Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Is getting blisters/tough skin an inevitable result from walking a lot? I appreciate that good fitting shoes will help but are they still inevitable?

Soldato
I really enjoy that stretch and the little scramble up and down at the foot Scafell Pike from Broad Crag. Every time I've done Scafell Pike I've started in Langdale and it's a great walk up the front Bowfell and across Esk Haus.

Done Great Gable via Seathwaite last year and liking the area around the Styhead and Sprinkling Tarns, lots of wild campers there so thinking of doing that myself some time. Haven't really camped properly before so would need to look properly into what I need.

May as well do that from Langdale though when I get around it so the trips don't get too stale!

Not a 100% what to do next week but looking at Old Man Coniston as that's one of the areas I haven't visited yet.

Is getting blisters/tough skin an inevitable result from walking a lot? I appreciate that good fitting shoes will help but are they still inevitable?

Can't say blisters is something I've been bothered by for some time, generally if it's new boots I may wear them just for general walking about before taking them on a hike to identify any "hot spots". When I know where boots may slightly rub my feet, this is where trusty zinc oxide tape comes in, always have that bad boy in the backpack.

Last edited:
Soldato
May as well do that from Langdale though when I get around it so the trips don't get too stale!

Not a 100% what to do next week but looking at Old Man Coniston as that's one of the areas

If you're looking for a long walk then New Dungeon Ghyll - Stickle Tarn - Harrison Stickle - Loft Crag - Pike o' Sticke then across to Rossett Pike - Bowfell - Crinkle Crags - Pike o' Blisco and finishing back at the MDG. That's a full on day but a brilliant way to see the Langdale Valley.

Soldato
If you're looking for a long walk then New Dungeon Ghyll - Stickle Tarn - Harrison Stickle - Loft Crag - Pike o' Sticke then across to Rossett Pike - Bowfell - Crinkle Crags - Pike o' Blisco and finishing back at the MDG. That's a full on day but a brilliant way to see the Langdale Valley.

Sounds like a fun one thanks, give it a go sometime!

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I have long had doubts about Salomon shoes, thanks for the warning ;)

I wouldn't put all Salomon's under the same umbrella, I've had 2 pairs of 4D quests GTX and non GTX and they've been great which is why I tried the ultra's.

I've also had to send a pair of Salewa approach shoes back due to the sole peeling, on this occasion I thought it may have been the way I walk but they went in a different spot to the Salomon's.

Using a pair of Terrex AX3 GTX at the moment they seem to be holding up well and only cost £52 on Amazon, much like Salomon I needed a half size bigger for my wide feet and the heel support feels like it could do with being a few mm's taller or slightly thinner insoles, only one issue I've had is there's a horizontal join in fabric along the heel support which unfortunately split but not causing any dramas just yet.

Capodecina
Soldato
More than 200 people have been caught wild camping in the Lake District, with 20 people fined for having a party on Catbells and others lighting fires on summits.
Well colour me amazed :eek:
After what happened in London and on the beaches, what did anyone expect?
If people think it has been bad this weekend, just wait until next weekend.

Soldato
I wish they wouldn't call those idiots 'wild campers'. People setting up camp next to a road near a lake, vandalising the local area, and leaving suitcases of rubbish are as much wild campers as drug dealers are pharmacists.

Soldato
Well my excitement over the Merrells was shortlived, had an easy 10k walk around Slaley Forest and when returned to solid ground kept hearing a sloshing sound. Sole was slightly separated on the right boot and letting water in, probably there before I even put them on.

I'd put this down to a one off but just had to return another pair of Merrell trail running shoes because the sole there started peeling after only 6 weeks of use so can't say I'm impressed with their quality control.

Back to finding a pair or boots it is, maybe try Salomons this time.

Capodecina
Soldato
I am sure that anyone who reads this thread will be aware that the Lake District has suffered from massive littering in the past few weeks and it is likely only to get worse from this weekend. Campsites and B&Bs may be open but there are no litter bins or toilets on the hills.
Soaring visitor numbers arriving to find insufficient facilities have created the perfect storm. Toilet paper is being picked out of trees and bushes. Bottles strewn along shorelines, barbecues abandoned and trees felled for campfires. In just one week, rangers filled 130 bags of rubbish dumped at local beauty spots. Normally they fill 10.
If you love the Lake District, please donate whatever you can here => https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict.org.uk/donate/donate/5/credit-card

Whatever you do, if you visit - PLEASE TAKE YOUR RUBBISH AWAY WITH YOU :)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Well my excitement over the Merrells was shortlived, had an easy 10k walk around Slaley Forest and when returned to solid ground kept hearing a sloshing sound. Sole was slightly separated on the right boot and letting water in, probably there before I even put them on.

I'd put this down to a one off but just had to return another pair of Merrell trail running shoes because the sole there started peeling after only 6 weeks of use so can't say I'm impressed with their quality control.

Back to finding a pair or boots it is, maybe try Salomons this time.

Type in Merrell to Amazon and read the reviews, some absolutely poor quality shoes coming from them at the moment.

Don
Type in Merrell to Amazon and read the reviews, some absolutely poor quality shoes coming from them at the moment.
Funny you should say that, bought a pair of Merrell walking shoes a few months ago before lockdown and didn't really get much wear out of them, but been doing more and more walking recently. Went a 3 hour walk a few weeks back and destroyed the back of my heel with a blister. On closer inspection the back of the heel in one of the boots has shockingly bad stitching that caused it.

Replaced them with a pair of Salomon X-Raise shoes, amazingly soft and velvety on the feet :cool:

So good I'm thinking of buying another pair for just knocking about town in.

Man of Honour

Yeah :( they used to make some really durable and comfortable footwear but newer models don't seem to last long at all and older ones don't have the quality they used to be made to. Sucks to see them go downhill and they've stopped making my favourite models.

Soldato
At least it's easy to return with Amazon where I got them from, guess they must have switched factories recently as reviews are generally very good.

Spotted a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX for £70ish which seems a good price, just a little hesitant as I hear they tend to run narrow and my foot is definitely on a wider side.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
At least it's easy to return with Amazon where I got them from, guess they must have switched factories recently as reviews are generally very good.

Spotted a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX for £70ish which seems a good price, just a little hesitant as I hear they tend to run narrow and my foot is definitely on a wider side.

Half size bigger always works for me with Salomon and I've got a wide foot.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Managed to grab a Farpoint 40 for travelling and a daylite from Osprey secondlife for the pricely sum of £43 with discount.

Man of Honour
Managed to grab a Farpoint 40 for travelling and a daylite from Osprey secondlife for the pricely sum of £43 with discount.
That's a brilliant price. I have a Farpoint 40 from there and it is immaculate. I am after a Daylite too so missed that. But did grab a Porter 30 as well.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
That's a brilliant price. I have a Farpoint 40 from there and it is immaculate. I am after a Daylite too so missed that. But did grab a Porter 30 as well.

That's good to know, Ive got a 65litre duffel bag but its too big for shorter trips and the fact you can fold the straps away for hand luggage size is great and justifies the purchase even more.

The Daylite was a bit of a spontaneous purchase I think it might be a touch small for family skiing trips but will probably be more than ample for MTB, they had one other on there which seems to have gone as I nearly bought two not realising you're limited to two purchases per order/month.

Soldato
Half size bigger always works for me with Salomon and I've got a wide foot.

Seems I have even wider foot because got them today and feeling on a tight side to wear them. I know boots generally stretch out a little but don't think these will get to where they will be comfortable.

Assume Salomon's other models like Quest Prime GTX and 4D GTX fit the same? Had a look at their wide models but they always seem to be insane prices.

Soldato

Definitely not, need to take changes of socks, try some Gehwol foot cream.

My routine for any walks longer than say 20 miles, is plaster my feet in Gehwol cream, thin liner socks. Then take 2 pairs of walking socks.
When your feet feel hot swap the outer socks and hang the other pair on the back of your bag to dry so you can swap again if you need to.

Also look at taking some approach shoes, i wear some really light weight trainers for as much walking as possible, and rotate them when i can with my boots, gives the inside of your boots time to cool and dry.

They basic key is to keep your feet dry and cool. Using this technique i havent managed to walk far enough to have any problems.

Soldato
Seems I have even wider foot because got them today and feeling on a tight side to wear them. I know boots generally stretch out a little but don't think these will get to where they will be comfortable.

Assume Salomon's other models like Quest Prime GTX and 4D GTX fit the same? Had a look at their wide models but they always seem to be insane prices.

Same here i went half a size up and it felt painful to wear them I am considering ALTRA Lone Peak 4.0 they are meant to be good for wide feet.

Back
Top Bottom