Electric Scooters could soon be legal...

Soldato
The scary thing is people will be allowed to ride it without a licence and they'll probably do it on pavements and cycle lanes.

Something like that will never be road legal here. Just because something is an electric scooter doesn’t mean it will be made street legal. Expect anything legal to be limited to 15.5mph like an ebike.

Soldato
Any update on the legalities of these yet?

The government released a consultation a week or so back. Had questions regarding speed, need for a provisional drivers license as a minimum requirement and a few other bits. Looks to be rental only.

Ironically, after wanting these to be legal for ages for my 1.5 mile journey to work, I'm thinking I'd be better off with a commuter bike due to ease to lock up outside shops and my level of fitness during the lockdown sky rocketing to the point where these escooters are looking a little slow in comparison.

Soldato
My kids are really good on their hoverboards. My son's party trick is to do a 360 drift at speed. :eek:

I got one for Christmas a couple of years back, just for a laugh - and, although I got the hand relatively quickly, they are terrifying to ride. You have to put all your faith in the electronics and motors to keep you upright.

I kept it long enough to let all my friends have a go at our Christmas party. Was well worth it of the laughs, but after that I was quite happy to sell it on. It was quite a bit more powerful than the kids ones.

OXJ2rnc.jpg

Soldato
Ah man. Had my first accident with the scooter on Friday. Front wheel came loose and I completely stacked it.

Got a bad case of gravel rash all over. I was wearing a helmet, but didn't actually hit my head. My palms, elbows, knees and back are in a bad state though. :(

Soldato
Ouch, as a grown man I’ve only come off my bike once on some ice. Like you I had a helmet on but didn’t hit my head but you never forget having your skin taken off like a cheese grater!

Was it a mechanical failure or something that can be picked up in general maintenance in the future?

Soldato
Do you honestly think CEX will buy them...? They are GPS tracked, and phone home constantly. To get a stolen one to work you’d have to replace all the internal electronics at which point you might as well just buy a scooter. That said it doesn’t stop people stealing encrypted phones that you can’t unlock....

The main issue is them being vandalised like the bikes in Manchester.

Soldato
I was wearing a helmet, but didn't actually hit my head. My palms, elbows, knees and back are in a bad state though. :(
Just like every incident I've ever had in 30 odd years of riding bikes on and off road including getting hit head on by a Ford Mondeo :p I still wear a helmet 90% of the time but I won't even consider heading out on anything wheeled without at least some fingerless mits on. As soon as you start heading for the deck you naturally stick your hands out and I've saved some nasty injuries by having gloves on. Hopefully you'll recover soon.

I'm not against electric scooters but unfortunately round here at least they seem to be the new must have for the local chavs so I can see them getting a bad rep pretty soon.

Soldato
Ouch, as a grown man I’ve only come off my bike once on some ice. Like you I had a helmet on but didn’t hit my head but you never forget having your skin taken off like a cheese grater!

Was it a mechanical failure or something that can be picked up in general maintenance in the future?
The font bolt is bolted similar to a bike. Must had just worked itself loose. I've not got the strength at the moment to lift it back out the boot of the car. I expect there's no actual mechanical damage bar a few scrapes. Checking those bolts front and back will be an important part of my future maintenance routine.

Soldato
Hope you're better soon ..

ummh mechanical failure - need to get to the bottom of that .. the mechanicals look more hidden from a regular visual inspection than a bike.

I've saved some nasty injuries by having gloves on
yes ... even if I sometimes cycle with shorts/Tshirt helmet&gloves are always mandatory ... you've much less hesitation to take the brunt of the shock/crash on your hands.

Rental scooters to be allowed in near future. Somehow Middlesbrough of all places is the pilot town.
I can't see ? - these will be tested exclusivley on the roads ... not even cycle lanes. ?
unless they have some kind of tv campaign, like the "think once think twice think bike" cant see how there won't be pulling out collisions
... drivers are trained to recognise bkes/bicycles, but something looking like a pedestrian ?
The vehicles are banned on pavements, will be limited to 15.5mph and it is recommended that riders wear helmets.

edit: I suppose these could be added to the subsidised cycle to work scheme, if, private ownership legalized

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom