Experience with B Grade Items

Associate
The chap i spoke to couldnt apologise enough. He said there were a few sapphire cards that all looked the same. He thinks the B grade 580 they still have may be the 5700XT so someone may get a bargain. Its the first negative experience ive had with b grade in all the years ive had it.

Was that this one?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £159.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Associate
Must admit I have ordered something B grade and turned out they couldnt find it. Absolutely gutted so they did me a deal on a new one !
Snap for me. No such deal on a new one though, just a refund. :(.

After holding my money for 7 days for a product which never existed...

Last edited:
Associate
Makes you wonder if anyone actually checks they have the stuff.

I wonder if the stock system just doesn't update quickly enough and others can claim already sold items if quick enough.

I gave a poke in the CS forum and got an offer on the MSI Gaming X card, spending more than I'd like to, but I think I got the upgrade itch too badly after placing the B-Grade order.

Soldato
Usually had good results with mobos, though i/o shields always seem to be missing.
HDD- once, WD 80gb 800BB, almost 20yrs ago, someone gouged the seal on top so dust must've gotten in, doa.
Nvidia 5900XT, seems someone 'shaved' the AGP connector, worked until you loaded drivers then space invaders time.

Streacom fanless htpc case, the 'missing' parts were the heatpipe and cpu block to attach to the aluminum chassis heatsink, rendering the case pointless for its big trick, kept it and used a 35w tdp cpu and slow fan/heatsink but was salty about that so don't think i ever bought b grade again.

Associate
Not so good experience here. Enthoo Primo case, trashed, pretty much all accessories/rad mount missing. EK X570-E water lock, led dead, 7 quid for a replacement good value, as it was about half price. EK 2080 DRGB block, light died 2 weeks later. Won't accept the 7 quid light. Whole upgrade part required, not available from OCUK thought. 20 quid. Still 30-40 quid cheaper than the new one. But the issue with the blocks is taking everything apart to replace the led.

Soldato
Streacom fanless htpc case, the 'missing' parts were the heatpipe and cpu block to attach to the aluminum chassis heatsink, rendering the case pointless for its big trick, kept it and used a 35w tdp cpu and slow fan/heatsink but was salty about that so don't think i ever bought b grade again.

That's a horrific 'deal' to put in there, unless it cost next to nothing. The case is no longer fit for purpose like that, and they weren't cheap. Hope quality control on returns has improved.

My b grade experiences have been ok but are all ancient. An AM2 motherboard without a backplate, which I later secured for postage through vendor support. A leadtek 5950 Ultra which I really liked, and later a 6800GT. Feel like there were some other trivial items, but I never had anything faulty, or unusable.

Soldato
Last week got 2x 1070ti's tried both one after the other. Didn't majorly stress the first one, so hoping that doesn't come back to bite me, but the 2nd one is going strong and no issues. Very pleased, especially with the price.

I would add that there's some things I don't think I would risk, and cases would probably be one of them. Guess it depends on how easy it would be to send back for the most part. Would try CPU, GPU and I guess RAM without too many worries.

Soldato
I've had 4 bgrade cases over the years (2 from ocUK 2 from elsewhere) and all have came in packed as new with all the bits, 2 had a little knock in the cardboard box and that's all I've noticed. All around half price of new so can't complain really...

Case is one of those things where you can't go wrong if price is good enough, surely it wouldn't be split in half or anything, worst case scenario you got a small scratch and put a sticker on it but I've yet to see one.

Soldato
I've had 4 bgrade cases over the years (2 from ocUK 2 from elsewhere) and all have came in packed as new with all the bits, 2 had a little knock in the cardboard box and that's all I've noticed. All around half price of new so can't complain really...

Case is one of those things where you can't go wrong if price is good enough, surely it wouldn't be split in half or anything, worst case scenario you got a small scratch and put a sticker on it but I've yet to see one.

Given cases aren't that crazy expensive, and I plan on having mine longer than most the contents of that case, I think I'm happier to just buy a new one (or second hand if I've seen it). Good to hear your experiences though, and definitely changes my thoughts a bit.

Definitely plan on using clearance more often.

Soldato
That's a horrific 'deal' to put in there, unless it cost next to nothing. The case is no longer fit for purpose like that, and they weren't cheap. Hope quality control on returns has improved.

My b grade experiences have been ok but are all ancient. An AM2 motherboard without a backplate, which I later secured for postage through vendor support. A leadtek 5950 Ultra which I really liked, and later a 6800GT. Feel like there were some other trivial items, but I never had anything faulty, or unusable.

Honestly it was like maybe 30 quid under full retail price if i remember right. Complained and got a spiel about b grade parts missing items blah blah blah but i liked the case and thought maybe one day i could buy the missing bits, Streacom wanted like 70.00 shipped when i inquired a few years later so to hell with that.

Back
Top Bottom