Anyone knowledgeable about driveways?

Associate
Hi all, basically looking to get my driveway redone. Had 2 quotes so far and both have said different things. To give a bit of background there is a concrete base which doesn't seem to bad but the tarmac on top has well gone and peeling / crumbling off. Area is approx 55m2

Quote 1 said: He can use the concrete base, fill in the holes in the tarmac, seal it and then bond a fresh layer of tarmac on top. Quoted about £4.5K and then as he was walking off said he'd discount it if I went with it in the next few weeks.

Quote 2 said: There is nothing there he can use, he'd have to remove all the tarmac, the concrete the lot and start again. Said I'd be looking "around £5K".

Now I'm not sure who to believe. I don't see why the concrete base can't be re-used but I think quote number 1 is over the top for that? But I don't know about these things so I guess I'll get some more quotes and see what the consensus is.

Here is a pic for reference:
KWjHKTX.jpg

Associate
I've just had my driveway redone.

Quote 2 sounds the best as you are less likely to have any issue as it will be a fresh driveway install

With quote 1 you are just patching and laying tarmac on top of the existing tarmac and can lead to it breaking up in the future

Soldato
I think both quotes are over the top, almost £100 m2 for tarmac lol.
We charge £80m2 for block paving.

Regards the concrete, if there is any cracks in it, within 6 to 12 months, these cracks will be visible through the tarmac.
Its also way better to remove any old tarmac first

If there are no cracks, then it's ok to lay tarmac over it using a tacote emulsion (glue)
You want 6mm topping at approximately 25mm deep.

If removing the concrete, you will a Mot type 1 base.
I would also use about 50mm deep of 25mm base course tarmac with 25mm of 6mm top course.

Quote 1 is taking the wee tbh, if leaving the concrete I would say a fair quote is about £3k
Removing concrete and laying a base course, fair quote would be about £4k

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think both quotes are over the top, almost £100 m2 for tarmac lol.
We charge £80m2 for block paving.

Regards the concrete, if there is any cracks in it, within 6 to 12 months, these cracks will be visible through the tarmac.
Its also way better to remove any old tarmac first

If there are no cracks, then it's ok to lay tarmac over it using a tacote emulsion (glue)
You want 6mm topping at approximately 25mm deep.

If removing the concrete, you will a Mot type 1 base.
I would also use about 50mm deep of 25mm base course tarmac with 25mm of 6mm top course.

Quote 1 is taking the wee tbh, if leaving the concrete I would say a fair quote is about £3k
Removing concrete and laying a base course, fair quote would be about £4k

Thanks for the info all food for thought. At the top of the driveway there are a few cracks in it with weeds poking through. Lower down seems ok but I guess thats irrelevant.

I figured these quotes were most likely high. The second guy sounded a bit disinterested and found him a bit arrogant so I wouldn't have given him my money regardless. Maybe they are backlogged from before lockdown. But I got the impression they had plenty of work so maybe they are pumping their prices up.

Associate
Ignoring price for the minute:

Given how your current tarmac looks, that would put me off putting new tarmac on it per option 1 - surely it will just end up looking the same.

If option 2 is willing to dig it all up and dispose of it then, to me, that's the better option.

Soldato
Thanks for the info all food for thought. At the top of the driveway there are a few cracks in it with weeds poking through. Lower down seems ok but I guess thats irrelevant.

I figured these quotes were most likely high. The second guy sounded a bit disinterested and found him a bit arrogant so I wouldn't have given him my money regardless. Maybe they are backlogged from before lockdown. But I got the impression they had plenty of work so maybe they are pumping their prices up.
The cracks can be filled with liquid bitumen, but if there is a lot of cracks it would be better to remove the concrete.
Don't rush into getting it done, get more quotes, ask family, friends, work colleagues for recommendations.
If you are driving and see a new job, knock and ask the owners for the contractors number and how they got on with him.

Associate
OP
The cracks can be filled with liquid bitumen, but if there is a lot of cracks it would be better to remove the concrete.
Don't rush into getting it done, get more quotes, ask family, friends, work colleagues for recommendations.
If you are driving and see a new job, knock and ask the owners for the contractors number and how they got on with him.

Thanks again for the advise. Just had another quote and this guy seems to think the concrete base is ok to use as well. He quoted £3.5k though I got the feeling if I said £3k to him he'd possibly do it. So just pondering that at the moment.

Associate
OP
Two more quotes in now:

Quote 3: Said he'd use the concrete base. Fill the holes, cover in bitumen and tarmac over. Quoted £3.5K.
Quote 4: An Irishman, trying not to stereotype! Said he'd remove all the old tarmac back to the concrete. Put on 2 - 3 inches of fresh tarmac. Asked what my best quote was and my inability to lie told him, he said said "well I'll do it for 3 if you want".

Anyway think that's enough quotes for now I'll think about it.

Soldato
Two more quotes in now:

Quote 3: Said he'd use the concrete base. Fill the holes, cover in bitumen and tarmac over. Quoted £3.5K.
Quote 4: An Irishman, trying not to stereotype! Said he'd remove all the old tarmac back to the concrete. Put on 2 - 3 inches of fresh tarmac. Asked what my best quote was and my inability to lie told him, he said said "well I'll do it for 3 if you want".

Ask them for a couple of address of recent jobs. and go have a look at them and even go have a chat with the home owners and ask them what the contractor was like to work with
btw. i am Irish lol

Soldato
Every quote so far sounds like you’ve got it from cowboys!! Albeit the 2nd quote coming closest to what should be done. All needs taking up ( edging/aqua drains putting in place if where necessary, Mot crush and run hardcore down/compacted and then whatever you choose for the finish. Bear in mind building materials have drastically increased! Concrete/concrete materials being hellish expensive, skips/grabber haulage you’re looking at 250 a pop etc, Labour too is not cheap for a proper job. As mentioned the 2nd quote is the most realistic coming from myself with 20+ years experience. I’d try source some quotes from reputable builders (word of mouth etc)

Man of Honour
Two more quotes in now:

Never, ever disclose your quotes. I always think badly of contractors who even ask.

Soldato
Any updates on this?

Never, ever disclose your quotes. I always think badly of contractors who even ask.

I usually just say you're the first when they ask me. Apart from one guy when I wanted a wall knocking down asked me what I was willing to pay to get him to knock it down as he had nothing on the next day and wanted the work so I purposely low balled him and he accepted. :D

Associate
OP
Any updates on this?

I usually just say you're the first when they ask me. Apart from one guy when I wanted a wall knocking down asked me what I was willing to pay to get him to knock it down as he had nothing on the next day and wanted the work so I purposely low balled him and he accepted. :D

Nothing yet unfortunately. I did contact another company for a quote. Said he'd pop over to take a look and I never heard back from him. Will be contacting another tomorrow so I'll see if he's interested.

Associate
That really all needs to come up imo. Putting more on top will raise the height of the drive another inch and either create a small step where you don’t want one or it won’t be edged so the step can be hidden and it will crumble at the edges after a winter. Also, the drainage could do with being improved and the cracks in the concrete will continue to move when it freezes and that’s what will cause cracks in the tarmac so a layer of bitumen might help to stop the problem occurring for a year or 2 but then will show through and you’ll have no hope of getting them back to fix it after that long.

As others have said, get recommendations locally, look at block paving too and ask around for people who had jobs done 3-4 years ago. If they’re still happy and the company is still around then it can give you that bit more confidence in the work.

Unless you are selling the house ASAP, I really would do a proper job. If you are selling then there are cheaper ways to ‘dress’ it than your quotes so far. For example you could get some cold lay macadam and then seal the driveway which effectively paints it black. That would last long enough to improve the kerb appeal to sell it.

Back
Top Bottom