BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
That's defeated by the x30d vs x35d vs m50d though. Why make the x35 or m50d if they're focussed on mpg and lower emissions?

Exactly - the M50d develops similar power to a mapped 35d but it does this not with an ecu flash but with a triple turbo setup - hardly cheap to go to that level of complexity if all they needed was a bloke with a laptop...

Associate
Quick question - Do BMW operate a fixed price approach on approved used, or as I suspect, am I being given some negotiation patter.

I could believe it to an extent, as given the advent of the internet, knowing a bad deal is a bit clearer nowadays.

Soldato
Quick question - Do BMW operate a fixed price approach on approved used, or as I suspect, am I being given some negotiation patter.

I could believe it to an extent, as given the advent of the internet, knowing a bad deal is a bit clearer nowadays.
It will depend on how keenly priced any particular car is and what you have (if anything) to trade in, whether you're taking finance, or not, etc.

If the car you're looking at is already the cheapest example on the market don't expect to be able to negotiate the price down, but if there's 5 or 10 of them and they are similarly spec'd look at how the price of the specific vehicle in question compares.

You may also be able to get other "discounts", e.g. I know some forum members have successfully negotiated 2 years of approved used warranty, rather than the standard 1 year for example.

Man of Honour

There is one dealer group that does operate on a fixed price only basis but all the others will negotiate if they think that's what it'll take to sell.

Associate
Cheers guys, appreciate the feedback.

I've decided to spend a bit more, try and get a car that will (in theory) last a bit longer. The good lady is requesting a Touring as a result (kids, holidays, potential dog). The lure of a late F10 remains strong (and initial outlay cheaper) but the longer term practicality is a blocker. Now looking at 2018/19 low mileage 330d Tourers - Pro Nav, HK and whatever else is a bonus.

Still taking the time to look at all options though, as in no massive rush

Superb 272 - Would be fun but quality not quite the same
Mercedes C43 - Engine unreal, no premiums in price/age range.
Mercedes c300d - premium package models price up well against similar age 330d. It's no straight six though
Golf R/Cupra ST - would be fun, but not a long term car.
F11 - higher miles and warranty cost put me off
G31 - too expensive or too high mileage

Soldato
Now looking at 2018/19 low mileage 330d Tourers
is merc cla tourer more 3 series size ?, it has the looks over the tourer, still pretty exclusive too.
the bm straight six petrols have the sonority vs diesels - and without that in the newer bm's, the cla appeals, albeit versatility/access not as good.

Caporegime
is merc cla tourer more 3 series size ?, it has the looks over the tourer, still pretty exclusive too.
the bm straight six petrols have the sonority vs diesels - and without that in the newer bm's, the cla appeals, albeit versatility/access not as good.

CLA is a funny one. based on the a-class but bigger than an f31

Associate
The conversation I replied to was comparing it specifically with the F31.

The F31 had several 6 cylinder petrol and diesel engines in the range.

And in fairness the lack of that puts me off the CLA.

The CLA45 would be an option, but to my mind, does not suit the feel I am looking for - it falls more into the Golf R/Cupra ST bracket of hooligan estate.

Soldato
The point was that the originally attractive BMW characteristic a reliable/musical NA petrol 6-inline, are eroded;
I don't need a 300hp turbocharged/6 335 340, and to that degree, I might as well be sitting in a more attractive CLA.
That said some of the 3 cyclinders sound nice on utubes.

Associate
Deposit down on a 330d Touring Shadow - managed to knock them down a tiny bit in the end.

Black, Pro Nav, HK, Heated Seats, Folding mirrors, Rear parking camera, Park assist and (mixed feelings) XDrive. Nice enough spec, got all the key bits I want, got the engine and the boss is happy as she can park it.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Riddle me this, OcUK Motors sub-forum:
My i3 lost an argument with a wall yesterday. Rear hatch and bumper smashed, etc. Driveline error, brake error, etc. etc. Car stuck in Neutral couldn't do anything with it.
Called BMW Roadside Assistance who organised a tow. Over the phone, I explicitly told them to come with wheel dollies so as not to damage anything. "Yeah yeah, we know what we're doing" was the response from BMW Roadside Assistance.

They came with a flatbed and a 4x4, as the car had to be winched up from an underground car park, and then onto the flatbed. Lo and behold, no dollies. They managed to deplete the battery completely during the tow, and jump-started the 12v using their truck. They then got it running to remove the handbrake (yes, the put the electronic handbrake up during this procedure and then the car totally died). Went round to the garage today and they've been trying to charge it all morning but it's not cooperating. If it's fully depleted then it'll be a write-off.

Who's at fault here? BMW Roadside Assistance surely have recordings of me telling them to bring dollies (in 2 separate calls). The battery depleted whilst the clowns towed it, and they jump-started it. I hope it's not a write-off as it was a great spec and I won't find one again for the same price :mad:

Associate
Quick query. I have a 320i Shadow Edition. Whilst driving last week, i received a dashboard notification to inform that my coolant was at the minimum level, and to top up asap to avoid engine damage. I had no coolant, so used a bottle of water i had in the boot to get me home. I've since got coolant, but i can't tell what level my coolant is currently at in the engine bay, as i see the below when opening up the reservoir, which to me, doesn't explain anything at all. When you open it up and look into it, you see both max and min, and there doesn't appear to be anyway in which to read the level it's currently at. How am i meant to tell whether the coolant is at min or max level, or am i meant to rely on the dashboard notification to know when it's at min?

Back
Top Bottom