Road Cycling

Soldato
How do you report a segment on Strava? The strava guide makes no sense as there is no wrench icon?

Edit: I flagged the whole route. Nearly 60mph on a 1% gradient when you have a 8mph average?

Last edited:
Soldato
How do you report a segment on Strava? The strava guide makes no sense as there is no wrench icon?

Edit: I flagged the whole route. Nearly 60mph on a 1% gradient when you have a 8mph average?

You have to flag the whole ride as you have done. They can re-sync and you have to flag again. I believe once done twice they need to dispute with Strava should they wish to challenge. In my experience the more you have the more you become less bothered by them bar the obvious car/motorbike etc as ultimately at any kind of amateur level it's about who had the highest tailwind, was lucky enough to receive drafting from a vehicle, fastest bike, taking most risk if they end near a junction etc. As the name suggests, they are more suited to climbing as the benefits of the above all lessen, sometimes dramatically.

Soldato
£50'ish bib shorts? My bargain Etxeondo bibs have seen better days, and I'm looking for a similar bargain, sure they were reduced from around £150 to £50! :)

They'll be used for 5 to 50 mile mountain bike rides with my son, but I don't think I'm allowed to mention bibs in the MTB thread...

Soldato
£50'ish bib shorts? My bargain Etxeondo bibs have seen better days, and I'm looking for a similar bargain, sure they were reduced from around £150 to £50! :)

They'll be used for 5 to 50 mile mountain bike rides with my son, but I don't think I'm allowed to mention bibs in the MTB thread...

Have a look at decathlon and also wiggle for their dhb bibs

Soldato
Some details of the Government Fix your Bike voucher scheme:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...t&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=govvoucher
https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/

Unlikely to be useful for most people here, but if you've got an old n+1 bike in the shed that overdue a few basic parts you might be eligible

Interesting to read the T&Cs. https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.es... Web Registered Participating Bussinesses.pdf

I searched for participating retailers near me and there's already a sole trader created his own business for this / recent coronavirus spike in cycling. He's got a real basic site without even SSL and won't do disc brake pad changes and has a fascination over lube services. It seems you can basically sign up to use this scheme by just being a registered business/trader and having insurance. Does insurance typically require actual qualifications to repair bikes or are we going to see some dangerous bikes let out on the road?

Not to say that Halfords repairs always come out tip top but at least there are some standards there..

Soldato
Interesting to read the T&Cs. https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/Downloads/Fix Your Bike Voucher Repair Scheme - Terms and Conditions for Web Registered Participating Bussinesses.pdf

I searched for participating retailers near me and there's already a sole trader created his own business for this / recent coronavirus spike in cycling. He's got a real basic site without even SSL and won't do disc brake pad changes and has a fascination over lube services. It seems you can basically sign up to use this scheme by just being a registered business/trader and having insurance. Does insurance typically require actual qualifications to repair bikes or are we going to see some dangerous bikes let out on the road?

Not to say that Halfords repairs always come out tip top but at least there are some standards there..

Much like IT, there are many skilled people who dont have certificates, and many useless ones who do....

Soldato
Quite a few mobile guys making money during lockdown here. Not sure of how good they are but people were desperate.

Back to work tomorrow with half the shop stock already allocated, small shop though.

That scheme only mentions England so not sure if we have the same thing up here.

Soldato
I'm after a cheapish beginners road bike for around £500 (and less if possible) - I want to be doing long cycles with the ability to pick up some decent speed, but I'm not (currently) super into cycling and don't want to go over the top and spend big as yet. I've just spotted Halford's new 2020 Carrera Vanquish for £400. While I wouldn't usually buy a Halford's own brand bike, it's got a Shimano Claris groupset, disc brakes, and carbon forks, which strikes me as really good value for money.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I was looking at Decathlon's Triban 500 with the Sora groupset, but it's an extra £150 and I'm wondering how much of a difference that will actually make to me day to day.

Soldato
Garmin must have built a lot of Edge 800s on a Friday afternoon! I obviously got lucky as my Edge 800 is 8 years old in December and still going strong. That's the kiss of death for it now though!
My 810 was one of those friday afternoon devices. Barely lasted 18 months, with around 12 months of that crashing randomly and freezing.

I'm not saying the ELEMNT is perfect, as there are parts I miss from the Garmin (bike profiles being the main one), but for something 75% the price, with 80% the hardware, it's now lasted 100% longer and I'm 100%+100% happy with it and would buy again/recommend (I don't buy into these 150/200% metrics as they're not how percentages work lol).

covered in mud and saturated through on the weekend! Great....
CX'er complains about mud. That's a new one! :D

When it eventually dies I think a Wahoo Element would be on my list, I’d like some basic maps as it’s easier to get lost around here on the lanes when little/no signs off the main roads.
BOLT seems to be the perfect one at the moment. ROAM is nice but has gone slightly the way of Garmin with unnecessary hardware (colour screen) rather than really bumping up things like GPS and battery life. For the 'explorer' types it's aimed at I would say they where higher priority...

Had that in the shop with the selling point of the wheels matching the paint on the frame in one position. Quite heavy for what it is and the integrated light seemed to miss the point of the bike.
So many Meridas around here and only 1 LBS sells them. Probably one of the longest standing '1 man band' type stores. Lots of various problems with them when you speak to regular riders so I've never wanted one, but have been jealous of various pals riding 7/8kg bikes with DA 9000 they picked up for £2.5k second hand...

Much like IT, there are many skilled people who dont have certificates, and many useless ones who do....
Spot on, although the cycling industry seems particularly rife with them. Many get a bike from Halfords, see what they do to service them, find they can do a better job and then start out on their own. Show them a square taper bb, a hydraulic disk brake or mention a torque wrench and they're clueless.

Although I've now worked in IT support for 23 years without a single computer qualification from 'school'... Mostly because there where none available when I did my GCSE's and I didn't get much chance of touching a keyboard until I was 15/16... Just think where I could be now given the opportunity! :rolleyes: :D :(

Back to work tomorrow with half the shop stock already allocated, small shop though.
That's good for the bottom line though! My LBS generally did the same, they have/had waiting lists many weeks long for service due to only being able to operate half their workshop. Closed their store(s), but continued to do click & collect through lockdown with skeleton staff. Some of the guys where working 12h days to get new bikes ready and they'd sold out all their stocks on bikes below £3k within the first month or two.

Does "that lot" refer to the entire English/Welsh nation? C'mon man - that's not nice. :)
Only the English. The Welsh are still not meant to be travelling... Still. The couple of times we've gone to the beach (in England) most of the accents we've heard have been Welsh. :rolleyes:

@Jonny ///M do you guys sell Giant? Am I being a little too hopeful that the 2020 ones will have a decent price drop this autumn? Am I being unrealistic that they'll drop £1k or more once stock levels are back up?

2020 TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc £4600 - Di2 with Giant PowerPro. Some prices are getting towards £3k online but most seem to be sold out.
If 2020 deals are not a thing, then probably biting the bullet and buying the 2021 TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc £4500 once there's any dip in prices early next year...

Although the TCR Advanced Pro Disc frameset is £1349 without any sales, totally affordable to build up myself. Same price for the 2020 or 2021 but the 2021 comes in this awesome Gloss Chameleon Green. I'd then be hunting down some carbon aero hoops for it around £1k-1.5 to build the whole thing up for around £4k... So much of it depends what price drops there are on the 2021 Pro 0 to really see how feasible it is...

Back
Top Bottom