What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Thing (1982)

This was brilliant, I can't believe that i haven't watched it before now. The effects were still decent even now and it was infinitely better than the remake that i watched at some point in the last couple of years. 8/10

Soldato
The Thing (1982)

This was brilliant, I can't believe that i haven't watched it before now. The effects were still decent even now and it was infinitely better than the remake that i watched at some point in the last couple of years. 8/10
Total classic! I believe that more recent one was a prequel, rather than a remake (but I'm not certain: I've not seen it). Believe it or not, they used practical effects for that newer one, but the studio insisted they re-did it all with CGI. Of course, as we all know, it turns out that practical effects are sooooo much better than CGI, so they should have left it in.

Man of Honour
The Thing (1982)

Closest film to a 10 out of 10 for me, that I've ever seen

Soldato
The Wolf's Call 4/5

Decent submarine film, its no Hunt for Red October - but its got all the bits you need for a good submarine movie, such as the young eccentric but gifted sonar operator, and the admiral who wrote the book returning to the action one last time against against a former student.

Decent sets, probably made with some hefty collaboration with the French navy, CGI definitely has the made for TV vibes about it. Plenty of tension and suspence and quite well shot.

French with English subs on NowTV in the UK.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wolfs_call (92%??!!!)

Man of Honour
The Phantom Menace.

This will be an incoherent sprawl of thought... You know what... I enjoyed it! I didn’t find the trade stuff boring. It was actually sort of fresh to see that, a low key plot, in this universe after the ‘good vs evil’ bombast of the more recent films.

Jar Jar was really rather annoying. Some of the Anakin dialogue is also a little grating and the space ship battle at the end is pretty dumb.

Yeah... clearly I’m in ultra-woke mode but racial stereotyping of the aliens much.... :o :o hadn’t noticed that before but the trade federation.... jeez :o

All of the dumb aside, I did really like the way it just flew through the opening section - really fast paced and lots of imagination thrown at you super quick. Just... fun.

Next stop, Attack of the Clones *gulp*

Soldato
Outland - 6/10

Started off good with a fun premise of meth addicts on a mining space station turning suicidal but was ruined at the end by hitmen who were less lethal than the stormtroopers in star wars and way more stupid (who though it a good/convincing idea to have shotguns as the only kind of weapon on a space station ?)

Soldato
Outland - 6/10

Started off good with a fun premise of meth addicts on a mining space station turning suicidal but was ruined at the end by hitmen who were less lethal than the stormtroopers in star wars and way more stupid (who though it a good/convincing idea to have shotguns as the only kind of weapon on a space station ?)

It's a relatively low velocity weapon that isn't going to punch through the hull and cause depressurisation like a solid slug or armour piercing round would. Nowadays you might go with a frangible round or a taser.

Soldato
Snowden - 7/10 - Interesting movie style take on what happened during the Snowden releases. Worth a watch.

Citizenfour - 8/10 - Then onto what really happened - Well made documentary considering how concerned they must have been during their visits with Snowden.

7500 - 5/10 - This movie is absolutely brutal and doesn’t hide any of the nastiness that comes with a plane hijacking. JGL was great, but the story is limited in scope and I didn’t enjoy the ending. I was left with a feeling of “that’s it?!” at the end, I would have been interested to see about 10 or 15 minutes more of what happened next. I wouldn’t watch it again tbh.

Soldato
Irresistible - 7/10

Very funny actually. I do like Steve Carrell although there could have been more made of his relationship with Rose Byrne's character. It hit home nicely at the end, I'll say no more. Worth a watch.

Caporegime
Deathtrap. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083806/

I saw part of this many years ago and have only just come across it again. Great performances by all including Dyan Cannon (her screaming did do my head in a bit though!), Michael Caine, and Christopher Reeve (God rest his soul).

Michael Caine never ceases to amaze me by just how loud he can shout!

Soldato
"47 Ronin" on Prime. It's forgotten how much I liked this film. First time watching for my wife and she loved it. Not at all historically accurate but a fun, exciting romp.
I doubt it'd get made today though. Too "white saviour" for modern Hollywood.

Back
Top Bottom