Video codec pack

Associate
Been using mpv player over the weekend, with the exception of no seekbar thumbnails it's been good so far.

I've been using it for a while now with a conf that I like. It's not for everyone as you do need to fiddle around with some options via a text file.
I have a bunch of scripts and shaders that I use with it, it's so customisable and plays everything I throw at it without the need to download extra codecs. mpv paired with youtube-dl is even better.

Soldato
I've been using it for a while now with a conf that I like. It's not for everyone as you do need to fiddle around with some options via a text file.
I have a bunch of scripts and shaders that I use with it, it's so customisable and plays everything I throw at it without the need to download extra codecs. mpv paired with youtube-dl is even better.

I started with mpv.net as that's got menus and a UI to it to make it easier to use.

Soldato
LAV if I need them, my DVB player appreciates them. Most software has them built in though these days.

Potplayer these days find it better than VLC and no need to mess around with installing codec packs unless you want to start going down the route of MadVR.

Um, madVR doesn't require codec packs its simply a renderer and entirely optional. If people are happy with default MPC-BE or VLC then good for them. Some of us like to squeeze a little extra out of our machines however. (Ever heard of overclocking? Powerplans? Entirely optional but some like to do it I hear)

Soldato
most people are/were using madvr for upscaling ? but, many tv's have dedicated hardware using good algorithms , so I'm not sure where it might fit in, now.

mpv paired with youtube-dl is even better.

I've found, (other reports on internet too), default vlc wont play m4a's audios from youtube, so, I still need to explore a codec pack, maybe it's the splitter

the first one from youtube doesn't play

ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 1 h 2 min
Bit rate : 128 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 57.2 MiB (99%)
Title : ISO Media file produced by Google Inc.
Language : English

ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 51 min 6 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 46.8 MiB (99%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

edit don't use windows ones https://thehackernews.com/2020/07/windows-security-update.html
The two newly disclosed security vulnerabilities, assigned CVE-2020-1425 and CVE-2020-1457, are both remote code execution bugs that could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code and control the compromised Windows computer.

According to Microsoft, both remote code execution vulnerabilities reside in the way Microsoft Windows codec library handles objects in memory.

However, exploiting both flaws requires an attacker to trick a user running an affected Windows system into clicking on a specially crafted image file designed to be opened with any app that uses the built-in Windows Codec Library.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom