What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Finally bothered to take some pics when there is some natural light in the utility (sky light), wife also has a LED plant grower thing which is why there is a weird shadow. This has been a real slog for me as the door frames needed a lot of work to get right (lots of gaps, excessive paint blobs etc).

qMcgRM4.jpg
cmZafyd.jpg

The door pictured here is to my garage which I have not painted (or the frame). Considering replacing the whole frame and maybe the door as its been fitted really badly. Maybe even change to a UPVC door.
7A9SlJo.jpg

The downstairs loo is next. I've removed some of the sealant from the skirting on the right hand side (against the tiles) but this is the state some of the skirting is in which annoys me. I know I am not right in the head ;) :D
rYtKH1S.jpg

Soldato
List of jobs done over the last week:

Filled numerous screw holes in plasterboard
Painted the horrendous red hallway
Painted the decking
Fixed door handles
Glued window trim back in place
Fixed split plastic on door frame
Fitted ceiling rose that was just left dangling
Took huge pile of rubbish left round side of house to skip
Removed all kiddy stickers from bedroom wall
Organised getting boiler fixed
Organised getting new aerial fitted
Figured out what was causing the breaker to trip
Adjusted kitchen unit doors
Replaced all faulty bulbs
Organising internet
Sorting energy contract

Many more jobs to do....

Last edited:
Soldato
I need todo.. obtain fence paint, paint fence, finalise and order pipework for pond, arrange excavator, order rebar, sort out slab formers and order concrete slab pour.

Soldato
Built and painted a new side gate. Quite chuffed with the result for my first try. Cheaper than buying one too.

Think it cost me £32 for wood and 18 for hinges and latch.

It made me realise how crap my mitre saw is though.

Soldato
More digging. Aswell as doing it all weekend.

But getting close now.

IMG-20200630-185425.jpg

Soldato
Mowed the lawn and gave it a good raking, put some seed down and covered with a good layer of compost. Probably not the proper way to do it but should come back thicker and I think I will invest in a new lawn mower that is height adjustable, this one seems rather low.

Soldato
Fitted some cheap mirror/UV/IR blocker film to some windows that are in the sun all day long. A combination of French window frames of not being square, the edges of the Chinese film being not entirely parallel and my cutting it about as straight as Michael J. Fox could full of meth and on a space hopper meant that none of it really fits very well.

Had a blazing row with Herself as part of the fun too.

Paying professionals to fit it does seem the way to go in future. Or anyone else so I don’t get yelled at.

The trick is plenty of water - Get a spray bottle and fill with weak soapy water - cut sheets about right size -spray windows -blade off -wipe with microfiber cloth then spray again - spray film and slap on - line it up and you need a small plastic scraper to smooth the film down, start from middle and work out -really press into edges- use a thin blade Stanley type knife (snap off blades) and cut round edge.

Easy :D:D I have watched it done many times.

ps - don't buy rubbish film it's rubbish :rolleyes:

Soldato
The trick is plenty of water - Get a spray bottle and fill with weak soapy water - cut sheets about right size -spray windows -blade off -wipe with microfiber cloth then spray again - spray film and slap on - line it up and you need a small plastic scraper to smooth the film down, start from middle and work out -really press into edges- use a thin blade Stanley type knife (snap off blades) and cut round edge.

Easy :D:D I have watched it done many times.

ps - don't buy rubbish film it's rubbish :rolleyes:

The Film Fu is strong in you. Will definitely buy better quality film next time. The problem with trimming to size once the film is in place is that our windows have a very soft rubber seal at the edge which we didn’t want cut.

It’s made a huge difference in the amount of light and heat flooding into the bedrooms, so it was worth the grief. Will buy and apply smarter next time. ;)

Soldato
The Film Fu is strong in you. Will definitely buy better quality film next time. The problem with trimming to size once the film is in place is that our windows have a very soft rubber seal at the edge which we didn’t want cut.

It’s made a huge difference in the amount of light and heat flooding into the bedrooms, so it was worth the grief. Will buy and apply smarter next time. ;)
Any photos? I'm unlikely to upgrade this place as the landlord is lazy and neglectful sometimes but... It does get really hot in the evening sun.

Soldato
Fitted a "Chicken Guard" automatic / timed coop door open and closer.

We have a few trips coming up and have someone coming round to feed / water / clean out the animals but can't commit to the 0700 opening and 2230 closing of the coop so bought this.

Wanted to install and test it while still here to make sure it was working properly.

Before (wooden door and runners)

IMG-20200704-110120.jpg

Removed the runners so the door could be taken off

IMG-20200704-110546.jpg

Then fitted the runners, door and control unit

It "worked" but the coop isn't particularly flat / level as we live on a hill and the runners kept sticking so replaced the aluminium runners with the original wooden runners and it works perfectly

IMG-20200704-115123.jpg

Soldato
Have you put your hand in the egg nest and touched a rat yet ?

Is that a euphemism? :D

Lol, no. The chance of rats with three cats is pretty skim

Moved inside and cut out a perimeter strip of carpet and the gripper rod so we can gloss right to the bottom of the skirtings and leave (most of) the carpet in place until the new floor goes down

IMG-20200704-154357.jpg

IMG-20200704-154353.jpg

IMG-20200704-154350.jpg

Soldato
We had two cats but still had rats in chicken run. Had to turn pen on it's side so wife could clout the rat with a spade then throw it in water butt to finish it off.
I could never neck em they just never snapped for me so next door did it- made it look so easy.

Soldato
Moved inside and cut out a perimeter strip of carpet and the gripper rod so we can gloss right to the bottom of the skirtings and leave (most of) the carpet in place until the new floor goes down

Come on TB, where is the fun in glossing if your not wrapping your knuckles over the carpet gripper? ;)

Laid some slabs.

That's coming on nicely :D

Back
Top Bottom