CSCS card- who's done it?

Soldato
For those that have one is it possible to self study for it? If so are the books of any use?

I need to clarify with them what color I need to apply for. I'm thinking it will add an extra string to my bow and something to do for the mind.

Tea Drinker
Don
CSCS card will mean you can start immediately, it's not a legal requirement to have one if you can prove competency however most firms use it as a minimum standard so the site managers aren't expected to make a call.

What trade are you looking?

Mine's white as a professionally qualified person albeit it's about 5 years out of date :p

Associate
You can download an app with all the questions for the various health and safety test options, however if you're not vocationally or academically qualified I can only assume it's either a Green Labourers card you'll be going for? Believe these also require a CITB test.

I was nearly sorted for my White card before the lockdown, no news on when our test centre is reopening yet but there's no site visits anytime soon either so no rush.

Soldato
OP
No no. Which card? No point in just going for a random colour. They reflect trades and positions. Do you have a trade?

Ah sorry, cause I did say wasn't sure which colour I need to apply for I jumped and thought you didn't know what the CSCS card is.
Currently studying for an HNC in architectural technology, I think looking at the website again it would be the red trainee card. Although job positions I would be applying for would be more along the lines of project manager.

Caporegime
Ah sorry, cause I did say wasn't sure which colour I need to apply for I jumped and thought you didn't know what the CSCS card is.
Currently studying for an HNC in architectural technology, I think looking at the website again it would be the red trainee card. Although job positions I would be applying for would be more along the lines of project manager.

An HNC in architectural tech is unlikely to lead to a PMs position. I'd honestly expect you be based in a DO with that kind of qual and then most likely needing a site visitor card which I think is yellow from memory.

Soldato
OP
An HNC in architectural tech is unlikely to lead to a PMs position. I'd honestly expect you be based in a DO with that kind of qual and then most likely needing a site visitor card which I think is yellow from memory.

We've had all but one class the same as construction management students, so far, and looking at next year it appears almost the same for semester1 too.

I have previous PM experience and looking into transferable skills to make the move. Speaking to friends from CM lot they've made similar sort career moves without trade or construction experience.

If a CSCS costs little and I can use my brain for a couple of days, while having something above other applicants in any application then why not?!

Soldato
I believe i have a blue card. Its not exactly hard to get, you pass all the cources and the stupid ecs test and away you go

will have to check the colour of mine dont look at it unless the h+s turn up.

Edit- just checked its blue. Mines an ECS CSCS card

Soldato
yes there are official books, like theory books for your driving test. Exam is a doddle so long as you've done the practice exams. I think there's an online version too so no need to pay for paper.

Caporegime
We've had all but one class the same as construction management students, so far, and looking at next year it appears almost the same for semester1 too.

I have previous PM experience and looking into transferable skills to make the move. Speaking to friends from CM lot they've made similar sort career moves without trade or construction experience.

If a CSCS costs little and I can use my brain for a couple of days, while having something above other applicants in any application then why not?!

I can safely say I've never hired someone over someone else because they have a cscs card. They're easy and quick enough to obtain so if it were a requirement I'd just ask the applicant to pick the relevant one up once they've got the position as part of their terms of employment.

The daftest blokes I know all hold one (site operative).

Soldato
Agreed, this is not a job decider for a professional consultant who is not permanently site based. And having had one for years mine has lapsed it turns out. You know how often it's been checked? Never. Not once. I think if you're visiting site as opposed to working on it they are less strict about it. Time to organise a exam of my own it appears!

Caporegime
Agreed, this is not a job decider for a professional consultant who is not permanently site based. And having had one for years mine has lapsed it turns out. You know how often it's been checked? Never. Not once. I think if you're visiting site as opposed to working on it they are less strict about it. Time to organise a exam of my own it appears!

It's funny but I've never been asked either!

Soldato
you know they're going to have to find some new questions after covid. The old classic about mask grades is now universally known and they'll need to add a social distancing and covid-safe section

Soldato
This isn't going to exercise your brain or set you apart from anyone.

It's a card to demonstrate a (very) basic level of H&S awareness so people will let you on a construction site. There are obviously various levels to it and professionals and managers take an extended test but still, you'd need to be pretty special to not pass.

A few days running through the questions and you'll be set. If you work in the industry it wouldn't even need that for most people.

Soldato

I had a black managers one when I was working based in a design office as a senior design engineer.

Soldato
I done it years ago - We got a disc with revision material on.

But it’s a piece of cake - As I remember it, every question has 4 answers, and there’s usually 3 stupid answers in there to make sure you’re picking the right answer.

Associate
As said, it's a doddle. Literally common sense.

However, there are one or two questions that may trip you up. There was one about a rat disease and another i don't remember that were kinda meh.

But the online training course is 100x harder and worth a go through, merely for the money saving. But you'll be fine (y)

Back
Top Bottom