Electric Scooters could soon be legal...

Associate
Is there any definition about what scooters are actually legal? If I draw up a rental agreement to rent the scooter from my wife, for a 1p a week, is it now legal?

From what I've read elsewhere the reason only rental scooters are legal is that part of the payment covers insurance, so you're wife would have to do likewise.

Soldato
Given the number of folk I see riding bicycles along the pavement in the city centre I can't see it being long before a pedestrian or rider is seriously injured or killed.

I think they're a great form (green, efficient, low cost) of transport but there are way too many idiots out there to blanket allow them without restrictions like licensing, testing before being allowed to ride them and police actually bothering to enforce the law preventing their use on the pavement.

At least the trial clearly stated:
"The vehicles are banned on pavements, will be limited to 15.5mph and it is recommended that riders wear helmets."

But I really don't understand the inconsistency with a cycle by adding this:
"Riders will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence to use the vehicles, and they must be aged 16 or over."

From various threads on this, I think people and the government are still conflating eScooters with 50cc scooters far too much, they are much more akin to a cycle, anyone thats got one/tried one would no doubt attest it's just a bike you stand up on, similar speeds, similar road-usage etc, etc..

If you don't need a licence to ride a bike at 15.5MPH or be 16 or over, why would an eScooter need one? Having ridden some pretty powerful eBikes I don't really see how they are any different, or maybe the law needs changing for those too?

Last edited:
Soldato
But I really don't understand the inconsistency with a cycle by adding this:
"Riders will need a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence to use the vehicles, and they must be aged 16 or over."

From various threads on this, I think people and the government are still conflating eScooters with 50cc scooters far too much, they are much more akin to a cycle, anyone thats got one/tried one would no doubt attest it's just a bike you stand up on, similar speeds, similar road-usage etc, etc..

If you don't need a licence to ride a bike at 15.5MPH or be 16 or over, why would an eScooter need one? Having ridden some pretty powerful eBikes I don't really see how they are any different, or maybe the law needs changing for those too?

It's basically there to keep the under 16's from riding them, there is no other reason I can think of as you only need a provisional which is a few £ and a picture.

The main flaw with that is its not really possible to police without the police stopping a person on a scooter to check if they have one or not. But for them to do that they would need a reason to stop them and it can't just be to check they have a licence. The rental companies are not going to want to verify you have a licence because any barrier put in place will put people off using them (even if you have a licence) and that costs money. People are also getting more wary about handing over their personal information when its not really necessary.

Let's also be honest, the police are not going to chase you on one of these either unless your are committing serious crime. An officer on foot cant catch you and an officer in a car isn't going to be able to chase you down ally's, parks etc. There isn't really any scope to put a unique identifying mark that's visible from far away.

Soldato
yes intolerance rising - some kid's the only one in our village with one ...

it's being used on the road, no helmet, 2-up sometimes(at what weight does axle break), struggling up the hill another day around a blind bend ,
I'm doubting that the rider is any more covid considerate, than a lot of the cyclists, on our shared running path, but a collision will be less damaging, to me.

Associate
I have a mobility scooter that is road legal, is insured and is registered with DVLA but the UK speed limit for it is only 8mph which obviously really ****** off motorists behind me.
Green-power-retro-mobility-scooter-500-3-15.jpg

Man of Honour
In Benidorm and rest of Europe that is indeed the max, but UK law is 8mph on the roads (4mph on footpath) and UK distributors are obliged to restrict scooters to 8mph.

We do a week in Benidorm every year (obviously not this year) and I have seen them faster.
Electric scooters are way faster than 15mph and I'm constantly amazed I've never seen an accident.
The next time we go I'll be hiring a mobility scooter or electric scooter, I can't walk 50 yards now.

Back
Top Bottom