Can I cut this wire...

Soldato
Just a phone extension so yes but take a pic of how its wired in the box for reference.

Speaking from experience when working on some old phone extensions and each extension had different colours for the wires :o

Soldato
I would cut it - And I’m an electrician (that has experience a few jolts :p)

Just looks like phone line - unless it’s warm to touch I would cut it.

I would terminate the end into a terminal block though - but that’s just me being a bit overly tidy :p

Soldato
Just don't do what I did a long time ago and try to strip one of the wires with your teeth. Now I check and double check everything for a voltage!

I shouldn't really

But LOL!

That must have been almost as much fun as a guy I knew once must have had when he managed to pee on one of those agricultural electric fences lurking in a hedge!

:p

Permabanned
Years ago a guy my dad knew saw I had an interest in electronics whilst I was watching him doing some rewiring for him in a rented property. I was chatting to him and watching as he pulled old rubber and lead covered cables out of walls and from under floorboards. There were two wires sticking out of the plaster where an old two pin socket had been. A red and a black. "Just pull that black wire through Chris" he said. I pulled it touching the stripped end and got about a foot out before it went tight at his end. "Did you feel anything?" he asked me. "No, why?" I replied. "Well at least the live and neutral were wired right on that spur" he replied, "They weren't on the other one"

"It's not live is it?" I asked nervously. He put his neon tester on the red one and it glowed brightly. "Don't be so trusting around mains wiring kid, you'll make 15 that way". I never did find out if he really knew the black was actually a true neutral, or if he winged it.. But I have always checked before touching unknown wiring after that. I remember him throwing me a component once, a capacitor. I instinctively caught it and got a good belt. "Caps hold their charge for ages, don't forget, will you Chris?" Good teacher, old Ted Hopkins ;)

Soldato
I shouldn't really

But LOL!

That must have been almost as much fun as a guy I knew once must have had when he managed to pee on one of those agricultural electric fences lurking in a hedge!

:p
Serves the **** right for lurking in hedges

Oh, btw...glad the fact it was a phone socket in the OP was confirmed throughout the thread :p

Soldato
I can also vouch it was a phone socket - I used to kill them for a living. :D

We lived in a old house and one morning when I got up I went to put kettle on and noticed there was a pin missing from the two pin 5amp plug - said to Dad what happened and he replied it got hot and when I pulled it out it left the pin in socket so pulled it out.
Me - did you turn off the mains or use a insulated pair of pliers ? It never occurred to him he went white and you could see horror on his face. It must have been the neutral.

Permabanned
I can 100% confirm it is a mini socket extension. Its probably connected to a master socket in home or jelly crimped outside where the wires come to the property. No real voltage in them at all. totally fine to cut and remove. Nowday's with multi corded phones there is not much need for them at all.

Back
Top Bottom