Road Cycling

Soldato
:D

I always forget how bad the braking on my TT bike is, takes some getting used to. Not so much the lack of stopping power but the total absence of brake modulation. I locked up my back wheel riding it last year on a totally innocuous corner and broke a rib.

I do rate disc brakes but equally I'm in no hurry at all to buy a disc braked "nice" road bike. Suspect it'll be the bike after the next one.

You're lucky, don't think my rear brake could generate enough stopping power to even slow the rear wheel down let alone lock it :D

I wouldn't have been going down this route if I didn't write off my Felt. I was hoping it would have lasted me longer than the whopping 9 months it enjoyed it's life.

Soldato
My saddle bags are starting to get a bit tired and I'm thinking of swapping to tool bottles on all my bikes. I very rarely take two bottles out on a ride and even more rarely even start the second one so there isn't a problem from that point of view.

I can only see positives from doing so (bike easier to clean, able to swap a single tool bottle between bikes with same sized tubes etc.) but the number of people running saddle bags vs tool bottles makes me think I'm missing something obvious! :o

Also any recommendations for good ones would be appreciated. I may start off with a re-purposed water bottle but if I stick with it I'll buy something made for the job.

Soldato
Everything in the dishwasher, nothing kills germs like 80c water. Bottles are so cheap they are disposable to me.

You a pro? :p

I don't have a dishwasher but tend to just try remember to empty them and let them dry well. Energy powders / tablets do increase the issue but I seldom use them.

When they get bad I use bleach.

Last 5 rides I've ended up getting soaked despite forecasts saying it will be clear. Urgh! This morning got a torrential downpour that reminded me of last September ascending and descending Cat n Fiddle in pouring rain, fog, cold, floods. Apparently it's July.

Soldato
My saddle bags are starting to get a bit tired and I'm thinking of swapping to tool bottles on all my bikes. I very rarely take two bottles out on a ride and even more rarely even start the second one so there isn't a problem from that point of view.

I can only see positives from doing so (bike easier to clean, able to swap a single tool bottle between bikes with same sized tubes etc.) but the number of people running saddle bags vs tool bottles makes me think I'm missing something obvious! :o

Also any recommendations for good ones would be appreciated. I may start off with a re-purposed water bottle but if I stick with it I'll buy something made for the job.

https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-btl-18s-tools-tubes-storage-can-71967.html

I've got this and have no complaints.

fits one tube, inflator, co2, multitool with chain-breaker and 2 tyre levers, lid has space for a puncture repair kit + chain link. That's the "small" one

Soldato
How long are your rides typically? Or the longest?

Solo rides these days are 40 miles max. I do ride up to 100 miles but only as part of an event so I still only take one bottle and a few tabs to drop in when I fill up at the drink stops.

It isn't infeasible I'd need more than 750ml to drink on a ride if it was a really hot day but even my countryside rides have a few village shops en-route.

https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-btl-18s-tools-tubes-storage-can-71967.html

I've got this and have no complaints.

fits one tube, inflator, co2, multitool with chain-breaker and 2 tyre levers, lid has space for a puncture repair kit + chain link. That's the "small" one

Cheers Grudas, that is exactly the contents of my saddle bag so sounds ideal.

Soldato
You a pro? :p

I don't have a dishwasher but tend to just try remember to empty them and let them dry well. Energy powders / tablets do increase the issue but I seldom use them.

When they get bad I use bleach.

Last 5 rides I've ended up getting soaked despite forecasts saying it will be clear. Urgh! This morning got a torrential downpour that reminded me of last September ascending and descending Cat n Fiddle in pouring rain, fog, cold, floods. Apparently it's July.

:D:D I haven't bought a bottle in ages, usually get a couplethrough the course of the year from science in sport etc that get added to the mix. 2 or 3 probably either get lost or chucked in the bin. Got a few nices ones I prefer using.

Soldato
Why is it seen that hydraulic disc brakes are a "trend" as opposed to an actual evolution?
I'm of the same opinion, I was aiming at the trend of 'disk brakes for everything across the whole road range at the expense of quality' that we're seeing to some degree. There's no reason a £600 Halfords alu special needs disk brakes and cutting corners everywhere else to meet the price point. When disk setups are the same price as going rim then probably, but we're a long way from that yet!

I guess in my opinion riders spending less than a grand on their first road bike really don't need disks...

So, I gave up riding at the end of last year but have this print to remember the efforts, club rides and Sportives. I think it goes well in my computer room.

50065226908_4240a4f8a0_b.jpg

50065226998_8a7b52da41_b.jpg
Looks great! Hope things are well and you're doing loads with all the extra time you now have, thanks for stopping by! :D :cool:

Unrelated question, all my drinks bottles seem to get a grey looking (what I assume is some kind of) mould in them. I rinse them and leave them to drip dry after use, but maybe I put them back on my shelf with some water still in... Is this normal? Are there some tablets I can leave in them from time to time to clean? Should I actually be scrubbing the insides with a brush each time?

At present, I've just ordered a new bottle, but obviously that's not good environmentally to do, so what should I be doing here?
I used to bin bottles when they smelt too bad, but before that tried various 'home remedy' type things... Boiling water and lemon juice probably best for odors. A bottle brush the scrub rhe bottoms too. I didn't go as far as bleach as really not a safe idea!

General advice is usually dishwasher but I've never done that with mine. Also make sure they're totally dry with the tops off before putting them away. As mentioned use Milton tablets, they're cheap if I recall. Are those the ones made for cleaning/sterilizing dentures? If not then anything like that.

Baby bottle cleaners/sterilizing things work well, that's what I'm using. Got some travel ones where you add a cup of water and chuck in the microwave. Not had a bottle melt... Yet! :p

I can't seem to get the right saddle... when I cycled years ago "san marco ponza" - a lot of people hated it but it worked well for me and never had any discomfort.. but it's discontinued and I can't find it.
What are the features of the Ponza? Got a pic? I've a couple of San Marco on the shelf. Actually I've got various and should have a clear out!

If you want scary try riding my TT bike.
TT bikes are not made for slowing down! :D

:D:D I haven't bought a bottle in ages, usually get a couplethrough the course of the year from science in sport etc that get added to the mix. 2 or 3 probably either get lost or chucked in the bin. Got a few nices ones I prefer using.
I got a couple of Elite bottles and a couple of the Prime ones. Really like the Prime ones best! Brilliant light bottle for the money, neck is actually wide enough to get a brush/sponge/cloth in the bottom to scrub them too!

I've a bad habit of not finishing a bottle so just slinging it onto the turbo bike for the next ride on there as I'll generally always finish what I have, although they can sometimes sit there for several days.

Before then was using 800ml Sis and High5 bottles. Preferred the Sis caps as they where soft on my teeth. Both terrible for getting clean though.

I was waiting for a bundle of Prime to appear on the wiggle 'bay page but before they did ended up with 6 Tacx Shanti bottles for around £10 delivered. Crazy price. They're ok bottles, very firm/sturdy and squeeze well with good caps. But they're a pain to clean and so are the tops so they won't be doing more than a year or two. Have 2 different colours on the go so can distinguish between electrolyte and energy,which is nice and not something I've really done before.

Soldato
If it looks to good to be, well then you know the rest .....

just looks like random photos next to random start prices to lure people, in 2/10 for effort!
My mate sent me the link since she's on the lookout for her first bike. I've told her to quit being an idiot.

What are people's views on Liv bikes? I've explained to her they will measure her up at giant and that they're specifically for women... Good thing, or just a bit faddy?

Soldato
They are probably one of the most made for women bikes that I've worked on.

Had two disc ultegra carbon Road bikes in today and a friend just got her carbon tiagra non disc bike today.

Think price wise you pay a premium vs a mens model but are made so small, narrow bars, short reach levers on the hydraulics I think. Certainly closer and a wider lever blade than my ultegra hydros.

Good luck finding a bike at the moment though.

Pretty colours

Soldato
They are probably one of the most made for women bikes that I've worked on.

Had two disc ultegra carbon Road bikes in today and a friend just got her carbon tiagra non disc bike today.

Think price wise you pay a premium vs a mens model but are made so small, narrow bars, short reach levers on the hydraulics I think. Certainly closer and a wider lever blade than my ultegra hydros.

Good luck finding a bike at the moment though.

Pretty colours

Thanks for the feedback. I know our local Giant have some stock so I think she will at least go chat and get measured. She's a keen athlete, into her horse riding, swimming and running. She aims to compete in triathlons so of course cycling is her next aim to master.

Soldato
I spoke to a couple of riders in our cx league who have them for racing and they said they were sort of forced down that route because of their sub average height for woman (they're tiny). They did rate them though.

Soldato
I guess in my opinion riders spending less than a grand on their first road bike really don't need disks...
I must say, I'm of the completely opposite opinion. Then again, I seem to be in a growing minority of people who are into cycling who think that you don't need to spend four figures to get a decent bike.

I've got four bikes all with different types of brakes;
Hybrid with V-brakes
Road bike with caliper brakes
Gravel with cable discs
MTB with hydraulic discs

The only one where the braking is an issue? The road bike. The most expensive bike out of the list... the road bike! For full disclosure though despite being the most expensive even that came in at less than £500. Swapping to better rims and Swissstop pads helped a little but they are still WAY behind the other three.

I have no braking issues with any of the others (apart from when I managed to spray silicone bike polish all over my discs but that was my own stupid fault...) even the gravel bike with its universally disliked Tektro Mira disc brakes.

While the Avid hydraulics on my MTB are by far the nicest to use I can't get behind the idea that there is any issue with cable disc brakes and once you take hydraulics out of the equation you can get some perfectly adequate disc brakes that don't absorb component cost from other areas.

Soldato
I don't think the argument is you can't get a decent bike under £1k but you are certainly limited by your budget then. You're probably best getting decent older tech, instead of crap new tech, at that budget I think was roadys point. As you've highlighted though, YMMV.

Soldato
I don't think the argument is you can't get a decent bike under £1k but you are certainly limited by your budget then. You're probably best getting decent older tech, instead of crap new tech, at that budget I think was roadys point. As you've highlighted though, YMMV.
No that was a bit of an irrelevant point I put in there. Its just a sore point for me at the moment with some cycling elitists I know who are putting people off getting into cycling because "you can't buy a decent bike for less than a grand".

I don't think we are talking "new crap tech" now though. Disc brakes on road bikes have been a thing for over half a decade. We've already had the filter down from the top level groupsets and pretty good alternatives from the likes of Tektro etc.

There comes a point where you save more from standardising your frames and components than you do from saving £5 on rim calipers over discs.

Soldato
No that was a bit of an irrelevant point I put in there. Its just a sore point for me at the moment with some cycling elitists I know who are putting people off getting into cycling because "you can't buy a decent bike for less than a grand".

I don't think we are talking "new crap tech" now though. Disc brakes on road bikes have been a thing for over half a decade. We've already had the filter down from the top level groupsets and pretty good alternatives from the likes of Tektro etc.

There comes a point where you save more from standardising your frames and components than you do from saving £5 on rim calipers over discs.
Yeah I do agree, there is an element of snobbery. For example, my experience when hitting the roads and bumping into people at cafés is sneering from some because my bike "isn't the right brand"... Lol! The problem you have is a lot of rich kids or middle aged successful folk who are used to getting what they want and think nothing of spunking £10k on a Pinarello. You know what though, I just don't care and what's more, I find the snobs are few and far between. The majority of people I meet are friendly and more than forthcoming with their advice if I ask for it, even the rich kids :p

Do you genuinely find that you encounter these "elitists" regularly in person? Or would you say you're finding them online perhaps? Either way, it's quite simple to distance and avoid.

Soldato
And don't forget discs have been the standard on mountain bikes for the thick end of 20 years. There's really not a lot of changes needed to the tech. Shimano calipers are cross compatible with MTB ones!

Back
Top Bottom