The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
The answer to your first question is N/A, I haven't played the game, which is why in both threads I haven't stated my opinion on the game.

I did consider explaining why I ahven't played it, as well as answering your second question but lets be honest, you and the others who consider it a master piece don't care about my answer you're just going to throw insults, and completly irgnore everything i say and the most extreme amongst you will outright lie in future posts.
I mean, yeah it’s my GoTG. Everyone’s opinion matters, and everyone is entitled to one. I’m not going to try and shoot someone down for disliking the game. I do however think 6 is too low. It also seems a little disingenuous.

I think you’re putting yourself down a little there. I’d be interested in what you thought of the game, had you played it. And I most definitely am not going to throw insults.

Soldato
I did consider explaining why I ahven't played it, as well as answering your second question but lets be honest, you and the others who consider it a master piece don't care about my answer you're just going to throw insults, and completly irgnore everything i say and the most extreme amongst you will outright lie in future posts.

It doesn't really bother me if you want to play it or not, but I am surprised why anyone with an interest in gaming wouldn't want to. Story aside, this is handsdown the best gameworld in a video game. In 30 years of gaming, PC and console, i've yet to see anything that comes close. I'm not just talking visually - although i'd argue it's the best looking game to date, too - but in how well realised the world is. You can stop at any point and it's impressive. I walked up to a random couch at one point and it looked real. Worn, cracked leather. Bits of debris, bits of rubbish, torn wallpaper behind. Little bits of graffiti, ripped posters. It looks real in a way we haven't seen before and the whole experience is magnified as a result. And this was in an unremarkable part of the game with no loot nearby or anything of interest - wait until you're out in the open, or surrounded by npcs in a town. Or any part of the game really. It looks and plays like one continuous, gorgeous cutscene. And the subtle film grain! I also meant it when I said it's a better survival horror than Resident Evil and a better tactical/action shooter than Metal Gear. So yeah, I don't get why a gamer wouldn't want to experience this.

As for criticsims - the big spoiler that everyone knows about by now and the lesbian stuff didn't even factor as issues for me. My gripe is the first 1/4 of the game is the weakest - character and pacing issues - and there are moments that are just too damn brutal. Seemingly, by the end, for the sake of it.

Soldato
It doesn't really bother me if you want to play it or not, but I am surprised why anyone with an interest in gaming wouldn't want to. Story aside, this is handsdown the best gameworld in a video game. In 30 years of gaming, PC and console, i've yet to see anything that comes close. I'm not just talking visually - although i'd argue it's the best looking game to date, too - but in how well realised the world is. You can stop at any point and it's impressive. I walked up to a random couch at one point and it looked real. Worn, cracked leather. Bits of debris, bits of rubbish, torn wallpaper behind. Little bits of graffiti, ripped posters. It looks real in a way we haven't seen before and the whole experience is magnified as a result. And this was in an unremarkable part of the game with no loot nearby or anything of interest - wait until you're out in the open, or surrounded by npcs in a town. Or any part of the game really. It looks and plays like one continuous, gorgeous cutscene. And the subtle film grain! I also meant it when I said it's a better survival horror than Resident Evil and a better tactical/action shooter than Metal Gear. So yeah, I don't get why a gamer wouldn't want to experience this.
I'm assuming you quoted me because you wanted a response to what you just posted.
I agree from what i have seen it looks good but my bar for being blown away/impressed is higher than the average gamer because i like CGI art and browse websites that are dedicated to it. This has altered my perception of things like this. For me it is not a compelling enough reason.

Soldato
I'm assuming you quoted me because you wanted a response to what you just posted.
I agree from what i have seen it looks good but my bar for being blown away/impressed is higher than the average gamer because i like CGI art and browse websites that are dedicated to it. This has altered my perception of things like this. For me it is not a compelling enough reason.

Well then i'm even more suprised as this is the kind of detail TLoU2 offers that no other video game has. It's also the consistency of detail, which is arguably more impressive. It's silly how far ahead of the game Naughty Dog are in this area. Potentially your loss.

Soldato
Well then i'm even more suprised as this is the kind of detail TLoU2 offers that no other video game has. It's also the consistency of detail, which is arguably more impressive. It's silly how far ahead of the game Naughty Dog are in this area. Potentially your loss.
Or I could just wait for the high poly models to get posted online were i can really appreciate the intricate detail
https://magazine.artstation.com/202...prow&utm_campaign=1636-the-last-of-us-part-ii

Also just to clairfy i am only "impressed/blown away" by literal Movie quality models and enviroments.

For those of you that care this is how they do their lighting in the game
Dynamic Lights:
Things like torches, flood lights or lanterns that cast light and would effect the players shadow are simple run time lights. These are of course expensive compared to pre computed baked lighting but allow for real time shadows and fog interaction from Players and NPCs.

Dynamic Sun Light:
If the level has sunlight in it we are using a single Dynamic Sun Spotlight that has Cascading Shadow detail. We can control the range from the Player and the detail quality of the shadows. Say for up to 20 meters away from the Player we want full rez shadows, maybe at 50 meters we drop to half rez shadows and shadows beyond 80 meters are 1/4th resolution. (note, since many levels are overcast we actually have the sun entirely disabled as its an extra expense that is not needed. You wouldn't have shadows appear in a fully overcast day)

Precomputed Lighting:
The majority of our games are precomputed baked lighting that is stored in Lightmaps. This gives us great soft shadows, the ability to have a lot of bounce light color effect the scene all the while keeping the frame rate hit low as this information is baked into the lightmaps. It of course means shadows cannot change dynamically and a scene would need to be rebaked for any light adjustment.

It also means when working on these levels you have to wait generally between 2 to 5 hours depending on the size of the level for lighting to be calculated and stored in lightmaps. Changes to the level geometry can and often does break the lightmaps and they must be rebaked. Again using lightmaps gives you great shoft shadows and keeps performance running great. Dynamic lights are extremely expensive and you can only have so many.

https://polycount.com/discussion/220739/the-last-of-us-2-environments

Associate
Care to elaborate in the spoiler thread?
Im not going to go into detail but i was watching his stream and their is a big moment in the game and he knew it was coming he just threw his controller in the air then sat their with his arms crossed sulking he had an adversarial attitude to the game after that and never gave it a chance he came across as a big baby to be honest.

Associate
Finished it last night.

I give it a 8/10.

The first one was better imo but this one really doesn't deserve the hate it's been getting.
Yeah 8 or 9 is about right but people giving it a 5 or 6 is what you give to absolute trash like Anthem or Fallout 76 and this game is miles better than them games.

Soldato
Loved the original and stuck about 5 hours into this one the first weekend it came out, and haven't bothered going back to it since.

Does it get any better? Does the story pick up at all?

Soldato
Loved the original and stuck about 5 hours into this one the first weekend it came out, and haven't bothered going back to it since.

Well, the vast majority of people have really enjoyed the game, no guarantee you will though. Personally I really like the way the story weaves together, but it's quite hard to say any more than that without spoilers.

Soldato
Well, the vast majority of people have really enjoyed the game, no guarantee you will though. Personally I really like the way the story weaves together, but it's quite hard to say any more than that without spoilers.

The game doesn't feel particularly enjoyable to play through; I'll try going back to it this weekend and push forward, give it a few more hours.

I'd heard the reviews were generally positive but I can only speak from my own experience.

Associate
:confused: 5 or 6 would make them average, not absolute trash. That Angry Joe fella was only going to give it 5 but changed it to a six.
Its not a 5 or a 6 game he made his mind up about the game when he read the leaks i watched his stream he did not give the game a chance look at his body language he was sulking like a big baby go watch it.

Soldato

The first 1/4 is the weakest. From then it picks up to levels the first can't match. Story/character wise it's subjective and your mileage may vary. For me, the story was good, if too damn brutal and bleak at times. If you thought the first was bleak - you haven't seen anything yet! In terms of the gameworld, gameplay, graphics, just the sheer goddamn epicness of what happens, TLoU2 is leagues ahead. You should absolutely play it through.

Back
Top Bottom