• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

From 5820K to...?

Associate
Some early batches of 5820k's did struggle, 4.3ghz was a good 24/7 clock on those.

However, I went through a few of them and knew more than a handful of people who had one and they could all do 4.5ghz at or under 1.3v. You also needed a motherboard with the OC socket.

The Asus boards with the OC socket helped with Memory overclocking and Cache (never bothered with Cache overclocking myself , didn't seem to make a jot of difference outside synthetics) it had virtually zero effect for cpu overclocking unless you were pushing north of 1.5v on Ln2.

Caporegime
I never pushed memory speed but have my Corsair Dominator Plats running 2400 - 10 - 12 - 12 - 28 - 1T with tuned seconds and thirds.

In terms of cache overclocking and gaming, I've only seen some select benchmarks with improvements and this was only at 4k resolution.

Associate
X99 is a cut price Xeon platform repurposed for the desktop market. Hence why it’s problematic when you try pushing out of its design brief.

I’ve put a lot of time in on X99. It is what it is.

I don't understand what the point you're trying to make is here ? X99 was a great platform and still not a bad platform by any means now,i had a lot of fun overclocking and tweaking. At the time if you wanted High core counts and performance x99 was the way to go and stands up to the test of time and when overclocked can mix it up with the latest tech.

Soldato
Some early batches of 5820k's did struggle, 4.3ghz was a good 24/7 clock on those.

However, I went through a few of them and knew more than a handful of people who had one and they could all do 4.5ghz at or under 1.3v. You also needed a motherboard with the OC socket.

Some can’t do 4.2 stable... I would consider 4.4 with reasonable voltage a good chip.

90% of the 5820K’s probably come from the last bin Intel had, however at the time the performance was reasonable for the price and if you could leverage the quad channel memory and make use of the extra PCI-E lanes you could build a decent enough system around them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't understand what the point you're trying to make is here ? X99 was a great platform and still not a bad platform by any means now,i had a lot of fun overclocking and tweaking. At the time if you wanted High core counts and performance x99 was the way to go and stands up to the test of time and when overclocked can mix it up with the latest tech.

All Intels ranges of X platforms are compromised in some way hence way they are now dead. X99 wasn’t a great platform from my experience, it was OK at the time depending on what you intended to use it for. I wouldn’t spend much to keep one alive and would swap a 5820K system for any Ryzen 6 core system in a heartbeat.

I suppose I’m saying don’t expect to much if anything in the way of performance from tweaking a 5820K system as it was designed to be be a compromise. To say a 5820K system is basically* a Ryzen 3600 system is laughable. AM4 wipes the floor with X99.

Soldato
Almost all of them will do 4.5

So your saying your 1800x is the same as my 5960x?

Any proof of all this?

Google “5960X vs Ryzen 1800X” Id think my 1800X would be faster in most situations. Apart from maybe scenarios that can leverage the quad channel ram.

Are you saying your 5960X system is the same as my Zen 7702 system?

Are you saying a 5820K is the same as 3600?

Are you saying all 5820K’s will do 4.5?

Are saying X99 has no memory issues?

I had 15-20 minutes free so googled for you.

Tested March 2017

5960X
1800X

It's probably worth noting the test was on an early X370 motherboard BIOS, pre patched OS, early release AGESA version and 2400 memory vs 2666. Not an ideal config for the 1800X but a reasonable head to head comparison.

Associate
All Intels ranges of X platforms are compromised in some way hence way they are now dead. X99 wasn’t a great platform from my experience, it was OK at the time depending on what you intended to use it for. I wouldn’t spend much to keep one alive and would swap a 5820K system for any Ryzen 6 core system in a heartbeat.

I suppose I’m saying don’t expect to much if anything in the way of performance from tweaking a 5820K system as it was designed to be be a compromise. To say a 5820K system is basically* a Ryzen 3600 system is laughable. AM4 wipes the floor with X99.

No one here is comparing stock for stock, and i'm struggling to find Overclocked x99 vs ryzen comparisons, the point being that Intel K and x series cpu's are intended to be overclocked and arguably Ryzen is VERY limited in this regard.

Anyway the whole point of this thread was is x99 worth upgrading from yet ? , if you have money to burn then yes , if you have that itch for new tech then yes , if you need lots more cores then yes, upgrading from a 5820k @ 4.5 to a 3600 ? No , pointless , upgrading from a 4.5ghz 5960x to a 3700 ? pointless.

You can 'promote' AMD as much as you like and there is no denial here of the merits of the new Ryzen cpu line up , but at the moment its not exactly groundbreaking night and day stuff especially when comparing core count to core count , and whilst the Ryzen cpu launch showed a huge turning point from AMD's abysmal FX and A-series cpus i was actually surprised that the relative performance gap is so small considering the large differences in process nodes , if anything Intel should be commended as equally as AMD , 7nm VS 14nm and Amd still aren't pulling ahead in an meaningful way (I say meaningful as in people ditching their X99 , Z98. Z97 even X79 ditching their systems in droves )

Associate
I had 15-20 minutes free so googled for you.

Tested March 2017

5960X
1800X

It's probably worth noting the test was on an early X370 motherboard BIOS, pre patched OS, early release AGESA version and 2400 memory vs 2666. Not an ideal config for the 1800X but a reasonable head to head comparison.

I'd like to add that when i recently moved on from my x99 and 6950x i really struggled with a choice between Intel and Ryzen , i primarily game these days with the occasional need for Vm, i don't need a billion cores , power consumption is neither here of there to me , if i was worried about that i would't have water cooling , a gazillion fans and silly lights, ultimately my passion is overclocking/gaming and Intel still ticks that box, its arguably a more stable platform and memory support isn't a headache.

Soldato
What sort of OC'ing have you done on the new system? How much headroom is there with a water cooling setup?

It should happily sit at 5ghz all day long on a custom loop, will probably push to 5.1-5.2 with a little bit of work.

I wouldn't personally say it's worth spending best part of £100 more on over a Ryzen 3600, but if all you do is game and you're chasing FPS or want to mess about with OC'ing it's probably one of the best chips Intel has put out in years tbh.

Soldato
I'd like to add that when i recently moved on from my x99 and 6950x i really struggled with a choice between Intel and Ryzen , i primarily game these days with the occasional need for Vm, i don't need a billion cores , power consumption is neither here of there to me , if i was worried about that i would't have water cooling , a gazillion fans and silly lights, ultimately my passion is overclocking/gaming and Intel still ticks that box, its arguably a more stable platform and memory support isn't a headache.

One platform is significantly better than the other. It’s not much of a decision.

Soldato
No one here is comparing stock for stock, and i'm struggling to find Overclocked x99 vs ryzen comparisons, the point being that Intel K and x series cpu's are intended to be overclocked and arguably Ryzen is VERY limited in this regard.

Anyway the whole point of this thread was is x99 worth upgrading from yet ? , if you have money to burn then yes , if you have that itch for new tech then yes , if you need lots more cores then yes, upgrading from a 5820k @ 4.5 to a 3600 ? No , pointless , upgrading from a 4.5ghz 5960x to a 3700 ? pointless.

You can 'promote' AMD as much as you like and there is no denial here of the merits of the new Ryzen cpu line up , but at the moment its not exactly groundbreaking night and day stuff especially when comparing core count to core count , and whilst the Ryzen cpu launch showed a huge turning point from AMD's abysmal FX and A-series cpus i was actually surprised that the relative performance gap is so small considering the large differences in process nodes , if anything Intel should be commended as equally as AMD , 7nm VS 14nm and Amd still aren't pulling ahead in an meaningful way (I say meaningful as in people ditching their X99 , Z98. Z97 even X79 ditching their systems in droves )

I was just trying to help KWE out. Worst case a Ryzen 1800X is faster than 5960X. Just like a 1600X is faster than a 5820K.

Ryzen 3000 offers significantly more performance than all of them.

Associate
What sort of OC'ing have you done on the new system? How much headroom is there with a water cooling setup?

It will hit 5.3 all core no problems, but i'm playing with the per-core overclocking at the moment, no idea what it would be with air cooling , i haven't air cooled a cpu in years.

Soldato
It will hit 5.3 all core no problems, but i'm playing with the per-core overclocking at the moment, no idea what it would be with air cooling , i haven't air cooled a cpu in years.

What sort of v-core is that on out of interest?

They're impressive chips for sure as long as you put the work in, if I wasn't an infrequent up-grader I'd have been tempted by one myself.

Soldato

Thanks that is interesting data. I'm putting together a system for a person who insists on staying WC, but I said unless he goes Intel there's little to no point. I toyed with the 10600K for the build but 6c/12t seems weak and out of date looking forward a few years. I might see if we can put a 10700K in it, and keep in budget due to WC absorbing some of it.

Associate
I was just trying to help KWE out. Worst case a Ryzen 1800X is faster than 5960X. Just like a 1600X is faster than a 5820K.

Ryzen 3000 offers significantly more performance than all of them.

I get it , but this is an enthusiasts forum, we get it , Ryzen is a good cpu, but intel make good cpu's too. Problem is Jigger you come across like a Salesman in Pcworld that just won't stop trying to sell you product insurance, its tiresome. I know you mean well , just give it rest , please.

Soldato
I get it , but this is an enthusiasts forum, we get it , Ryzen is a good cpu, but intel make good cpu's too. Problem is Jigger you come across like a Salesman in Pcworld that just won't stop trying to sell you product insurance, its tiresome. I know you mean well , just give it rest , please.

You’re pulling the wrong person. Some seriously stupid comments in this thread. Really detached from reality.

Soldato
Thanks that is interesting data. I'm putting together a system for a person who insists on staying WC, but I said unless he goes Intel there's little to no point. I toyed with the 10600K for the build but 6c/12t seems weak and out of date looking forward a few years. I might see if we can put a 10700K in it, and keep in budget due to WC absorbing some of it.

It lacks longevity that's for sure, great chip for current games but as per the norm for Intel it's already on a dead platform.

In a few years time a decent B450/B550/X570 based build will still have plenty of options even if you go second hand for a 4950X or something silly, and you can get a 3700X as of now for the same sort of money you'd spend on a 10600K.

I'd still like to know the settings for that 5.3GHZ day to day OC though! Genuinely interested, I can't see anything beating that chip at those clocks in gaming with current titles outside of the odd outlier.

Soldato
It lacks longevity that's for sure, great chip for current games but as per the norm for Intel it's already on a dead platform.

In a few years time a decent B450/B550/X570 based build will still have plenty of options even if you go second hand for a 4950X or something silly, and you can get a 3700X as of now for the same sort of money you'd spend on a 10600K.

Yes, I know. This build isn't for me, I'd dump the pointless WC, and go with a Zen2 based build given that the end user only plays a few games which are mainly old like GTA V and some other arcade style racing games, oh and the Anno series. The rest of the time it will be WFH office based stuff and some photo editing, with some light programming as well, nothing at all challenging.

Associate

I'd still like to know the settings for that 5.3GHZ day to day OC though! Genuinely interested, I can't see anything beating that chip at those clocks in gaming with current titles outside of the odd outlier.

I got a stable 5.3 at 1.389v ,i set an AVX offset of 2 , not for stability but because i don't use AVX outside of benchmarks so i didn't see the point in stressing the cpu in ways i will never get the advantage of. Temps were in the low 80's under max stress and 50's-60's whilst gaming.

As for longevity of the platform that's why i got the 10600k , i don't need anything more right now , Rocket Lake will be a completely new architecture so just like Ryzen there will be plenty of upgrade options to choose from 10900k's to whatever Rocket Lake has to offer. So unless you bought the highest tier cpu for your platform there are always upgrade paths for every platform to keep it relevant e.g The people rocking 2500k's , the 2600k and 2700k offer a great upgrade path (obviously price dependent), X79 users on 3820 i7's gave good options too , the list goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom