Should people do more the ensure their clothes don't support slavery?

Caporegime
I always have a cheap Chinese phone or secondhand phone even though I work. Having the latest phone is not a necessity like they seem to think.
same my phones like 4 years old or something and it was only £150 at the time

see no point in buying new phones all the time, it's just a fashion accessory to some people it seems

Soldato
As meat has been mentioned I am vegan as I don't support any form of animal slavery either,(but to be transparent I ate meat for many decades before I became civilised ;)) on the clothing thing I buy from charity shops. more because I am frugal and love a bargain and have little interest, wetsuits maybe I find interesting , clothes I get bought I can't really control

Caporegime
Heres a hijack of your thread... @timmothy

Can there be a poll added.. Something like...

If you could push a button and everything would cost 100% more but modern slavery/ Asian sweat shops and the alike... etc etc were gone would you do it.. (reword it for the sake of legibility lol)

I dont think i would. Im actually pretty selfish to anyone outside of my circles/tribe/country. Whatever you call it. (And OCUK forum members)

Caporegime
Heres a hijack of your thread... @timmothy

Can there be a poll added.. Something like...

If you could push a button and everything would cost 100% more but modern slavery/ Asian sweat shops and the alike... etc etc were gone would you do it.. (reword it for the sake of legibility lol)

I dont think i would. Im actually pretty selfish to anyone outside of my circles/tribe/country. Whatever you call it. (And OCUK forum members)

Agreed.
People are generally selfish particularly outside their bubble.

Many people will make small compromises, I no longer eat meat, but I still can't give up dairy.

Problem is there's always more you can do. At some point you have to accept you are causing harm. To someone or something somewhere

Associate
We are a greedy nation, we want it all and we want it cheap. The child labour in some countries is ignored by the West and this helps to keep us greedy.

I buy far to much stuff because it's cheap, more than half of it is rarely worn, if we could sort the problem then I would be good with prices rising as I would just buy half the stuff.

But the truth is most people don't care because it's out of sight so out of mind.

Soldato
It goes a lot deeper. Even things like products tested on animals, it's unnecessary yet lots of companies do it.

But do the majority of people bother to change their habits for it?

Soldato
No one seems to care we are having a world cup whose stadia was built with slaves, our woke footballers haven't woke up to this yet, so who cares about clothes

Soldato
No one seems to care we are having a world cup whose stadia was built with slaves, our woke footballers haven't woke up to this yet, so who cares about clothes

34 "confirmed" dead during construction so far but many more suspected with many of the families not being paid for their spouses deaths too. Well worth the £35 per week wages those poor guys are paid, but of course the fight against "actual" slavery (economic and physical in this case) doesn't have a sexy Hashtag for people to use in their selfies so no-one cares.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...reveals-34-stadium-worker-deaths-in-six-years

Soldato
Unfortunately in this day and age of the internet, the unwashed masses (read Primark customers and the like) want everything as cheap as possible, as fast as possible therefore companies (read fat cat businesses) attempt to supply their warez to the masses as cheap and as fast as possible, foreign labour doesn't have the same rules, regs and employee health and wellbeing as places like the UK. Thats why companies like Nike, Apple etc... (remember fat cat businesses) charge over the odds for their products - because of a shiny logo, whilst paying their foreign workers in some cases, less than 1 penny a day

Man of Honour
Unfortunately in this day and age of the internet, the unwashed masses (read Primark customers and the like) want everything as cheap as possible, as fast as possible therefore companies (read fat cat businesses) attempt to supply their warez to the masses as cheap and as fast as possible, foreign labour doesn't have the same rules, regs and employee health and wellbeing as places like the UK. Thats why companies like Nike, Apple etc... (remember fat cat businesses) charge over the odds for their products - because of a shiny logo, whilst paying their foreign workers in some cases, less than 1 penny a day

How are the items in your sig any different/better?

Caporegime
primark clothing is a waste of money, I had some tshirts from there and they barely lasted a few washes before stretching, yet I've got nike and adidas tshirts that are over 3years old that still look almost new and if anything went slightly smaller over time

primark is more like disposable clothing you can wash a few times they it's probably wrecked if it didn't already get holes in it somehow.

I wouldn't be willing to pay more money for clothes though they are already too expensive, let the big brand names spend some of their profits if they want to eradicate third world working conditions

you know the companies that have been exploiting them for decades and making billions

Caporegime
Unfortunately in this day and age of the internet, the unwashed masses (read Primark customers and the like)
Some people have no alternative than to use primark to get clothes, don't be a snob.
Thats why companies like Nike, Apple etc... (remember fat cat businesses) charge over the odds for their products - because of a shiny logo, whilst paying their foreign workers in some cases, less than 1 penny a day

Your sig is full of such brands so you're no different.

Soldato
Also have people seen the videos where they are speaking to the poor neighborhood resident in the USA but they still manage to have the latest iPhone. It's the same here, people claiming they need school dinners as they can't afford to pay for food but have the latest phone. I always have a cheap Chinese phone or secondhand phone even though I work. Having the latest phone is not a necessity like they seem to think.

You look pretty tall from up on your high horse.

You know, I've spent a bit of time with poor people. Despite what the Tory rags would have you believe, I haven't come across many poor people with "the latest phone" or even Sky telly. Those that do are up to their eyeballs in debt and have just thought **** it and are on their merry way to bankruptcy or crime.

I suggest you do the same. Do some charity work or volunteer at a food bank. You won't keep this type of opinion for very long.

Associate
OP
You look pretty tall from up on your high horse.

You know, I've spent a bit of time with poor people. Despite what the Tory rags would have you believe, I haven't come across many poor people with "the latest phone" or even Sky telly. Those that do are up to their eyeballs in debt and have just thought **** it and are on their merry way to bankruptcy or crime.

I suggest you do the same. Do some charity work or volunteer at a food bank. You won't keep this type of opinion for very long.

Funny that you say that. I actually spent 7 years working for a charity supporting people back into work.

I'm just saying that a lot of people have their priorities wrong. It's something I saw everyday in my job as an advisor. Newest phone but no heating, takeaways almost everyday but cant afford to buy breakfast cereal.

Soldato
Funny that you say that. I actually spent 7 years working for a charity supporting people back into work.

I'm just saying that a lot of people have their priorities wrong. It's something I saw everyday in my job as an advisor. Newest phone but no heating, takeaways almost everyday but cant afford to buy breakfast cereal.

Well that's not my experience. Mine is of people's houses with no carpets, some with no TV or basic furniture. Some don't even have phones. Single mothers with teenagers at school who don't have desks at home for their kids to do their homework on. Kids sharing beds.

"newest phone" either means they've been sold a phone on a contract that they shouldn't have been given or it's stolen. Or worse.

Back
Top Bottom