Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Just politely bullied my way into 350mb for £38 a month for 18 months, by politely complaining that my 200mb for £34 was now 200mb for £49 a month as fixed pricing ended. Pointed out i would happily cancel and rejoin to get new customer prices (£34 for 200mb and £40 for 350mb) and it would be easier for them just to give me what i wanted and less hassle for us all. He offered 350mb for £40 but i beat him down to £38 after basically saying i have been subsidising new customers on my higher rate for the past 3-4 months so it would be fair to knock a bit extra off for me for a change lol

Soldato
Just politely bullied my way into 350mb for £38 a month for 18 months, by politely complaining that my 200mb for £34 was now 200mb for £49 a month as fixed pricing ended. Pointed out i would happily cancel and rejoin to get new customer prices (£34 for 200mb and £40 for 350mb) and it would be easier for them just to give me what i wanted and less hassle for us all. He offered 350mb for £40 but i beat him down to £38 after basically saying i have been subsidising new customers on my higher rate for the past 3-4 months so it would be fair to knock a bit extra off for me for a change lol

Nice one ZennyS

Soldato
Does anyone here already have Gig1/M1000, or more specifically the hub 4? If so, can you let me know what the airflow is like for the bottom fan? Tear-downs indicate the fan is mounted flush with the base, which has no feet and thus sits pressed into whatever surface it's sat on. Bit of a facepalm design moment if so. I've ordered 3M rubber feet for when mine arrives just in case.

Also, can you run a ping test and let us know what the bufferbloat results are? Since they went with the Intel Puma 7 chipset, which carries over the jitter issues, I'm curious. Since it's Atom based I've read it's not so much of an issue (more raw horsepower) but I'd be curious to see real results. You can find one on DSLReports' speedtest or even the jitter from fast.com or whatever is better than nothing. Pretty please...

Associate
Does anyone here already have Gig1/M1000, or more specifically the hub 4? If so, can you let me know what the airflow is like for the bottom fan? Tear-downs indicate the fan is mounted flush with the base, which has no feet and thus sits pressed into whatever surface it's sat on. Bit of a facepalm design moment if so. I've ordered 3M rubber feet for when mine arrives just in case.

Also, can you run a ping test and let us know what the bufferbloat results are? Since they went with the Intel Puma 7 chipset, which carries over the jitter issues, I'm curious. Since it's Atom based I've read it's not so much of an issue (more raw horsepower) but I'd be curious to see real results. You can find one on DSLReports' speedtest or even the jitter from fast.com or whatever is better than nothing. Pretty please...

I've just moved from BT FTTP 330 to Gig1 with Hub 4 and all seems okay. I've just got the router in my AV cabinet and not noticed any problems with temperatures. I've got my devices hardwired in and can get 100MB/s but it's highly dependent on the download source. If you send me some links to the speedtests you want me to run I'll run them when I go on the PC later.

Soldato
My next door neighbour has had some people in this morning to replace their fence at the front side of my house - Since they turned up, I haven’t had any internet...

I’ve had a look at the small Virgin box down the side path and it all looks OK. I’m going to see how it is this evening, but I think I may need to book an Virgin engineer :(

Soldato
My next door neighbour has had some people in this morning to replace their fence at the front side of my house - Since they turned up, I haven’t had any internet...

I’ve had a look at the small Virgin box down the side path and it all looks OK. I’m going to see how it is this evening, but I think I may need to book an Virgin engineer :(

When I got my front drive tarred years ago they went through my cable with a digger, which also dragged next doors connection out the wall (From the brown box outside) so, unfortunately, its gonna be that.

Soldato
I'm going to be going back to virgin shortly and wondered what kind of wait I can expect for installation? Anyone had any recent experience what with COVID causing any backlogs or lack of engineer availability?

I see the super hub 4 is now the one to try to get? What is this oomph stuff too?
I'm going to be a new customer deal. Property is showing on go site as cable ready but not sure if it ever had it in the past.

Soldato
When I got my front drive tarred years ago they went through my cable with a digger, which also dragged next doors connection out the wall (From the brown box outside) so, unfortunately, its gonna be that.

Yep, still down :( Will have to call them tomorrow - What the hell happens now? Will Virgin have to dig it all up? :eek:

Soldato
I placed my order this week and its about a 20 day wait for installation. You won't get a super hub 4 unless you get the 1gps package.

Cheers. 20 day. Ouch. What deal? I'm wondering whether to do it in my wife's name. We used to have it all in my name and we were customers for about 15 years across 3 houses. Then in march we terminated as vacated property waiting to buy our first house. Now we are about to hopefully complete and move in so new address but not sure if I will still count as a known customer rather than new, as it's only been 4 months. If I did under her surely the new address and her name not being on system would trigger new customer deals.

Soldato
Cheers. 20 day. Ouch. What deal? I'm wondering whether to do it in my wife's name. We used to have it all in my name and we were customers for about 15 years across 3 houses. Then in march we terminated as vacated property waiting to buy our first house. Now we are about to hopefully complete and move in so new address but not sure if I will still count as a known customer rather than new, as it's only been 4 months. If I did under her surely the new address and her name not being on system would trigger new customer deals.

£39 for 350mb and a 15gb sim card.

Soldato
Yep, still down :( Will have to call them tomorrow - What the hell happens now? Will Virgin have to dig it all up? :eek:

Depends on how it was layed originally. Mines was just under some stones in the drive hence why the digger went through it. Took me three weeks to get an engineer visit for the guy to come out and say yep, that's broken, then he had to book an install team which is a different department to come out.

My neighbor was fine with it which was really understanding, bought him a nice wine for his troubles, but I had to phone every day and complain. Which is what I suggest you do. Now.

Back
Top Bottom