What film did you watch last night?

Associate
I watched No Country for Old Men twice. Once when it came out, and then again about a year later. I felt underwhelmed by it both times. I think I do need to watch it again. But it felt so lacking and not well rounded in how it is presented.
I want to read the book. I would place money on that I would enjoy it more than the film.
The book was very cinematic in style - and is one of those rare instances that I was not disappointed in the movie after enjoying the book. There is not a large deviation, and sections feel like they were transplanted from the book (well my imaginings for the book) The Coen's were even quoted as "One of us types into the computer while the other holds the spine of the book open flat."

Only other book to movie adaption that I have ever felt truly captured the mood was "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption".

Soldato
Eurovision: The Story of Fire Saga

2/10 - watched 45 minutes, nothing funny - turned off.
I like Farrell, the rest of the cast is excellent, dobkin has done some decent stuff but this was a total miss for me.

Associate
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot 6/10 it was fun made me laugh in a lot of places but lacked the punch of the first Jay and Silent Bob movie. Not as good as Dogma either I think these characters work as a lead when the story is a bit whackiest and this under whacked.
Reboot was awful and I am (or was) a big Smith fan. The jokes weren't new and it seemed like an egotistical cash-grab, and it didn't help that his daughter can't act. In my opinion Dogma, Chasing Amy and Clerks are classics. Clerks 2, Mallrats, Zack & Miri and Jay & Silent Bob are still decent. But, after Zack and Miri it goes downhill quickly... Can't even remember Red State which shows how much of an impression it made, Tusk was just dire and as is Reboot (imho).

Caporegime
The Last Jedi. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt02527336/

I can't remember if this is meant to be the one that most people seem to dislike, but overall I enjoyed it. Sure, I thought it had some weak moments but I was actually surprised by how much I became engrossed in it.

Great effects and use of colour. I think that just leaves The Rise of Skywalker left for me to see.

Soldato
Reboot was awful and I am (or was) a big Smith fan. The jokes weren't new and it seemed like an egotistical cash-grab, and it didn't help that his daughter can't act. In my opinion Dogma, Chasing Amy and Clerks are classics. Clerks 2, Mallrats, Zack & Miri and Jay & Silent Bob are still decent. But, after Zack and Miri it goes downhill quickly... Can't even remember Red State which shows how much of an impression it made, Tusk was just dire and as is Reboot (imho).

I have a soft spot for Jay and Silent Bob, probably would have marked it more harshly otherwise.

Soldato
A few i've watched since the weekend:

Green Street - 7/10 - football hooligan movie with an american twist in that frodo joins up with Charlie 'can't stick with a single accent' Hunnam to have a few punch ups, hasn't aged too badly. Don't think i've watched it since it came out. I've seen the sequels which are absolute bargain basement DVD quality, this was still really enjoyable.

Jurassic World - 8/10 - pure guilty pleasure, proper brain off silly dinosaur action fun, maybe the 5th or 6th time i've seen it since it came out. Gave a little geek cheer when Chris Pratt is riding through the jungle with the raptors and of course, Blue sprinting down the concourse at the end.

Fantasy Island - 5/10 - inconsistent, poor story, stupid characters but a slow enough story reveal to keep me interested throughout. Barely a horror movie and kept waiting for stories about the leads cousin Ernesto.

Associate
Hard to discuss the Wind River scene without posting spoilers. All i'll say that is in isolation it's not a graphic scene, not particularly bad when compared to others of it's type even. However as part of the overall film narrative and the total suspension ratcheted up in the scene, it's hard going and as @DrToffnar said, you almost immediately know the outcome minutes earlier.

No Country isn't really related to 'The Frontier Trilogy' of Sicario, Hell or High Water and Wind River and also, they aren't really a trilogy. It's a phrase used by Sheridan himself to tell 3 stories about real america, from his perspective, the side that isn't celebrated.

https://collider.com/wind-river-taylor-sheridan-interview/#sicario-hell-or-high-water

Thank you! And arc@css

Caporegime
The Truman Show

I remember enjoying this a lot when I watched it shortly after its release (on VHS no less!) but time has not been kind to it. It feels very much like an artefact from a very particular period of time and has lost a lot of its impact in the intervening years. Now it feels shallow and heavy handed in a way it didn't nearer its release. Still, I think it's one of Carey's best performances; I'm not generally a fan but he's had a few good roles over the years.

6/10

Caporegime
Line of Duty

...what the hell was that?

Very odd film that didnt seem to have a clue what it wanted to be. Mildy entertaining but hugely disjointed with ridiculously stupid and comical scenes (the gay body builder) blindsiding you.

Rather annoyed as the clip/trailer that Netflix showed was probably the most serious bit in the whole film. It starts quite well, but then descends into madness.

It is a shame as if they kept the tone more balanced and more serious and got rid of some of the bizarre scenes and embarrassing one liners, it wouldn't have been that bad.

The actress who played the female reporter that follows him is not very good either.

3/10

Man of Honour
The Eurovision Song Contest Fire Saga on Netflix

7/10 - Cheesy, campy, mindless entertainment. Nothing spectacular, nothing cerebral, a predictable plot, hammy acting all over the place. Yet a decent enough popcorn movie.

Permabanned
The book was very cinematic in style - and is one of those rare instances that I was not disappointed in the movie after enjoying the book. There is not a large deviation, and sections feel like they were transplanted from the book (well my imaginings for the book) The Coen's were even quoted as "One of us types into the computer while the other holds the spine of the book open flat."

Only other book to movie adaption that I have ever felt truly captured the mood was "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption".

Indeed. Also in almost all respects it's one of the few adaptations that I feel was cast perfectly. There's no actor I felt under or over performed there role and it's an exception to the rule in that when I do a re-read of No Country I see the films cast throughout.

Caporegime

An extraordinary film. Its party trick of making the entire film look like it was shot in just two takes gives it a feel quite unlike anything else. Closer, more personal, more claustrophobic, it keeps you much closer to the people in the action. Combined a fantastic score and some wonderful visual choices and you have a brilliantly engrossing film. I also very much enjoyed the very British feel of the film in the accents and vocabulary; it wasn't period accurate but rather chosen to give that impression, which I think was a valid choice. But the overall story is a bit shallow, and the continuous take approach is very limiting in what kind of story and action it can deliver, and so it falls a little short of true greatness.

A must watch 9/10

Associate
Last few nights:

No Retreat, No Surrender: International Version.:o

Poor music, pacing, inappropriate training segments:p

@ 43s - 57s

The version we all grew up watching (on VHS) isn't exactly a classic, but it was far more entertaining.

40 days and 40 Nights (2002)

"After a brutal break-up, a young man vows to stay celibate during the forty days of Lent, but finds the girl of his dreams and is unable to do anything about it."

Road House (1989)

"A tough bouncer is hired to tame a dirty bar."

Back
Top Bottom