iPad Air 2 Battery Replacement

Soldato
OP
How much is in iPad Air 2 worth, the labour and replacement cost as well as packing and shipping would cost more than it’s worth, might as well upgrade.

It's not for me, it's for my girlfriend's youngest daughter, she's 6 years old. It was my old one (just upgraded to an 11" Pro 2020). I just want to see if it's cost effective.
The iPad is only lasting for a few hours with continual use/play before needing to be recharged. I had it 6 years from new, so I think the battery must be done.

How much do apple want, I had my phone battery swapped at apple and it was only £50

it’s a flat £99 for all iPads.

Is that £99 even if it's out of warranty?

Soldato
It's not for me, it's for my girlfriend's youngest daughter, she's 6 years old. It was my old one (just upgraded to an 11" Pro 2020). I just want to see if it's cost effective.
The iPad is only lasting for a few hours with continual use/play before needing to be recharged. I had it 6 years from new, so I think the battery must be done.

Is that £99 even if it's out of warranty?

In warranty price would be free, so yes.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ipad/repair/service

Soldato
OP

I'm an idiot! I looked at that page yesterday and didn't see the battery service section :p
Just got put off immediately by the iPad Service Pricing!

Can anyone recommend a reliable app to see the current battery health and cycles before spending the money?

I'm right in thinking that the iPad Air 2 should last longer than a few hours after a full charge??

Soldato
I'm an idiot! I looked at that page yesterday and didn't see the battery service section :p
Just got put off immediately by the iPad Service Pricing!

Can anyone recommend a reliable app to see the current battery health and cycles before spending the money?

I'm right in thinking that the iPad Air 2 should last longer than a few hours after a full charge??

iMazing would do the job.

Associate
I have an iPad Air 2 and have no issues with battery life. It can easily last several days between charges. I don’t use it that heavily though. I’ve had mine since early 2015. I was happy to read that it will be getting iOS 14 this autumn, which is amazing for a device that was launched in Oct 2014!

The Air 2’s A8X processor is getting quite old now though, so it’s possible that current games tax the processor quite heavily and may be draining the battery prematurely. No doubt some battery capacity will have been lost since new too.

Has your Air 2 had particularly heavy use/many re-charge cycles over the years you’ve had it?

Soldato
OP
iMazing would do the job.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had come across this as an option when I was having a search.

Yes but at 6 years old the battery will be done so a few hours doesn’t sound crazy.

I have an iPad Air 2 and have no issues with battery life. It can easily last several days between charges. I don’t use it that heavily though. I’ve had mine since early 2015. I was happy to read that it will be getting iOS 14 this autumn, which is amazing for a device that was launched in Oct 2014!

The Air 2’s A8X processor is getting quite old now though, so it’s possible that current games tax the processor quite heavily and may be draining the battery prematurely. No doubt some battery capacity will have been lost since new too.

Has your Air 2 had particularly heavy use/many re-charge cycles over the years you’ve had it?

I'm going to get it back over the next few days and I'll connect it up and checkout the battery status with iMazing and take it from there.

I wad seriously surprised to see the iPad Air 2 was getting iOS 14. I decided to move to a iPad Pro 2020 as I thought it would've been dropped this year, if I had waited to see I may've held off for the next iPad Pro refresh, saying that though the current iPad Pro is an absolute phenomenal bit of kit. The performance difference between the two is startling when using them side by side. If that is the performance Apple can get using an iPad....Macs with Apple Silicon are going to be spectacular!

Soldato
Just get apple support to run a diagnostic .. i suspect battery is failed if it’s literally lasting less then a few hours as my launch iPad Air 2 still does 6-8 hours

Associate
let apple do it. all eBay/Repalcebase aftermarket batteries are crap even the one that looks genuine. i did an iPad air2 battery replacement before and I find it drains quicker than the old original battery. so i put back the old battery and return the crappy battery.

Soldato
Apples replaces the entire iPad for £100 if you ask them for battery service. You'll get a refurbished one. They'll send you a box and it has prepaid shipping, you'll get your new iPad a couple of days later.

Soldato
OP
Finally managed to get the iPad back and checked it quickly with iMazing....think it's safe to say the battery is a bit knackered.

WKgmqha.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm actually wondering if it's financially worth replacing the battery in this Air 2 considering it's age, realistically it's got 1yr left of iOS support as it's at the bottom of the list of compatible iPad OS 14 devices.

I have a friend who works at Apple and gives me discount on any new purchases.

iPad 10.2" 32GB WiFi = £349.00 with his discount (17%) it brings it down to £289.67
iPad Air 2 Apple Trade-in = £110.00
Total: £179.67

Giving a brand new iPad with new battery, slightly faster SoC and longer software support.

I think it could be the better option to just spend the extra, thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom