When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
35p/KW and m3~ 250W/mile ~ 9p/mile - versus a 50mpg ice ~ £5/gall ~ 10p/mile

yes that would be a bit soul destroying ... like having to perpetually pay Shell/Vpower petrol prices

Why? Most of the charging will still be at home at cheaper rates. So if you blend the cost of a full charge at home and a rapid top up en route the journey will still be cheaper than ICE.

There will always be a premium for the convenience and hardware costs. I think Instavolt are reasonably priced.

Now if 7kw charging posts started pricing the same I would start to have an issue!

Soldato

yes that would be a bit soul destroying ... like having to perpetually pay Shell/Vpower petrol prices

Electric charging isn't the same as filling up an ICE. As above most charging will be done at cheaper rates, either at home, work or via other charging networks (even Tesla's superchargers are 25p/kW), and in any case you only fill up what you need to get to your destination/the next charger. Ain't nobody going to fill up a a Model 3 from 0-100% at a McDonalds, even if that was possible.

Soldato
Yeah i don't see an issue with the pricing, 95% of your charging will be done at home or somewhere cheap so occasionally having to pay the rough equivalent of a diesel car ppm to top up isn't too bad especially when you'll only realistically be charging at most 70% of the battery from 10-80% so in pounds and pence it won't be that much. In a SR model 3 it'd cost around £13 which i'd happily pay on a trip at a faster than average charger somewhere i can grab some food and use the toilet.

Soldato

If you could point me to the ICE that 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and at 50mpg that would be great.
If you absolutely hammer a model 3 you will get 3 miles per KW.

Soldato
Electric charging isn't the same as filling up an ICE. As above most charging will be done at cheaper rates, either at home, work or via other charging networks (even Tesla's superchargers are 25p/kW), and in any case you only fill up what you need to get to your destination/the next charger. Ain't nobody going to fill up a a Model 3 from 0-100% at a McDonalds, even if that was possible.
Yep but this is very difficult for ICE drivers to understand.

Soldato
( this thread after multiple attempts isn't going to resolve the I don't have off road parking, how will I charge at <35p/KW dilema; currently only a few councils really allow cables across pavements )

If you could point me to the ICE that 0-60 in 3.2 seconds and at 50mpg that would be great.
If you absolutely hammer a model 3 you will get 3 miles per KW.
OK - I didn't know consumption doesn't drop, massively like an ICE (maybe some throttling, but even so)
I thought it was interesting that in recent f10vsf30 BMW discussion no one mentioned that you might sacrifice the f10 interior quality for f30 handling/nimbleness,
which, is similarly, a counterpoint to the tesla m3 3.2seconds.

Are McDo getting a tax break/subsidy, or, have a corporate alliance with charging company ?

Soldato
( this thread after multiple attempts isn't going to resolve the I don't have off road parking, how will I charge at <35p/KW dilema; currently only a few councils really allow cables across pavements )

Why would any forum thread solve this? What a daft thing to say.

No one is telling you that you have to buy an EV either, if you can't charge it at home and don't want to have the 'inconvenience' of charging it elsewhere then simply don't buy one. It really is that simple.

Infrastructure isn't going to appear overnight, come back in 3 years and then complain if nothing has moved on, but really you want to be writing to your local council not on this forum if you want anything to happen at all.

I'm the same, well I do have off road parking but as access is over a public area between my space and garage vs my house I cant charge there either since I can get the power across.

A high proportion of people will be in the same boat and it will require changes before mass adoption, at which point there will be similar levels of price war to what happens right now with petrol/diesel
In fact it will probably be that x 1000 since practically everywhere that has parking spots will technically be able to turn into a charging point
With my weekly commute being 200 miles approx, a 250+ mile car (genuine in winter) I could get away with charging weekly say when I go to Tesco, and there must me a high percentage who this applies to. Question is will 40 minutes in shop be enough to charge that 200 miles I need to refil.

Its hard to predict where it will go, will there be in road charging as well, will tere be cars with replaceable or semi replaceable batteries

I have something in the back of my mind someone may do a hybrid type position, less permanently installed batteries plus teh ability to "plug some more in"
As we know many people dont need lots of range most of the time, so this would allow for the extra range when needed.

As for the cost specifically, people need to get over the cost benefits/problems, its going to be what its going to be.
General taxation which is subsidised by fuel benefit will have to adapt once the revenue really starts to trail off. We are going to have to find a way to get more revenue in over time to pay for Covid as well.

I cant see how general motoring is going to be cheaper for most once electric is mainstream, its an early adopter benefit right now, but then equally they are paying more for the product than I suspect it will cost in real terms later down the line so ist balancing out to some extent.

This could well be really good for local councils, get the infrastructure in place to allow on road charging, charge some sort of premium but not excessive and it could really support them.
National governments have been starving the local ones, constantly cutting the general taxation passed back down, fuel duty not going central, but an electric premium going local could be the switch we need.

Some people will do it because its the right thing to do, some its economics, some its being different.

Soldato

OK - I didn't know consumption doesn't drop, massively like an ICE (maybe some throttling, but even so)
I thought it was interesting that in recent f10vsf30 BMW discussion no one mentioned that you might sacrifice the f10 interior quality for f30 handling/nimbleness,
which, is similarly, a counterpoint to the tesla m3 3.2seconds.

Are McDo getting a tax break/subsidy, or, have a corporate alliance with charging company ?

from my analysis the amount of electricity used by evs is related directly to the speed. An ev actually uses less energy crawling along in creeping traffic whereas an ice is at its worst.

Soldato

The chargers are owned and operated by InstaVolt, InstaVolt have benefited from some funding if you read the press release.

McDonald’s will likely receive a rent payment for the space on their property but they may give them away for free as it drives customers to the location. It’s a long term strategic land grab at the end of the day just like then they had 3rd parties install cash machines outside the restaurants before card payments were more common place.

Soldato
So I am finally going electric! (to answer the original question posed by this thread).

I have on order a Corsa-e Elite Nav Launch Edition in Voltaic Blue through our employee car scheme. It's noticeably cheaper than my GrandlandX so I really cant lose. I am no longer commuting daily (my new place of work is home, on a permanent basis) so my wife will be the principal driver we expect.

The Corsa-e has a 50kw battery and a 136ps motor. It does 0-60 in 7.6 seconds, and will rapid charge up to 100kw.

Elite Nav spec has most of what you need: matrix LED headlights, heated seats / steering wheel, panoramic rear view camera, 7" instrument display, keyless entry/start.

I need to get my Andersen charger ordered now. Price (after £350 grant) is £1,125 with the longer 8.5m cable (future-proofed to reach two cars parked on the driveway). It should be installed with no external cabling to the box, and the charging cable itself fits inside the box as well. Very neat and tidy. :) The 8-week lead-time means I might need a granny cable for a week or two at some point.

It is the same colour as the one Fully Charged have just reviewed. https://youtu.be/PF6aatgole8

Should be a nice little car for every-day use. :). We have something bigger as well should we require it.

One-step toward my goal of being exclusively electric of V8-powered. :cool:

Soldato
The motor has roughly the same efficiency at 'any' speed. But as wind resistance goes up, so does energy usage.

I take your point that ev engine efficiency is more even across rpm, if it was a spirited drive (like the next girl) you are accelerating a slightly bigger mass too, but if the W/mile,
say, only degraded 250->330, that would be much better outcome than an ICE*, the heat build-up in either the (electric/relucatance) motor, or the invertor, would decrease the efficiency, analogous to heat in an ICE (piston/drive friction/losses),.

[* you could cane an ice and divide the mpg by 3 from say 55mpg to 20mpg]

edit:
It is the same colour as the one
nice colour. ... its estoril blueish

Last edited:
Soldato
I need to get my Andersen charger ordered now. Price (after £350 grant) is £1,125 with the longer 8.5m cable (future-proofed to reach two cars parked on the driveway). It should be installed with no external cabling to the box, and the charging cable itself fits inside the box as well. Very neat and tidy. :) The 8-week lead-time means I might need a granny cable for a week or two at some point.

Any reason you've gone for an Anderson? They're bloody expensive for nothing that any other charger can do.

Or are you the aesthetics > all guy with the garage?

Soldato
Any reason you've gone for an Anderson? They're bloody expensive for nothing that any other charger can do.

Or are you the aesthetics > all guy with the garage?

Agree - Anderson prices are a joke - Nice to look at but does the same as every other charger. I paid £250 after grants for my Rolec (basically £900 cheaper than Anderson install). Does exactly the same thing.

Soldato
Can anyone please recommend me a tethered charger which:

- will be installed with no external cabling showing
- will allow the charging cable to be coiled up inside the charger
- come with an 8.5m long cable
- is not made from plastic, and therefore will still look good in 10 or 20 years time, and is available in a smart-looking finish

Happy to go with a cheaper option if there is one that ticks these boxes. Thank you :)

The grant reducing from £500 to £350 will make the price look worse as well, it's worth noting.

For some, this looks good. Me, I'm not so sure. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

EbCXx-DXkAA6xnj

They've even had to put a plant in front of the charger to hide it! :D

Back
Top Bottom