• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Forgive my ignorance, but a quick Google shows that Renoir are Zen2 based. Is the FCLK so much faster because they're on a better TSMC process?

Can we definitely expect Zen3 FCLK to be at least as fast, or is there more to it all?

The memory controller is on 7nm, with Ryzen 3000 desktop chips the memory controller is 12nm.

Associate
Renoir is single chip. Infinity fabric can be clocked higher as it doesn't leave silicon.
It does not automatically mean Zen3 will enjoy same sort of FCLK, even if IO chip is 7nm

Soldato
I can't imagine that AMD aren't striving to improve the FCLK as much as possible, they've said in the past that IF or I/O <-> CPU speed was one of their main priorities since that is the basis for the chiplet design and continuous improvement is required to make it stay competitive.

I'd also think they'd be working on getting it at a minimum as 1:1 for DDR5 which will be starting at ~ 4,800MHz, so the FCLK will need to be 2,400MHz by then assuming they stick to the same design for future Zen4, so a increment to 2,133MHz would seem not unreasonable to expect on Zen3.

Soldato
Oh right, didn't know that. Zen 3 / 4000 desktop (I hope I'm getting this right) will have the memory controller on 7nm also though?

We have no idea if the I/O will be scaled to 7nm, it may be now they have more 7nm capacity available, but going to 7nm doesn't mean that the I/O will be better automatically.

Caporegime
Hopefully they manage to get the clocks up substantially as well. I hate the way cpus are advertised with the boost clock always being single core like that even matters for people buying a multicore chip. 5ghz all cores would be nice for the 8 or 12 core variants. :)

Associate
Its a stupid system
probably caused by fact that APUs are released with a significant delay after main architecture, thus being instantly overshadowed by next gen CPUs.

That is no excuse. Adding to confusion desync between Zen X and Ryzen Xxxx.
Adding to numbering overlap between Threadrippers and 3950x
Adding to XT tag now being shared between cpu and gpu.

AMD should slap their marketing department.

Soldato
Its a stupid system
probably caused by fact that APUs are released with a significant delay after main architecture, thus being instantly overshadowed by next gen CPUs.

That is no excuse. Adding to confusion desync between Zen X and Ryzen Xxxx.
Adding to numbering overlap between Threadrippers and 3950x
Adding to XT tag now being shared between cpu and gpu.

AMD should slap their marketing department.
To be fair, it's only us nerds who even know what "Zen" is, so for the actual consumer there isn't any confusion. Even with the APUs, the fact that they're a generation behind what the series nomenclature would imply is irrelevant to those who buy it.

Same goes with XT, if anything it actually ties together AMD's offerings as a cohesive brand. 5700 and 5700 XT graphics cards show they're in the same class, but the XT is the "bigger" of the 2. Granted the CPUs now have 3 to contend with, but XT is clearly the "biggest" of the a trio of CPUs, just like the GPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD actually drop the X for Zen 3-based CPUs in favour of XT so it really is the same nomenclature as the GPUs (although 2022 will be fun when the 5000 series land :p CPUs with the same names as 3-year old GPUs?).

it's a shame the age-old Navi leaks with their 3000-series names didn't pan out. OK, it was obviously a pop at Nvidia's RTX naming, just like the X399 motherboards was a pop at Intel's HEDT line, but to have 3000 series CPUs and 3000 series GPUs, and them moving in lock-step, would have been wonderful to portray a singular company offering. Hell, we could've even had the clueless idiots and fanbois proclaiming "to get the most out of your 3000 series Radeon, you have to pair it with a 3000 series Ryzen".

As for us enthusiasts, is it really so hard to keep track of the difference between Zen and Ryzen?

Fully agree with the Threadripper 3 naming, that was just retarded.

Last edited:
Associate
a shame the age-old Navi leaks with their 3000-series names didn't pan out. OK, it was obviously a pop at Nvidia's RTX naming, just like the X399 motherboards was a pop at Intel's HEDT line, but to have 3000 series CPUs and 3000 series GPUs, and them moving in lock-step, would have been wonderful to portray a singular company offering. Hell, we could've even had the clueless idiots and fanbois proclaiming "to get the most out of your 3000 series Radeon, you have to pair it with a 3000 series Ryzen".

I guess that would have led to confusion though, having a 3700XT as a graphics card and CPU. Either that or more increments of 50 to differentiate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom