• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you buy AMD or Nvidia when next gen GPUs are available?

Associate
While neither are perfect, I will prefer to buy an AMD GPU because I find their business practices much more palatable than Nvidia's. The performance difference at my price point would have to be pretty large for me to even consider a Nvidia card.

Associate
Will be looking to upgrade in this cycle. I’ve been holding on to see what the best price / performance card is to replace my 980ti as it’s going to struggle at 1440p.

Soldato
Massively depends. I'm running 1440p on a Vega 64. It's fine on the most part but I can't always stay above 100fps on high (although it almost always stays above 60) so an upgrade would be nice. It just depends on how much it costs to get a significant upgrade.

I don't care which team. My thoughts are, Nvidia will be ridiculously expensive. AMD will not be able to match their performance but will be slightly more reasonably priced although still more expensive than this gen.

Soldato
The best bang for buck @ 3440x1440p will be getting my £££

If I'd known better I'd have gone for the 34" but with the lower res i.e. 1080 x 2xxx as I don't really need the high pixel density text is overscaled as it is it'd be too small to read comfortably otherwise and for gaming it means a high end card unless you want to drop the settings which I hate doing its Ultra or bust! So I'm pretty much restricted to expensive Nvidia offerings if AMD were to offer similar and better value I'd almost certainly pick one of those up but thats unlikely to happen, if it was lower res I could probably have gotten away with a 2080S or equivalent.

How people manage with 4k 20" monitors is beyond me...

Last edited:
Associate
Likewise I now face the interesting prospect of trying to run 1440p on a 970. May look at an interim card until new gpus.

I had a kind of a similar issue after selling my rtx 2080ti, making a 2060 super run at 4k, I got it working pretty nicely on most games, one thing that really helped for me , was to set the Hz in the nvidia control panel to 50HZ, as I could get most games to work nicely at around 50 FPS with mostly high settings, without doing that, I found the FPS bouncing between 50 and upto 60 FPS to much to bear, but 50hz keeps a nice smooth FPS that looks pretty close to 60HZ with High detail settings....so it might work well for you at 1440p at 50hz.

Associate
I had a kind of a similar issue after selling my rtx 2080ti, making a 2060 super run at 4k, I got it working pretty nicely on most games, one thing that really helped for me , was to set the Hz in the nvidia control panel to 50HZ, as I could get most games to work nicely at around 50 FPS with mostly high settings, without doing that, I found the FPS bouncing between 50 and upto 60 FPS to much to bear, but 50hz keeps a nice smooth FPS that looks pretty close to 60HZ with High detail settings....so it might work well for you at 1440p at 50hz.

Yea that's going to be my first task, I've not a problem running at 50hz for a few months extra. And definitely look at going down to med-high in some games.

I am eagerly awaiting any news out of amd or nv now!

Soldato
I've bought all sorts of cards over the past three decades, but for the past three cards - 780 Ti, Titan XM, 2080 Ti - I have gone Nvidia because of the performance and driver stability.

If Nvidia or AMD take the proverbial with prices I'll just wait until the New Year for prices to decline markedly.

Associate
I'm open to either vendor.

Both parties have their pro's and cons with Nvidia carrying price/perf reputation damage over from Turing and AMD having to prove themselves not simply offer their own version at the same or similar price points.

Release dates will be key as I have a need to upgrade or jump ship to console if they continue to exploit the market the way its been going.

Associate
whichever hits the performance for my price point since freesync is now on both. i want an upgrade to a 56 for £350 and not paying any more for a gpu. they can do one if they cant do that. :)

Soldato
If I thought they would be on par with pricing is take whichever offered the best ray tracing. As I'm expecting Nvidia to be expensive again I'll see if AMD offer decent value for a 1440p RT capable card. If not I'll stick with my 5700XT until the next round.

Caporegime
AMD if I can be sure that their encoder works properly for recording and other tasks I do and/or I change my screen for a G-SYNC/FS2 capable one.

Associate
Had two 5770s in CF before my 780ti. Never had issues with either cards. Will be going with whoever can guarantee 1440p performance the cheapest, so probably AMD.

Associate
Do nvidia cards work well on Freesync? I've an XR341CK which does 30-75Hz and initially bought a 1080 but had to get rid as I couldn't get on with losing Freesync. Happy to buy either but need good variable refresh performance.

Back
Top Bottom