• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Don't have that issue with my vega 64.
umm....thanks, i think, maybe? :confused::p
I find it sticks if you don't go too far, I run 1150mv, - 5% power, and 58% fans that sticks, but if I set the volts lower by the next reboot it resets even if it never crashes
it's weird, been no issues until a week or so ago. i can load my preferred profile and it'll bench perfectly fine, will game perfectly fine then it'll just randomly change values......pumps the clock way up and drops voltage down and bang driver crash. heat isn't an issue as it's under water so am totally baffled by this. will have to dig a bit deeper and see what's going on.

Caporegime
It does not like MSI Afterburner, if it wants to do something different to MSI AB it will have an argument with it and crash.
The software seems very protective of the hardware, it seems to react even it appears to be fine, it's a pain because I can fine tune it much more than I have but the software says no.

Soldato
Yesterday I tried Gears 5 and it said there were known compatibility issues with my GPU driver (19.7.1), so I bit the bullet and upgraded to the latest (20.5.1). Performance is still abysmal, constant fps dips and stuttering. Even when the FPS is 70-80 it doesn't feel smooth and it's often dropping to 40 or less. GPU usage is never 100%, and none of my CPU cores are hitting 100% either so I have no idea what's causing the bottleneck. The only information I can find on the net to fix this is (a) detach Bluetooth devices (I don't have any and Bluetooth is disabled in BIOS), and (b) DDU + reinstall GPU driver (which doesn't fix the problem). I also updated to the latest chipset drivers for good measure, still crap.

No other games I've tried seem to be problematic, so maybe it's just a Gears 5 problem and I'll have to find another game to play. >_>

Look at this ridiculous CPU bottleneck in the benchmark, can't find any other comparable graphs online with this hardware:

KeguL0n.png

During actual gameplay it's even worse, see how low the GPU usage is:

ShYSyht.png

Last edited:
Associate
Its probably the weather and also how ur case is with air flow for when its warm days.

Unlikely, its been quite cool the past few days.

It's not done it once since rolling back just over an hour ago, and it did it 2 or 3 times this morning before rolling back.

Reported GPU temp in the AMD software is now ~42-44C, this morning it was creeping up to 50C or so, where I assume the trigger point is on the default curve.

Associate
Ah ok, yeah does sound odd. Probs why there still classed as optional (beta) so theres bugs to be expected and that might be one of em.

Yeah, issues are to be expected. 20.4.2 seems good so far, as long as performance in games is still good I'll wait for the first non beta 20.5.x I think.

Soldato
It does not like MSI Afterburner, if it wants to do something different to MSI AB it will have an argument with it and crash.
The software seems very protective of the hardware, it seems to react even it appears to be fine, it's a pain because I can fine tune it much more than I have but the software says no.
Ohh ok you might be on to something there, I usually have AB running to display fps, temps and the likes (for no reason other than I’m weird like that) Might uninstall it and see if that makes a difference.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Ohh ok you might be on to something there, I usually have AB running to display fps, temps and the likes (for no reason other than I’m weird like that) Might uninstall it and see if that makes a difference.

Once I uninstalled it the random quirks went so I dont use AB anymore. I only use OverdriveNTool if I dont tweak in Wattman.

Associate
afterburner and discord usually cause issues with gaming thats why i never use em and its been better.

It's overlays that often cause issues even if that overlay isn't currently active, just being enabled can cause problems. Usually disabling all overlays and "toast" type notifications fixes the issue.

Soldato
I noticed people that had more than one display were the proportion of users that had problems.
Another interesting discovery that I’d not considered. I recently added a second monitor to my setup. Previously I was using a 1080p 144hz monitor and an ancient 720p tv but bought a 1440 144hz to become my main screen, relegating the 1080 monitor to second screen status and retiring the old tv. That coincides, roughly, with when my issues began. Might just be coincidence but something I’ll have to look at.
Cheers for posting.
You don’t happen to have any links to others having issues with second screens and driver weirdness?

Soldato
I'm using Discord without issues, though with no overlay(hate it anyway so no loss). My Vega has been running without issue on the latest 20.5.1, but I don't use Afterburner and my PC is pretty barebones right now outside of 3 game launchers and an Android Emulator.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Another interesting discovery that I’d not considered. I recently added a second monitor to my setup. Previously I was using a 1080p 144hz monitor and an ancient 720p tv but bought a 1440 144hz to become my main screen, relegating the 1080 monitor to second screen status and retiring the old tv. That coincides, roughly, with when my issues began. Might just be coincidence but something I’ll have to look at.
Cheers for posting.
You don’t happen to have any links to others having issues with second screens and driver weirdness?

Yeah I have a second screen but only experienced mild issues but you would need to note the driver version - I would probably update it every third release and see if its stable, if it is leave it for a while. Most versions only fix bugs with popular games so if there is no obvious benefit to my vega I leave it alone now.

In the vega threads and in this thread you will find people on multi-screens having the issues. I think it relates to is they are on a different port type (i.e. one on HDMI and another on DP) or if one is 1080p and the other say 1440p. On one driver release I definitely used to see the wattman crashing and it was something to do with resuming from a sleep or when you turn on after it was off say overnight.

Associate
Yeah, issues are to be expected. 20.4.2 seems good so far, as long as performance in games is still good I'll wait for the first non beta 20.5.x I think.

Played some Fallen Order last night, ran great and couldn't tell any performance difference between 20.4.2 and 20.5.1 for that particular title. I'm on the Win 10 ver.2004.

Not had a single instance of the fans spinning up while not gaming either.

Associate
Cheers for posting.
interesting wonder about VR too, mine is disabled most the time but i wonder if it has an impact.

Back
Top Bottom