Will I need an SDS to get through a standard cavity wall?

Permabanned
Hi, I just need to drill a single 12mm hole through a standard cavity wall - will a cordless hammer action do it with a 400mm bit? I will be going from outside to in so can go through mortar instead of brick on the outside.

I could buy a cheap titan SDS from Screwfix etc. Buy I will be up a ladder so want something not too heavy.... A decent cordless SDS + battery will be a bit out of my price too for a single hole.

Associate
If it's a single hole you're doing, and only 12mm, it might take a while, but you'll do it with a cordless hammer.

An SDS would do it a lot easier & quicker, but start with something small (4mm ish) and expand in stages (I'd probably do 4>8>10>12)

Soldato
If the inside wall is breeze block, you'll probably get through.

12mm is wider than most mortar courses though, and the bit will snag and stop, even with an SDS, if it's too narrow. You might want to go where there is a T in the mortar to get more room.

Soldato
I installed an outside tap with my cordless 18V. I had a 450mm 6mm and 22mm drill bit. Used the 6mm first then hit it with the 22mm no probs in my brick any way.

I just realized you will be up a ladder. That might not be so easy! Going up in more stages as someone else suggested will be the best bet!

Soldato
As you'll be up a ladder I'd also recommend setting the clutch to a fairly high setting as opposed to on the drill setting. That way if it snags the clutch will kick in as opposed to it yanking your hand round and risking pulling you off the ladder.

Soldato
You can't set a clutch on a combi drill and use the hammer action at the same time.

Hire/borrow an SDS for the day?

I assume you are putting in a cable of some kind? Have you considered going up to the sofit and back down the internal cavity between the internal block and plasterboard?

Permabanned
OP
Thanks for the replies, yes, inside skin is breeze block - am running some ethernet cable to the to my office which cannot really be done internally so the clipping it externally is my only option. Also I cannot drill from inside.

I think I will concentrate on getting the a 12mm hole through the mortar of the brickwork first with a shortish masonary bit, I will then switch to a 400mm bit to get through the inner skin. Guess if I take my time and work up to the 12mm bit I can probably avoid having to use the hammer action, although it may take some time.

Thanks for the tip about picking a spot where there is a T in the mortar!

Soldato
12mm seems pretty big for a network cable. 8mm should do it easy unless you are trying to keep the connector on the cable? Are you fitting a back box and data point in to your office? I used my cordless drill to chain drill a single socket size square in my 1980's property (really tough internal walls) and then finished up with a chisel.

Soldato
Should be easy, smaller hole first through the mortar and then widen with a larger piece. Finally get your long drill bit and it will go through the breeze blocks like butter. I personally think you are overthinking this, no way you need an SDS for 1 hole mostrly through mortar and breeze blocks. Use good quality bits.

Permabanned
OP
Should be easy, smaller hole first through the mortar and then widen with a larger piece. Finally get your long drill bit and it will go through the breeze blocks like butter. I personally think you are overthinking this, no way you need an SDS for 1 hole mostrly through mortar and breeze blocks. Use good quality bits.

Thanks, was just after a sanity check before giving it a go but the hints and tips have been helpful. The reason for the 12mm hole is so I can have the cable running through conduit i.e. some 10mm Johnn Guest pipe.

Soldato
You can't set a clutch on a combi drill and use the hammer action at the same time.

Hire/borrow an SDS for the day?

I assume you are putting in a cable of some kind? Have you considered going up to the sofit and back down the internal cavity between the internal block and plasterboard?

He's going through mortar and blockwork, it'll go through no problem. Will take ever to slightly longer but safer. Be completely different if he was going through brick.

Edit: although I have just twigged he's doing a 12mm hole,maybe that's asking a bit much of a combi without hammer on! Seems needlessly big and adding risk/additional damage to the wall and bricks for no gain. 7-8mm will nicely go between the bricks only damaging the mortar (so easy to repair in the future).

Soldato
Thanks, was just after a sanity check before giving it a go but the hints and tips have been helpful. The reason for the 12mm hole is so I can have the cable running through conduit i.e. some 10mm Johnn Guest pipe.

I wouldn't bother. I'd personally keep the hole as tight as you can then silicone round it afterwards. Avoids damage to the brickwork and far less risky when doing it up a ladder with a combi!

Permabanned
OP
I wouldn't bother. I'd personally keep the hole as tight as you can then silicone round it afterwards. Avoids damage to the brickwork and far less risky when doing it up a ladder with a combi!

Best way to feed the flexible cable through if not going through conduit?

Soldato
The father in law had a X council house - the inner bricks were like steel- One masonry bit per hole. - No SDS in those days. Never known bricks so hard.

Back
Top Bottom