LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
not had any of these issues, although first time i connected the screen up. it actaully configured it to be 30hz in NVCP but 60 in windows and i got ghosting.

Forced update in NVCP no issue since then
So how are you finding it smogsy? Huge improvement over you other monitors? I still have not hooked my pc up to my OLED in the living room to test. Waiting on next gen cards.

Also what happened to the mancave? You don’t stay there no more? Is it still in good condition, was it worth the cost in hindsight?

Caporegime
Hello,
I got this TV yesterday and i dont know what I am doing wrong but so far its not meeting my expectations.
My current screen for my PC is a Pana Plasma. Running 60 hz.
The problems I have is when running 60 hz games on the LG.

1. Extreme input lag in all screen modes except game mode. But in game mode there is a lot of ghosting.
2. Extreme ghosting(ufo test) in game mode.

This is only in 60hz. In 120 Hz its much better almost as good as my 2012 plasma.
In game mode, the ghosting is much worse than in other modes(60hz). Turning on trumotion fixes that but the screen is flickering like and old CRT and it gets very dark.

So why not use 120 hz in nvidia cpl then? Well, because my 1080TI cant keep 120fps in all games and it introduces stutter.
On the plasma everything ran smooth and with low input lag in 60hz.

What happens if I connect a ps4 which runs 60hz will there be as much lag and ghosting?

Anyone else have this issue in 60hz in this LG?

It is even very noticable in windows mouse pointer in 60hz. Very laggy and ghosting.
It sounds like a driver/software/settings issue and not a faulty TV. Aren't you using Gsync?

Soldato
Considering ps5 isn’t out yet and don’t no when the new nvidia cards are out would you wait to see if possibly the price comes down a little,
as I’m gaming on a 1080ti with a dell s2716dg display,

There's a strong argument to wait yes, if you can. Come Black Friday, the 48" should be available for about £1K I'm hoping.

Associate
There's a strong argument to wait yes, if you can. Come Black Friday, the 48" should be available for about £1K I'm hoping.

HDMI 2.1 graphic cards should be out by then so probably good to hold of purchasing anything until the full end to end solution is available.

Associate
Checked with my PS4 now and 60 hz in game mode looks crap regarding movement clearity honest. For example run the game Dragons Crown 60 fps PS4. Sidescrolling in town the location texts scrolling by is very fuzzy and hard to read.

Switch to standard mode preset and there you go, perfectly clear text.

Enabling or disabling instant game response does nothing on clearity.

Problem with standard mode is the really bad response lag. Everything is sluggish, controller / mouse movement in games.

So I guess I'll have to bring the unit back to store and continue using my plasma from 2012.

Really pitty since using it with PC in 120 hz the movement clearity is perfect in game mode. But then I wont be able to keep 120 fps in all games in 1080P without lowering graphics settings.

Why on earth cant this LG handle 60 hz as well as 120 HZ???

Associate
HDMI 2.1 graphic cards should be out by then so probably good to hold of purchasing anything until the full end to end solution is available.

If you are going to wait till the end of the year, you might as well wait till 2021, since we are likely to see QD-OLED and/or QNED by then, which "should" be above and beyond what LG is putting out OLED wise. They are both slightly tweaked OLED versions, both with their own advantages over OLED, with less problems regarding burn-in etc etc, while also improving image quality etc etc. The info is all available online about it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you are going to wait till the end of the year, you might as well wait till 2021, since we are likely to see QD-OLED and/or QNED by then, which "should" be above and beyond what LG is putting out OLED wise. They are both slightly tweaked OLED versions, both with their own advantages over OLED, with less problems regarding burn-in etc etc, while also improving image quality etc etc. The info is all available online about it.
Yeah but unless it is the same price or cheaper... Not good having to then wait another 2-3 years to price to come down, unless you are loaded YOLO that is :p:D

Associate
Yeah but unless it is the same price or cheaper... Not good having to then wait another 2-3 years to price to come down, unless you are loaded YOLO that is :p:D

Yeah but the thing is though, one of the big advantages they will have over LG WRGB OLED tech, is by using quantum dot filters, they simplify the design and bring down costs by using less layers and complexity, any “higher costs” to the consumer will just be greed. Also of note, is the fact Samsung Display has ceased producing LCD displays. They are not interested in only selling screens for 5k to the rich, they need a tech they can mass produce and sell to the masses.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah but the thing is though, one of the big advantages they will have over LG WRGB OLED tech, is by using quantum dot filters, they simplify the design and bring down costs by using less layers and complexity, any “higher costs” to the consumer will just be greed. Also of note, is the fact Samsung Display has ceased producing LCD displays. They are not interested in only selling screens for 5k to the rich, they need a tech they can mass produce and sell to the masses.
Hope you are right. Will be interesting to see how it goes. Would love to pick a 40" one up and use as a PC monitor for £600 or so ;)

Associate

Xmas time would be a perfect time for some. Lets say this drops to £1000 or £1100 and the PS5 is around £500 then it would be like getting a free PS5 compared to todays prices.

Some people get the latest tech at the release prices and kudos to them. Others like myself wait till bargain prices and then pounce !

Caporegime
But not surprising. They have always been this way.
Well, not 'always', I remember their early days when they were still young, fresh and reasonably honourable company. It's more in the last decade, especially the last 5 years, when they started being more cut-throat and unreasonable with artificial limitations like this. Sadly, they are not alone and it becoming commonplace in the tech industry.

Luckily for them they still make the best cards and do have fantastic engineers, but I want AMD to really pile on the pressure in the coming gen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well, not 'always', I remember their early days when they were still young, fresh and reasonably honourable company. It's more in the last decade, especially the last 5 years, when they started being more cut-throat and unreasonable with artificial limitations like this. Sadly, they are not alone and it becoming commonplace in the tech industry.

Luckily for them they still make the best cards and do have fantastic engineers, but I want AMD to really pile on the pressure in the coming gen.
Had a feeling someone would say that. Well yes obviously :p

Yea. I do hope AMD manage to take the crown for like the next 5 years or so, that way things can balance out a little.

Associate
i think ive decided to wait to either ps5 or nvidia card which ever comes out first and see what the price is on this tv,
as at the moment my 1080ti and dell monitor is fine, just have to suffer acouple of months with playing ps4 pro on 1080p lol.

Soldato
So how are you finding it smogsy? Huge improvement over you other monitors? I still have not hooked my pc up to my OLED in the living room to test. Waiting on next gen cards.

Also what happened to the mancave? You don’t stay there no more? Is it still in good condition, was it worth the cost in hindsight?

1) much better due to its HDR/colours for games that support it
2) however if you dont get constant fps at 4K tears can be quite visible vs my 4K gsync panel. im happy with 35-40fps oin my asus panel but here i want 50FPS will be fixed once i get hold of the 3080Ti

3) would buy it again just for size benefit+ hdr

Man-cave is currently an art studio
still in great condition - definately worth the cash.

will get it back in my hands sometime in the future, most likely after covid

i would like to turn it into Rack Room.
Get some
nice 45U racks
mount all my Media kit.
Get a nice HPE DL360s
Get a better NAS/SAN
create a Vmware Cluster

Last edited:
Soldato

Valid but such a product is atleast 2-3 years away. We won't see anything in 2021, I'm quite certain. If the 48" is under £1K come Black Friday, and there is no mention of any other OLED display to compete (which I doubt there will be even confirmed existence of), it's a no brainer.

Soldato

No release date in sight for those. I'd rather enjoy the best in class image quality of my CX48 right now, rather than wait. Honestly, once you've seen the colours and quality of the image on these, you'll find anything else sub par.

I think it will be more like 2022 before we see QD-OLED and/or QNED monitors that are suitable for gaming, things always tend to get delayed these days.

Soldato
Valid but such a product is atleast 2-3 years away. We won't see anything in 2021, I'm quite certain. If the 48" is under £1K come Black Friday, and there is no mention of any other OLED display to compete (which I doubt there will be even confirmed existence of), it's a no brainer.
its quite close to that from the LG VIP store ;)

Back
Top Bottom