• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Don't think SLI supports 4 cards anymore, they stopped that few years ago - max is 2 now.
I remember reading that there was a key you could get that unlocked it. But that was ages ago, probably not the case no more. As I say, only good for benching anyways. Single card is the way to go for gaming imo and the top dog is the Titan.

Soldato
Soldato
If you read the tweets,it appears the whole consumer range is made on Samsung 8NM. It is the compute GPUs which will be made on TSMC 7NM.

That lines up with up earlier rumours except i thought at least the 3080ti/Titan would still be on 7nm - but it's also logical to only use 7nm for the GA100 workstation/server cards and 8nm for gaming cards

Man of Honour
That lines up with up earlier rumours except i thought at least the 3080ti/Titan would still be on 7nm - but it's also logical to only use 7nm for the GA100 workstation/server cards and 8nm for gaming cards

I wouldn't assume anything other than we know some professional/workstation lines are TSMC - nVidia spent a lot of time evaluating price, availability, etc. on the different nodes and some people (who have a connection to or work in the industry but not for nVidia) might be aware of engineering runs that aren't necessarily representative on where the cores for those products will actually be mass produced.

Associate
Word on the vine is that NVIDIA is planning to fabricate the next generation RTX 3000 Ampere GPUs on Samsung's 8nm process.

https://wccftech.com/nvidias-rtx-3090-ampere-gpu-series-is-based-samsungs-8nm-process/

This isn't a new rumour but @kopite7kimi on twitter seems confident that this is the case and he has form on getting his info right in the past.

Would this tie in with the other leaks about high TDPs for the Ampere gaming cards (upto 375W) if Nvidia has been forced to up the voltage to compensate for Samsung's process node?

EDIT: Didn't realise @CAT-THE-FIFTH had already posted links to this twitter but I've added what was claimed about power usage by the same person :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom