Some thread about the London congestion charge

Permabanned
OP
You're more than welcome to read the paper yourself, it's the conservative government trying to tank a Labour mayor as they know they have no chance of winning the mayoral election without it.

There's plenty of valid reasons to criticise Khan, this is not one of them.

Why are you driving into central london anyway!?

There is no capacity and dirty.

Permabanned
OP
A few drives into central London will turn you into Colonel Kurtz
Now it’s gone insane to drive in central London. Seriously need heavy medication to drive I. Central London and be able to take in all the sign information on the roads.

There are roads For example one road goes from 3O then 3 meters on the floor it says 20 then 4 meters sign saying 30 then another floor sign saying 20, that is insane.

Some of the roads designs are insane, two mini aroundabouts 4 meters apart. People get so confused it’s hilarious.

Last edited:
Associate
Khan could spend the rest of his term in on the lash in Marbella and still win the capital.

Cant imagine tory HQ have the slightest hope they could win, their best tactic is to let Khan be himself.

Caporegime
A few drives into central London will turn you into Colonel Kurtz

Yeah I've had to do it a few times...proper central London I mean (won a competition and stayed overnight at The May Fair)

It was ok driving in, but getting out was really busy.

Pre-covid I often used to drive from Chelmsford to Stratford Westfield and get the tube in from there, that's not a bad drive.

Associate
Yeah I've had to do it a few times...proper central London I mean (stayed at the May Fair)

It wasn't great.

Pre-covid I often used to drive to Stratford Westfield and get the tube in from there, that's not a bad drive.

I've only driven towards London once, Royal Albert Hall, not sure that's considered central but still generally found it quite pleasant. No worse than Southampton at rush hour

Man of Honour
Now it’s gone insane to drive in central London.

London isn't designed for cars and people shouldn't be driving in central london unless they have no choice.

There is no capacity and dirty.

Plenty of capacity on the trains at the moment, I had zero issues social distancing on a train through central london during rush hour.

Where are you coming from and what shops are not available close to where you live?

Permabanned
OP
London isn't designed for cars and people shouldn't be driving in central london unless they have no choice.

Plenty of capacity on the trains at the moment, I had zero issues social distancing on a train through central london during rush hour.

Where are you coming from and what shops are not available close to where you live?

There were no problems years ago, but ever since they started to tinker with road designs it has become considerably worse.

3 lane roads going into two or even one Lane, that is after a yellow box junction.
Traffic on roads that have no history of traffic.

Permabanned
Petition is a massive turd, reads like someone crying as he insulted fat boy racist Trump. Plus they fail to use capital letters and the layout is appalling.

No likey, no signey.

Khan has been there 4 years? is it all his fault? lets not forget which bumbling incompetent was there before.

Associate
There were no problems years ago, but ever since they started to tinker with road designs it has become considerably worse.

3 lane roads going into two or even one Lane, that is after a yellow box junction.

"Years ago" there were far less people in and around London, and fewer cars per household.

Permabanned
OP

I had to get a district line a few weeks ago ended up walking it was bumper to bumper.

Permabanned
OP
"Years ago" there were far less people in and around London, and fewer cars per household.

Britain’s biggest city has almost ground to a halt, thanks to the rise of Uber, delivery drivers – and cycle lanes. Can anything be done to end the gridlock and pollution?

London has achieved the impossible by eradicating the private car – and still having desperate traffic congestion,” says Prof Tony Travers, the director of LSE London, a research centre at the London School of Economics that explores the city’s economic and social concerns. “People keep saying we need to get the cars off the road. In central London, there aren’t any.”

Man of Honour
Britain’s biggest city has almost ground to a halt, thanks to the rise of Uber, delivery drivers – and cycle lanes. Can anything be done to end the gridlock and pollution?

Get on your bike then!

Brompton Cemetery is a decent location to reach major shopping hubs, you're less then an hours walk away from Westfield, High Street Ken, Wandsworth Town, Hammersmith, Kings Road etc. etc. All reachable in under 20mins by bike!

Permabanned
OP
Ban cars entirely and invest in bike lanes and electric public transport.

Who will pay for it? At the moment there are roadworks on almost every street in my part of London.
I can’t cycle Or walk from west to east London twice a day, car is the only solution.

Capodecina
Soldato
Prof Tony Travers, the director of LSE London, a research centre at the London School of Economics that explores the city’s economic and social concerns says “People keep saying we need to get the cars off the road. In central London, there aren’t any.”
Based on my last visit to Central London earlier this year, Professor Tony Travers should visit Specsavers ;)

ps - bicycles don't cause pollution - I can't comment on Ubers but I suspect that many of them are "Hybrid", they will eventually be replaced by EVs. Diesel cabs should be outlawed immediately. It is hard to see what one can do about delivery vans - insist thatthey be EVs and make them operate in the middle of the night?

pps - why can't you cycle from West to East London every day? If the roads are so blocked it should be a doddle. Car is NOT the solution.

Caporegime
I can't be arsed fact checking the numbers and stats in that petition but the fact it looks like it was written by a 10 year old angry Trump supporter means I probably wouldn't sign it anyway.

This conversation is also done to death, never achieves anything. The cyclists go "buy a bike ehrmahgehrd" and everyone else go "ehrmahgehrd leave my roads alone ehrmahgehrd".

The simple fact is that London is dependent on all forms of transport, and the centuries old infrastructure simply isn't able to accommodate all of them amicably, so people bicker and argue and have done for decades. It's not gonna stop, there is no single solution no matter who lobbies hardest or loudest.

My favourite however was when the Green Party tried to get all non-bicycle vehicles banned years ago. Yes, including buses and vans. It was rather humorous when someone interviewed the person behind it all and asked how restaurants and shops would get stock, she just stood there completely stumped.

Back
Top Bottom