MOT exemption from 30th March

Soldato
If I get the extension I'll not MOT it until the new due date. Not sure why you'd so anything different? Seems like a waste of money.

Plenty of reasons, if you think about it:

1. You have a car you dont want to get out in the autumn/winter months
2. You have a service due anyway, and for the small fee it's worth getting the MOT done at the same time to save booking it in twice
3. The vehicle needs some other repairs, so again it may be worth getting the MOT done at the same time
4. You'd like the car checked over for roadworthiness. This is important both for vehicles that are used and for those that are not used as often as usual.
5. You plan on selling the vehicle in the next few months

Soldato
rest seem valid enough but you dont *have* to get the car out any time. You can just take it for an MOT whenever you want even if its been expired for months.

The point I was making was, take my Morgan for example, if I take it for an MOT in June I am much less likely to have rain, wet roads, greasy roads, ice, salt, etc at that time than I am in November or December.

Man of Honour
The point I was making was, take my Morgan for example, if I take it for an MOT in June I am much less likely to have rain, wet roads, greasy roads, ice, salt, etc at that time than I am in November or December.

If it isn't used in those months you don't need to take it out just to get an MOT?

Soldato
If it isn't used in those months you don't need to take it out just to get an MOT?

That's not what I said at all. I still use it in the autumn/winter, but not on days with wet/icy/greasy roads. If I book an MOT three weeks ahead (typically), I dont know in advance what the weather will be that day. Rebooking again and again is hardly a good use of time. I also tend to use it in daylight hours mostly.

Soldato
If I get the extension I'll not MOT it until the new due date. Not sure why you'd so anything different? Seems like a waste of money.
Guess it depends what kind of car you have. Mine is old its 2004. If the extension like mine falls at the end of November start of December i'd rather not potentially have a big bill right before xmas to put it right. So if its done in October i'll be fine.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I got an extension on one of mine (other missed out), like Fox i will just get it done around the new date. Its just an inconvenience to me and a paper exercise to not get pulled over. I certainly wont bother any sooner than i have to :)

Soldato
Can I sorn one of my cars but leave it insured for theft ? Not much point in taxing end of the month as it is not going to used. It’s on my private driveway so sure that’s ok.

Yeah, of course.

Just SORN it online and get in touch with your insurance company to change to theft only, can't see there being much saving though.

Edit - just noticed it was a two month old post :p

Associate
Mandatory MOT testing is being re-instated on 1st August for England, Scotland and Wales. Wife's car's MOT expires on 24th July, so just sneaks in for the 6 month extension, then it is off to be sold as it has only done 65 miles since February and my car has only done 110 miles since March. Working from home means having 2 cars sat doing nothing is too much of a luxury, one car will be enough.

Soldato
Have they reverted this somewhat?

I seem to remember checking my car due in August after the earlier extension announcement and it said due in 2021.

Soldato
The extension is automatically added approx 7 days before your mot due date. I presume if you have had an extension it’s still valid until the end of the extension ?

Soldato
Soldato
I don't think that's quite true. It only applies if you have an MOT date due before 1st August.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mandatory-mot-testing-to-be-reintroduced-from-1-august

I technically had an extension granted into next year (it was showing on the Vehicle Enquiry check) but now it has reverted back to the original date.
Are you sure it was on the DVLA site and not some app which had estimated the extension ? The extensions haven't been getting granted until a week or so before the due date . Eg mine was due early may and some point at the end of April 6 months was added on to the due date.

If yours isnt due till August why would it have been extended ?

To check this I've just put in a car that runs out 11th July. On DVLA/gov site It still says it's due that date but I imagine this week will be extended

Caporegime
I don't think that's quite true. It only applies if you have an MOT date due before 1st August.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mandatory-mot-testing-to-be-reintroduced-from-1-august

I technically had an extension granted into next year (it was showing on the Vehicle Enquiry check) but now it has reverted back to the original date.

Mine is due on the 18th, nothing has been updated yet. As above, what you are saying seems to go against everything i've read.

Soldato
If your MOT is due before the 1st August it will be extended by 6 months approx 7 days before the due date. If it’s due on or after the 1st August you will need to go for an MOT as normal at a testing station.

My MOT was due on the 2nd of July it’s now showing as being due the 2nd Jan 2021.

Back
Top Bottom