replace it

Soldato
Burn in is not an accident it's wear and tear so no. But you can have a pre planned accident - push your tv over on purpose and get insurance to replace it

Knocking your TV over by accident* is "an accident", pushing your TV over to get insurance to replace it is fraud.

Agreed it's almost impossible for an insurer to tell, unless you make a habit of pre-planned accidents but I guess that's what keeps premiums high ;)

* "an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury"

Back
Top Bottom