LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
The 55CX is already much cheaper than the 55C9 was at this point last year.

I would be very surprised if the 48CX isn't at or below £1000 in the Black Friday sales unless there are still issues with stock.

I would expect a price difference year on year with a model upgrade, I just thought it was a surprising depreciation over a few months for the same model. I don't pay attention to TV prices like that, so have nothing to base it on.

Interesting dilemma now!

Associate
You know the crazy thing. IF there are stock issues it could be the Cx55 that ends up at £1000 and the CX48 more expensive on black friday.

In that case I would think to hell with it and get the 55 oled and wall mount it

Soldato
The 55CX is already much cheaper than the 55C9 was at this point last year.

I would be very surprised if the 48CX isn't at or below £1000 in the Black Friday sales unless there are still issues with stock.

Probably more an issue with popularity rather than stock. With Covid19, the other new Chinese swine flu virus and other concerning global developments, there's a massive risk to the supply chains for manufacturing. Glad I've got mine now, rather than risk a massive wait.

Soldato
The vast majority of people would scoff at paying MORE for a smaller screen. It would make no sense to anyone. Obviously for PC use the smaller size is more optimal, but that's a niche sector... even though LG have gone to great lengths to showcase its gaming prowess (that applies to the whole CX range though).

I don't see the 48" ever being more costly than the 55". There's simply zero business sense to that. It's not THAT desirable over the 55", and if it were ever to be more costly, anyone interested in it would just wait, or get the 55". LG aren't daft, they know this, therefore I don't see it happening.

That said, I do think the price difference between the 48" and 55" will drop, and come BF, we may see £100 or less between them.

Associate
The vast majority of people would scoff at paying MORE for a smaller screen. It would make no sense to anyone. Obviously for PC use the smaller size is more optimal, but that's a niche sector... even though LG have gone to great lengths to showcase its gaming prowess (that applies to the whole CX range though).

I don't see the 48" ever being more costly than the 55". There's simply zero business sense to that. It's not THAT desirable over the 55", and if it were ever to be more costly, anyone interested in it would just wait, or get the 55". LG aren't daft, they know this, therefore I don't see it happening.

That said, I do think the price difference between the 48" and 55" will drop, and come BF, we may see £100 or less between them.

You do realise they are already the same price. The 55CX is now £1500 with 6 years warranty via a price match. Mad isnt it ? Shows you that retailers have some margins to play with as thats a £300 discount already.

Soldato
You do realise they are already the same price. The 55CX is now £1500 with 6 years warranty via a price match. Mad isnt it ? Shows you that retailers have some margins to play with as thats a £300 discount already.

Yes it's only the Currys exclusivity which has resulted in this. It won't last though, of course.

Associate

It's nothing to do with the things you mention, the price difference seeming to be poor value, is due to manufacturing costs. It is simply more costly for them to produce smaller screens. Hence why only now do we even get as small as 48 inch versions. The 48 inch maybe smaller, but the cost to produce it is much closer to that of the 55 inch version. They are self emissive pixels, a 55inch and 48 inch both being 4k screens, simply means for the 48ich screen they have to make smaller pixels, this can result in greater amounts of errors and defects, making yields lower and raising costs. Basically the pricing is down to differing costs due to greater challenge during manufacture to set things straight.

Edit to add.

Just to make my point more clear and believable, if producing the oled screens was a fixed cost, and scaled up and down as you increase or decrease size, then sure....

If it was the same/cheaper to produce lower sizes we would have seen 40 inch oleds long ago for $600.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, OLED screens do not simply scale in the way conventional panels do. It's like trying to miniaturize engineering. The tolerances become smaller and prices can begin to skyrocket.

Really really excited about this coming next week. I think this will probably be the perfect screen for me for a long time. Whilst not exactly ideal in the PC sense, my use that wouldn't be suitable will be minimal. However, I will always be wary of burn-in.

What to watch first though... I'm thinking Ultra HD Apocalypse Now. :cool:

Soldato
It's nothing to do with the things you mention, the price difference seeming to be poor value, is due to manufacturing costs. It is simply more costly for them to produce smaller screens. Hence why only now do we even get as small as 48 inch versions. The 48 inch maybe smaller, but the cost to produce it is much closer to that of the 55 inch version. They are self emissive pixels, a 55inch and 48 inch both being 4k screens, simply means for the 48ich screen they have to make smaller pixels, this can result in greater amounts of errors and defects, making yields lower and raising costs. Basically the pricing is down to differing costs due to greater challenge during manufacture to set things straight.

Edit to add.

Just to make my point more clear and believable, if producing the oled screens was a fixed cost, and scaled up and down as you increase or decrease size, then sure....

If it was the same/cheaper to produce lower sizes we would have seen 40 inch oleds long ago for $600.

Oh yes, I'm aware of the production cost implications, but in terms of consumer psychology, for the VAST majority of people buying a TV (who don't know anything about PC's, gaming or care about it), they wouldn't look at a more expensive 48" OLED and its cheaper 55" counterpart and see any reason to opt for the smaller more expensive variant... unless they simply can't fit a 55" in their space. That would be a tremendously difficult sell. It's not like this 48" is an LCD PC monitor, therefore it isn't subject to the kind of dumb greedy pricing strategy we are accustomed to.

Like I say though, in months to come (once Curry's exclusivity ends), while I highly doubt we'll see the 48" coming in more expensive, the price difference between the 48" and 55" will be small.

Associate
Not to derail the thread but which mouse mat is that? Lovely looking setup btw

It’s actually a Miqio felt table runner, but works pretty well as a mat! You get some bobbling to start, but that settles down after a bit and certainly doesn’t affect the mouse tracking and movement. I got it from the rainforest.

Associate
A large (deep) desk mostly solves this problem. I'd not recommend this to anyone with less than 80cm of depth.

Welcome to the club, your setup looks great.

Words don't really do this monitor justice, it's leagues ahead of any other monitor out there, once you've seen it in person, it's impossible to go back to any other screen!

I concur!

Back
Top Bottom