Advice improving my internet speed to PC (Fibre)

Associate
Hi all, question on improving my internet speed (I'm not very technologically literate when it comes to broadband/modems etc.) I just moved house and had Super Fibre installed. Using wifi on my phone I pull 60+mbs download and around 20mbs upload as expected for the package I pay for. My computer setup is upstairs, and my better half has blocked me from tapping a 20m ethernet cable all the way through the house and down the stairs can you believe it?!! So currently I am using a TP link powerline system, using ethernet from pc into it, then ethernet out the other end into the modem. This however is only pulling around 20mbs download and 1mbs upload. I took this out and also tried a modern 5ghz TP-Link WiFi USB Adapter, but this was slightly worse still than the powerline setup. My motherboard drivers are up to date. I wonder if maybe a 2.4 ghz wifi adapter would work better going through walls/ceilings than the 5ghz, or if there is a better option than the powerline setup? Any advice appreciated thanks!

Soldato
Ethernet installed properly wouldn't be visible anywhere inside the house (except for the outlets obviously). Drilling the walls and running a cable externally is often a decent option.

2.4GHz is better at going through ceilings/walls but is slower.

Powerline adapters should manage better than what you're seeing even on a bad day. Are they plugged directly into the wall? Have you tried different sockets? Did you set your own encrtption keys to stop them possibly cross-connecting with your neighbours?

Soldato
Powerline isn’t great, it’s quality depends on a number of factors including the quality of the wiring, sources of interference/noise etc. but it’s even less great when used on different circuits (upstairs and downstairs sockets are likely to be on different breakers), spur sockets or extensions. Most 5GHz adapters also do 2.4Ghz, and as suggested above 2.4 has much better penetration than 5. The best solution is always going to be to run a cable, it’s not that difficult to do, be it internal or external, once you take it up to the loft for example, it’s easy to drop down into any of the rooms discretely, or for example bring it in through a wall from outside.

Back
Top Bottom