• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I was too young to remember the GPU landscape after the 360 and PS3 launched so many someone else can comment, but with the PS4 and Xbone Nvidia didn't really have much to fear considering how weak the hardware was for the base consoles, notebook CPU and 2012 budget gpu. PS5 and Xbox are very competitive now, and hopefully will be under £500.

I switched to console when the 360 came out. It was my only console break from 93 to now. The hardware seemed pretty decent at the time and I wanted something portable. Never gone near one since although I liked the 360 on the whole.

Associate
Makes me laugh all this, 'no ones going to buy them if they're priced at £600/£800/£1k+, not when you can get a console for £500'

Im sorry, but thats utter ******** :p
All depends on the pricing.. if the consoles are 500-600£ with 2080 GPU power I'd expect a lot more GPU grunt from a GPU in that price range. 3070 with 2080ti power for £400 will be a buy from me, anything less I'll keep my Vega 56 and buy a ps5.

I'd even bite on a 3080 at £600ish with +30% over the 2080ti, RT should also be useable on these.

Associate
+9000

Pretty much why I have been unimpressed since Pascal. Sure the 1070 was close to 980ti, but at a price much higher than 970. And it got worse with Turing. At this rate, the 3070 will be trading blows with a 2080 super at only $100 less than a 2080. Basically no real improvement.

Technology only moves forward only ig you can measurably see it getting better. When we measure correctly with price, we haven't come very far in 5 years.

I'd like to buy a 3070 for Cyberpunk after my 2nd hand 980ti died, but if it's over £450 and/or weaker than 2080ti... fat chance. I'll go back to buying 2nd hand again. Even if it dies again in 4 years.
Agreed, 2080ti should have offered its 30-40% improvement over 1080ti at £700/$700 there was simply no justification for the huge jump in price. The 3080ti should then offer 30-40% improvement over the 2080ti again at £700/$700. That's how its worked for 20 years until Nvidia got greedy and a conspiracy of dunces colluded with them and handed over the ludicrous asking price. And now Nvidia will keep trying it on until people finally (if ever they ever do) refuse to keep paying for leather jackets and record profits.

Soldato
Agreed, 2080ti should have offered its 30-40% improvement over 1080ti at £700/$700 there was simply no justification for the huge jump in price. The 3080ti should then offer 30-40% improvement over the 2080ti again at £700/$700. That's how its worked for 20 years until Nvidia got greedy and a conspiracy of dunces colluded with them and handed over the ludicrous asking price. And now Nvidia will keep trying it on until people finally (if ever they ever do) refuse to keep paying for leather jackets and record profits.

The world has more dunces than you have patience.

Associate
All depends on the pricing.. if the consoles are 500-600£ with 2080 GPU power I'd expect a lot more GPU grunt from a GPU in that price range. 3070 with 2080ti power for £400 will be a buy from me, anything less I'll keep my Vega 56 and buy a ps5.

I'd even bite on a 3080 at £600ish with +30% over the 2080ti, RT should also be useable on these.

This is what i expect to happen in the future. Consoles will be priced the same as latest smartphone contracts. £600-£800 i bet, with different variants for example ps4 ps4 pro xb1s etc

Man of Honour
Makes me laugh all this, 'no ones going to buy them if they're priced at £600/£800/£1k+, not when you can get a console for £500'

Im sorry, but thats utter ******** :p

There is no way I would want to use a console for the type of games I play.

Even a PC with a £50 GPU in it is a hundred times better for the type of gaming I do.

Horses for courses.

Soldato

Even a PC with a £50 GPU in it is a hundred times better for the type of gaming I do.

Horses for courses.

I imagine if the next gen consoles let people use M+K that would change

Soldato

Even if it did the vast majority of people are still going to use it with controller. As that’s what they are mainly designed for. Hence why generally the FOV is different to account for further viewing. Plus you still won’t have the kind of setting and resolution adjustment you have on pc to truly adjust to your liking fps/graphics wise.

And I can’t see many people dumping their pcs for a console just because it supports keyboard. At the end of the day both of these consoles will be roughly 3060 level. So it’s probable that people next gen will be able to upgrade to a faster system for less than the price of a console anyway.

Soldato
Even if it did the vast majority of people are still going to use it with controller. As that’s what they are mainly designed for. Hence why generally the FOV is different to account for further viewing. Plus you still won’t have the kind of setting and resolution adjustment you have on pc to truly adjust to your liking fps/graphics wise.

And I can’t see many people dumping their pcs for a console just because it supports keyboard. At the end of the day both of these consoles will be roughly 3060 level. So it’s probable that people next gen will be able to upgrade to a faster system for less than the price of a console anyway.
You think a 3070 etc (faster system than 3060 level) will be less than a PS5?

Soldato

Horses for courses.

music to my ears.

Not for me. Its still a dumb console you cant do anything on but game. I have space for one machine and its a PC. Even building one/modding one for our new conservatory so can play games and other stuff on a 4k 43" TV.

Soldato
You think a 3070 etc (faster system than 3060 level) will be less than a PS5?

A ps5 currently has the same amount of cores as a 2070 and less than a 5700XT.

So yes even with some rdna2 improvement, it’s likely a ps5 will be 2070/5700XT levels of performance which by next gen will probably be even less than a 3060. 3070 likely being 2080Ti levels.

Same story with the XSX even though that has nearly 50% more shaders than the ps5.

Soldato
A ps5 currently has the same amount of cores as a 2070 and less than a 5700XT.

So yes even with some rdna2 improvement, it’s likely a ps5 will be 2070/5700XT levels of performance which by next gen will probably be even less than a 3060. 3070 likely being 2080Ti levels.

Same story with the XSX even though that has nearly 50% more shaders than the ps5.
I'm just saying I think it will take at least a 3070 to definitively say you have a faster system than the consoles, especially the series X. I'm not sure that's going to be cheaper. I'll defer until the benchmarks come out though as this is based on performance rumours.

Back
Top Bottom