Electric Scooters could soon be legal...

Soldato
to protect the public from the irresponsible(illiterate?) contingent who might otherwise use uninsured/non-compliant scooters ... it maybe a, gift horse, for the licensees

does look like cycle path use will be contingent on local government, authorising that useage mode, from govt doc
TROs for cycle lanes and cycle tracks are updated, where required, to allow e-scooter use

Man of Honour
yes ... even if I sometimes cycle with shorts/Tshirt helmet&gloves are always mandatory ... you've much less hesitation to take the brunt of the shock/crash on your hands.

After my 4th shoulder/arm dislocation (yes 4th) Mrs Poole sewed pads into my cycling jacket on the shoulders & elbows :)
I've only come off once since then and they saved me another injury.

Soldato
I've managed to get the scooter out the boot now, and it really is just that the front wheel bolt came loose. Nothing else was bent or damaged (bar a few scratches). I was able to undo the other side, re-seat the wheel and it's now working as before.

Will definitely be making sure those are done up properly firm. Might even add a bit of threadlock to make sure.

Soldato
Given the number of folk I see riding bicycles along the pavement in the city centre I can't see it being long before a pedestrian or rider is seriously injured or killed.

I think they're a great form (green, efficient, low cost) of transport but there are way too many idiots out there to blanket allow them without restrictions like licensing, testing before being allowed to ride them and police actually bothering to enforce the law preventing their use on the pavement.

Soldato
The police don’t enforce the existing laws where they are flat out illegal, what makes you think licensing will make any difference? It’s been illegal to ride a bike on a pavement and that isn’t enforced either. Frankly the police have better things to do with their time either way....

Soldato
OP
Given the number of folk I see riding bicycles along the pavement in the city centre I can't see it being long before a pedestrian or rider is seriously injured or killed.

I think they're a great form (green, efficient, low cost) of transport but there are way too many idiots out there to blanket allow them without restrictions like licensing, testing before being allowed to ride them and police actually bothering to enforce the law preventing their use on the pavement.

With that logic why don't we ban cars? They (or rather their drivers) seriously injure and kill people. Many of them drive on the pavement too. Example: https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1277974899768700935

Motor vehicles cause a lot more damage when they are involved in collisions so there's more reason to license and test to drive them.

Soldato
I don't get the RNIB fears as I don't understand how they're any different to bicycles or electric cars. Similarly to visually unimpaired pedestrians, you can't blame the lack of sound as a reason as to why you should just be able to step out into the road away from a crossing.

Caporegime
I don't get the RNIB fears as I don't understand how they're any different to bicycles or electric cars. Similarly to visually unimpaired pedestrians, you can't blame the lack of sound as a reason as to why you should just be able to step out into the road away from a crossing.

Because it's always someone else's fault.

Soldato
I agree, it’s no different to cycling but that’s not mentioned at all. If anything a bike can go much much faster (not with me riding mind). The article the BBC is running with is very one sided, with the ‘balance’ being provided by environmental arguments rather than counters to the speed concern raised. Headline isn’t great either.

E-scooters' UK speed limit 'shocks' blindness charity https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253194

Soldato
E-scooters' UK speed limit 'shocks' blindness charity https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253194

Either the person being quoted isn't very bright or the journalist has taken some artistic licensing with the quotes as while they might expect a sedentary 4mph or something akin to walking speed, the rest of the country was expecting the useful 15mph to commute around town that we've got.

Caporegime
Either the person being quoted isn't very bright or the journalist has taken some artistic licensing with the quotes as while they might expect a sedentary 4mph or something akin to walking speed, the rest of the country was expecting the useful 15mph to commute around town that we've got.

I saw that. Talk about thick. I like how they're expecting the entire rest of society to go without to suit them instead of thinking 'You know what, we're in the minority, let's adapt'.

Soldato
Blind people

Blindness comes in many forms, many blind people have some vision, be that shapes or peripheral vision, they also have other aids such as dogs and guides. It would be vary rare for someone who is completely blind to be walking around on their own without support.

The argument doesn’t really stack up, especially when you add cyclists into the conversation. Just typical I don’t like anything electric or cycling related nonsense.

The noise makers in cars are as much for phone zombies going for their next Darwin Award than they are for people who have a disability.

You also know that most collisions involving a car and cyclist are the fault of the driver and not as you imply.

Soldato
Blindness comes in many forms, many blind people have some vision, be that shapes or peripheral vision, they also have other aids such as dogs and guides. It would be vary rare for someone who is completely blind to be walking around on their own without support.

The argument doesn’t really stack up, especially when you add cyclists into the conversation. Just typical I don’t like anything electric or cycling related nonsense.

The noise makers in cars are as much for phone zombies going for their next Darwin Award than they are for people who have a disability.

You also know that most collisions involving a car and cyclist are the fault of the driver and not as you imply.

Yea the driver often gets the blame for insurance and legal reason, but it doesn't actually mean it was their fault.

Back
Top Bottom