David Braben
John Romero
John Carmack
The Stamper Brothers
Peter Molyneux
Hideo Kojima
Gabe Newell
Sid Meier

I'm not a twitch man, which I am sure is entirely the reason I've never heard of Dr Disrespect until now. He's a whiney manbaby by the looks of it, so I've not missed much. But that list though, I know them all with the exception of the Stamper Brothers.

Soldato
To name just a few.

David Braben
John Romero
John Carmack
The Stamper Brothers
Peter Molyneux
Hideo Kojima
Gabe Newell
Sid Meier

Yup, to me the people who are big names in gaming are the ones who actually make them. I know everyone on the list, some are slightly non-current so I can understand a younger person not knowing a few of them.
I had heard of Dr disrespect but only because he got in trouble for filming in the toilets at e3 last year.

The whole concept of watching other people play games (whilst also behaving like an idiot) is an anethema to me. I would rather play a game myself.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I don't get watching streamers live. I did watch a guy called Mathil live on a second monitor while he played PoE and I did too. But I couldn't focus on what he was doing so I switched it off after 30mins.

I would never watch a live stream as a main form of entertainment. I would rather use the time playing the game, or consuming other media. I was watching a daily youtube scrape of some PoE stream action (by GFL) to see highlights, but that's condensed, short, and you're guaranteed to see something interesting. From what I've seen, these streamers are quite boring entertainers.

But it's a sign of the times. TV is a dead medium for the new generation so it's replaced by these online forms of entertainment.

Soldato
I don't see any evidence to suggest they are. Can you highlight what makes you feel that way?

@mrbell1984 you're perhaps his biggest fan on here. Would you say you idolise him?

OCUK members famously shun celeb culture and look down their nose at people who do follow, GD Is living proof of that. This the same just internet based.
If someone posted a thread about something that happened on some celeb reality show they'd be torn to shreds, this is absolutely no different to that. Idolised is the wrong word but the double standard however is in full view.
This isn't reddit thankfully so I'm not going to go through every members post history to prove my point.
I'm just surprised because I've only ever heard my 10-13 year old nephews talk about streamers. You do you boo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, to me the people who are big names in gaming are the ones who actually make them. I know everyone on the list, some are slightly non-current so I can understand a younger person not knowing a few of them.
I had heard of Dr disrespect but only because he got in trouble for filming in the toilets at e3 last year.

The whole concept of watching other people play games (whilst also behaving like an idiot) is an anethema to me. I would rather play a game myself.

I've commented upon this in another thread (in GD, where this thread belongs).

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how people watch talking heads playing games for hours on end, and REALLY cannot grok why they would throw their hard earned at said talking heads.

Beggars belief.

Soldato
I find it really pointless watcing someone play a game?

I only watch someone play a game if i want to find out how to progress and complete say a puzzle in a game or something so more of a interactive help guide .

Or if its a brand new game and i wanna see what its like in terms of gameplay etc like the recent Cyperpunk gameplay videos

BUt just straigt up watching someone play? lol pointless

Soldato

I only watch someone play a game if i want to find out how to progress and complete say a puzzle in a game or something so more of a interactive help guide .

Or if its a brand new game and i wanna see what its like in terms of gameplay etc like the recent Cyperpunk gameplay videos

I agree and I see this a lot but I feel it's the same as watching any 'proper' sport as a spectator. If you aren't taking part why should you care?

Soldato
I've commented upon this in another thread (in GD, where this thread belongs).

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how people watch talking heads playing games for hours on end, and REALLY cannot grok why they would throw their hard earned at said talking heads.

Beggars belief.
Well i may try it myself.

Let me create a twicth account and stream myself play Star citizen or last of us 2 and let the cash role in from people crazy enough to be entertained by watching me play a damm video game....

Soldato
Well i may try it myself.

Let me create a twicth account and stream myself play Star citizen or last of us 2 and let the cash role in from people crazy enough to be entertained by watching me play a damm video game....

If you have a gimmick like a hilariously oversized cup of tea I'll check you a quid.

Caporegime

Yeah, dipping in and out is fine but you've got people who sit there watching every stream in full, it's almost a cult-like following.

Whenever I've had a look at a stream with thousands of viewers it's just people spamming emotes in the chat, such weird behaviour and way to spend your time.

Soldato
I agree and I see this a lot but I feel it's the same as watching any 'proper' sport as a spectator. If you aren't taking part why should you care?

Thats way different.

First of all is actual human beings competing in real life. not in call of duty shooting eachother using zero's and ones compiled into pixels on a screen, its not real.

second of all, sports, you tend to support a team or person so there is a incentive and belief that you want that person or team to win a competition.

NOt everyone can be a good sports person and compete at a high level. Otherwise most "spectators " would.

Now coming back to virtual gaming spectating, anyone can pick up a control pad and play these same games that this "DR NOBODY" does.

Its a way different comparision bro

Caporegime
To name just a few.

David Braben
John Romero
John Carmack
The Stamper Brothers
Peter Molyneux
Hideo Kojima
Gabe Newell
Sid Meier

I know who Dr D is yet I've only ever heard of 1 name on that list; Gabe.

I don't get how people care about anything other than the game.

Like when I'm watching a movie I know who the main actors are like Denzel, Pacino, etc however I couldn't really give 2 ***** about who directed it or was a producer unless they are really good and I like their work but I wouldn't normally search for a producer or director when searching for movies but I would search for an actor

Back
Top Bottom