Seagate hdd heat problem?

Associate
I have a 1tb seagate hdd which is running at 65c now is that to hot for a hdd. If it is to hot could that cause windows 10 to lockup or bsod?

Soldato
It's too hot, and it'll likely reduce the drive's life. The maximum permitted operating temperature is going to be 50-60 degrees range and I wouldn't want to run them at much over 40 degrees.

Once it does start to die you could see problems in Windows.

You need to get some airflow moving over it.

Soldato
65°c is far too hot for a HDD. I wouldn't feel comfortable running one over 40°c for any considerable length of time.

I have 6 WD drives bunched together in my server, and even with active cooling struggle to keep them under 40°c when the ambient temperature creeps up. Even the thought of it makes me uncomfortable!

I have very recently had one of the drives die, although I can't say whether this was temperature or age related.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have a antec 900 case and I have 3 hard drives in the cage where hard drives go with a 120mm fan blowing air onto them. I used to have 2 hard drive cages itstalled but had to take one out so I could fit the pump for my custom water cooler for the cpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
That drive should definitely be running much cooler than 65°c in that configuration. I have 6 drives stacked pretty much on top of each other in an old Antec 1080AMG and with active cooling they max out at 41 degrees.

Even with passive cooling I wouldn't expect a single drive to run any hotter.

How are you monitoring temps?

Soldato
For best reliability HDD's (and SSD's) should have some air moving over them, I think it was google some years ago that had data on this.

I use Silverstone FT-02 cases, with a 180mm fan running at low RPM under the HDD bays.

Associate
OP
That drive should definitely be running much cooler than 65°c in that configuration. I have 6 drives stacked pretty much on top of each other in an old Antec 1080AMG and with active cooling they max out at 41 degrees.

Even with passive cooling I wouldn't expect a single drive to run any hotter.

How are you monitoring temps?

I was checking temps with hw monitor and HD tune.

Soldato
No obvious reason they'd be misreporting.

I'd try (carefully) touching the drive while it's reporting the high temperature and see if it really does feel that hot. 65 degrees is getting into ouch territory.

Associate
OP
I have now cleaned the fan filter and fan and now hd tune says hdd is 30c hw monitor says it is 30c and crystal disk info says it is 30c so will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom