• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth cashing in my 2080ti for a RTX 3080? Use a RTX 2060 in the short term?

Associate
I think you might be a bit optimistic at £499 for 2080ti type of power, my guess for £499 you will see a RTX 2080 SUPER SUPER with 8GB not 11GB....basically something that is somewhere between the current RTX 2080 Super and the RTX 2080Ti...but of course that is pure speculation.

Yeah true maybe a bit optimistic there.

2080 Super is about 6% faster than a regular 2080 I think. So probably 10%-15% faster than a 2080 perhaps at £500. Not bad but not great. But as I said the warranty is a major advantage for me personally.

Side note. With a 4690k, playing games like Overwatch, Destiny 2 and other e sport games on a 144hz monitor. Would a 580/1660 super be enough for that purpose?

Soldato
Like always, NVIDIA will deliver higher performance but also at higher prices. NVIDIA doesn't usually offer a significant Price/Performance improvement at launch of a new generation.

Call me crazy, but if RTX 3070 is as fast as RTX 2080 Ti, then we'll see it at £999. RTX 3080 could be 30% faster than 2080 Ti, but it will also be £1500.

3070 will likely be £600 or less no matter how much faster it is over even 2080Ti.

The only good thing about the Ti is its 11gb memory. So there will still be some value when the new cards arrive. As the 3070 etc are likely to come with their usual amount of 8gb ish.

Interesting, thanks.

Now wondering if it's worth selling, grabbing a £150 GPU and waiting for 3000 series. For £500, that "should" be a 3070, which "should" be close to 2080Ti performance.

Even if it is slightly less than 2080Ti performance for £500 I will at least have the advantage of the full warranty which for me is worth it as the thought of a £500+ card dying and not having warranty pains me!

Why i always tend to get extra warranty especially with the likes of EVGA. Have 10yrs on my 2080Ti which i think cost me less than £50 extra. Extremely unlikely ill be keeping it that long but always adds value when reselling.

Soldato
Thats not quite true we have seen many times Nvidia being first to the market, setting the price and then AMD release their products and Nvidia reduce prices to try and stem AMD. Talking 5-10 years ago or there abouts.

Also the GTX 460 1gb was an absolutely stonking overclocker when it was released and brilliant value so its not always been like this.
I remember that generation, and whilst HD6850 1GB did came out a little bit later than the 460 1GB averaging at around £170-£200 (sub £150 GTX460 was the 768MB version), the market at the time already had the popular HD5850 1GB (a beast of a card for its generation as well as value) at £190-£220 that's on average around 10% faster than both the GTX460 1GB and HD6850, so Nvidia didn't exactly have the freedom to price the GTX460 1GB higher than the HD5850.

Yea the GTX460 1GB was indeed a great card at a great price for the mainstream gamer, it was pretty much Nvidia's HD5850 (closer enough) for people that refer Nvidia. Shame that for the equivalent of GTX460 1GB today such as the 1070 or 2060 people would now have to fork out £300+ for.

Quite franking I miss the bang for bucks for graphic cards like those generations, before the came along of Nvidia's pull wool over eyes with rebranding of 60/60Ti spec cards to 70/80 naming with a price to match.
3070 will likely be £600 or less no matter how much faster it is over even 2080Ti.

The only good thing about the Ti is its 11gb memory. So there will still be some value when the new cards arrive. As the 3070 etc are likely to come with their usual amount of 8gb ish.

Why i always tend to get extra warranty especially with the likes of EVGA. Have 10yrs on my 2080Ti which i think cost me less than £50 extra. Extremely unlikely ill be keeping it that long but always adds value when reselling.
If the 3070 was faster than the 2080ti, Nvidia will not price it lower than it as it would be shooting themselves in the foot. They will control the supply and availability of the 3070 and keep the price high, until they have sold off most of the remaining 2080ti at high price that are still in the channel.

They have done this when they had still too many 1060 GPU left due to over-production trying to milk the mining broom, which was why they launch 2060/2070 cards essentially stacking above existing pricing of the previous gen cards. Had they released cards with performance of the Super lines right off the bet, it will make the 1060 cards even more obsolete and even harder to shift.

Soldato
If the 3070 was faster than the 2080ti, Nvidia will not price it lower than it as it would be shooting themselves in the foot. They will control the supply and availability of the 3070 and keep the price high, until they have sold off most of the remaining 2080ti at high price that are still in the channel.

They have done this when they had still too many 1060 GPU left due to over-production trying to milk the mining broom, which was why they launch 2060/2070 cards essentially stacking above existing pricing of the previous gen cards. Had they released cards with performance of the Super lines right off the bet, it will make the 1060 cards even more obsolete and even harder to shift.

That makes little sense. You can preorder cards right off the bat at msrp upon release. So if a next gen 3060 beats a 2080Ti they are going to price it at £1000? No.

All other generation releases will tell you otherwise.

Soldato
That makes little sense. You can preorder cards right off the bat at msrp upon release. So if a next gen 3060 beats a 2080Ti they are going to price it at £1000? No.

All other generation releases will tell you otherwise.

they won’t call that card 3060. They’ll call it 3080. NVIDIA has done it several times, the SKUs that make the xx80 cards are lower and lower ends as time goes by.

Caporegime
Best to wait for the cards to be released. Wait for AMD to release their competition and then for nvidia to release super versions.

That is when you get a good deal.

No way would I sell my card now when those cards are at least 18 months away.

Chances are though I'll keep my current card for another 5 years. It's got plenty of power and new cards only improve things marginally and yet they cost hundreds of pounds to upgrade to.

I might eventually go the other way. Back to 1080p and 240hz that way I can run a 1660 super type card and not need to worry about it all.

People exaggerate about pixels. I'm at 32" and 1440p. The screen is too big. 27" is what I should have stuck with. I'm sure the step down in size would help with the step down in res.

Soldato
they won’t call that card 3060. They’ll call it 3080. NVIDIA has done it several times, the SKUs that make the xx80 cards are lower and lower ends as time goes by.
Exactly this.

Some people not paying attention is getting wool pulled over eyes by Nvidia.

It is sad state of affair how far Nvidia managed to push this since the GTX"670" and GTX"680" using what's clearly a 60/60ti SKU (with its 256-bit memory bus interface clearly implied that). Now we are getting to the point of and 3rd tier SKUs being sold as "xx70" and "xx60".

Soldato
Exactly this.

Some people not paying attention is getting wool pulled over eyes by Nvidia.

It is sad state of affair how far Nvidia managed to push this since the GTX"670" and GTX"680" using what's clearly a 60/60ti SKU (with its 256-bit memory bus interface clearly implied that). Now we are getting to the point of and 3rd tier SKUs being sold as "xx70" and "xx60".

A lot of people just pretend like this isn't happening and hasn't been happening for the last 5-7 years. I've often seen people say "Nvidia doesn't make low-end GPUs anymore", well, they do! They just no longer call them a GT-230 or something. The mid-range is now xx80 and the low-end is xx50 and xx60.

Hopefully AMD will knock some sense into them this (or next) generation as they've done with Intel and Nvidia won't be able to get away with naming mid-range GPUs as xx80 cards and giving them a £700+ price tag anymore.

Associate
OP
A lot of people just pretend like this isn't happening and hasn't been happening for the last 5-7 years. I've often seen people say "Nvidia doesn't make low-end GPUs anymore", well, they do! They just no longer call them a GT-230 or something. The mid-range is now xx80 and the low-end is xx50 and xx60.

Hopefully AMD will knock some sense into them this (or next) generation as they've done with Intel and Nvidia won't be able to get away with naming mid-range GPUs as xx80 cards and giving them a £700+ price tag anymore.

They still make low end cards, I bought a GT 1030 for a 2nd system a while ago, worked well, 4k output at 60hz , had the ability to play games at 720p, very similar to there Laptop GPU MX250.

Nvidia have a card and price point to suit most peoples needs...AMD can't match them at the top end, they have nothing...currently.

Soldato
Like always, NVIDIA will deliver higher performance but also at higher prices. NVIDIA doesn't usually offer a significant Price/Performance improvement at launch of a new generation.

Call me crazy, but if RTX 3070 is as fast as RTX 2080 Ti, then we'll see it at £999. RTX 3080 could be 30% faster than 2080 Ti, but it will also be £1500.

You’re crazy and I’d prefer it if people kept such ridiculous comments off the forum in case NVidia get idea.

the 3070 should trade blows with the 2080ti for no more than £500.

780ti to 970 and 970 to 1070 showed that things have been reasonable in the past.

Soldato
They still make low end cards, I bought a GT 1030 for a 2nd system a while ago, worked well, 4k output at 60hz , had the ability to play games at 720p, very similar to there Laptop GPU MX250.

Nvidia have a card and price point to suit most peoples needs...AMD can't match them at the top end, they have nothing...currently.
The thing is though as a result of them pushing lower end SKU up and labelling them higher number than the cards is, it has created a situation where Nvidia cards at the sub £180 segment is under-performing, with only the buzzword "efficiency" and "bus-powered" going for them. The RX570 was literally 50% faster than the 1050ti at the same price point, with only the drawbacks of slightly higher power-consumption and one external PCI-E power. A lowly 128-bit bus card don't belong in the £150 and above price point.

Soldato
You’re crazy and I’d prefer it if people kept such ridiculous comments off the forum in case NVidia get idea.

the 3070 should trade blows with the 2080ti for no more than £500.

780ti to 970 and 970 to 1070 showed that things have been reasonable in the past.
Except Nvidia has gone mad on pricing since 2000 series.

As I mentioned already Nvidia can and will charge the moon (as much as we all hate it), they would only bring pricing back down to more sane and bang for bucks level on Earth when AMD has something that can give them a run for their money (e.g. there would have been no 780ti or the Super cards if AMD didn't push Nvidia to react; they would have continue deliberately hold back the performance they could actually deliver to dip-feed the users).

He is not giving Nvidia idea, Nvidia already got it all figured out their own, and we are just commenting on it based on our knowledge and understanding of how Nvidia operates. We don't like the situation anymore than you do, but that is just the harsh reality of how the current graphic card market is like.

Soldato
Except Nvidia has gone mad on pricing since 2000 series.

As I mentioned already Nvidia can and will charge the moon (as much as we all hate it), they would only bring pricing back down to more sane and bang for bucks level on Earth when AMD has something that can give them a run for their money (e.g. there would have been no 780ti or the Super cards if AMD didn't push Nvidia to react; they would have continue deliberately hold back the performance they could actually deliver to dip-feed the users).

He is not giving Nvidia idea, Nvidia already got it all figured out their own, and we are just commenting on it based on our knowledge and understanding of how Nvidia operates. We don't like the situation anymore than you do, but that is just the harsh reality of how the current graphic card market is like.

They priced the 20 series very badly. We don’t have to bend over for the 30 series

Soldato
They priced the 20 series very badly. We don’t have to bend over for the 30 series

7303510f7883bb20ccabd4e97fc97d77.gif

8gb 3070/Ti says otherwise :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom