• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Moved to AMD, now games feel laggy (even though high FPS?)

Permabanned
guys, the op hasn't said anything in this thread for the last 5 days.

Maybe someone else will see it then sometimes you want a week away when a PC gives you crap. I was reading also about fullscreen optimization mode in win 10 and tbh.. Theres so many variables on PC these days i feel sorry for people with stutter so i try to leave them any info to help.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

I thought I would post back my findings.

I managed to fix my micro-stutter in games but it did involve an upgrade.

I bought a 10900K, Gigabyte Vision G & 32GB of 4000Mhz DDR4.

Now, I don't get any micro-stutter in games with the Radeon 5700XT.

I think its a bit of a joke that I had to do all of that just to get the thing performing correctly (my previous 1080Ti was working great even on the older i7 8700k/16GB 3200Mhz DDR4) but thats life.

Also, overclocking the card does seem to help through Wattman and uninstalling MSI Afterburner that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Oh, and I should also mention that my Vision G was running the gfx card at 8x PCI-E out of the box (due to where I'd placed my other add-in cards). It now runs at the full x16 speed.

The biggest difference I noticed was definitely the upgrade to the 10900K though. I don't get the same micro-stutter I was getting in games any longer.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the thread - fantastic community we got here!

Soldato
I don't know anyone who had a Ryzen 2000/3000 GPU complain of microstutter/lag in all games including those with a RX5700XT. Out of interest I noticed you were using Corsair RAM - did you check the memory was setup properly,and was stress tested? Corsair RAM is a bit more finicky with Ryzen setups as they tend to be a lottery of module types.

Last edited:
Soldato
tend to be a lottery of module types.
Every person I've helped that had latency/lag issues had either corsair or Gskill. Once they got rid of that ram the problems went away (Patriot, Kingston, Crucial, TeamGroup, Samsung etc).
Everyone of them had odd, random spikes when using LatencyMon. Sometimes it would happen within 1 minute, other times it took up to 5 minutes.
Also, MSI A/B's Hardware Monitor would show odd spikes in frametimes that would reach like 1000ms or something like that. Once the corsair memory was replaced all of that went away.

It was said that the xmp didn't include subtiming leaving the bios to "learn" the memory. But like you I simply took it to mean that the IC's were mix bag, ie: lottery.

Soldato
Every person I've helped that had latency/lag issues had either corsair or Gskill. Once they got rid of that ram the problems went away (Patriot, Kingston, Crucial, TeamGroup, Samsung etc).
Everyone of them had odd, random spikes when using LatencyMon. Sometimes it would happen within 1 minute, other times it took up to 5 minutes.
Also, MSI A/B's Hardware Monitor would show odd spikes in frametimes that would reach like 1000ms or something like that. Once the corsair memory was replaced all of that went away.

It was said that the xmp didn't include subtiming leaving the bios to "learn" the memory. But like you I simply took it to mean that the IC's were mix bag, ie: lottery.

This sounds the likely culprit given the card works fine now. I'm always careful on what RAM I use as I remember they old days where it could be a real pain. People now just seem to buy anything and assume it will work flawlessly. I usually make sure I have decent RAM, a good PSU and a mid tier upwards motherboard. I have very few hardware issues as a result.

Soldato
I have no idea why it’s so prevalent with Corsair though. I could understand a bad batch.

And what’s funny about it is that they don’t get any memory errors nor blue screens in windows. It will only show up if they stress test the memory. Or, play games where it’s laggy, stuttery mess. Online FPS you shoot first then die first, stuff like that.

Associate
OP
Well, funnily enough chaps I only upgraded the ram in the last few days so I was running the 10900K with old ram and 5700XT and that fixed my micro stutter.

Not going to lie the new Ram is lovely though but I only really see the difference on my music work not so much for gaming.

I now have the Patriot Viper Steel series.

C64

C64

Soldato
define micro stutter more is what i would say lots of games online for example, the servers can throw out lag and micro stutter
and isps at peak times can turn online games in to micro stutter feeling affairs but its not the computer it's the isp

Soldato
I just saw a thread on the Project Cars forum where somone with a 3950X and a 5700XT was getting microstutters in VR. He fixed his issue by changing the 5700XT. He went back to his old 980ti but kept the 3950X.

So in his case it was the GPU not the CPU.

Soldato
Well, funnily enough chaps I only upgraded the ram in the last few days so I was running the 10900K with old ram and 5700XT and that fixed my micro stutter.

Not going to lie the new Ram is lovely though but I only really see the difference on my music work not so much for gaming.

I now have the Patriot Viper Steel series.
Not according to your prior post. ;)

"I managed to fix my micro-stutter in games but it did involve an upgrade.

I bought a 10900K, Gigabyte Vision G & 32GB of 4000Mhz DDR4.

Now, I don't get any micro-stutter in games with the Radeon 5700XT."

I just saw a thread on the Project Cars forum where somone with a 3950X and a 5700XT was getting microstutters in VR. He fixed his issue by changing the 5700XT. He went back to his old 980ti but kept the 3950X.

So in his case it was the GPU not the CPU.
That game is an unfinished, abandon mess. The physics are horrible. And if I recall correctly uses physx. ACC is far, far better. They even turned PC3 into ridge racer the physics are so bad.

Even with a 2080 there are still stutter issues.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/rtx-2080-super-project-cars-2-graphics-judder.18875373/

Last edited:
Soldato
That game is an unfinished, abandon mess. The physics are horrible. And if I recall correctly uses physx. ACC is far, far better. They even turned PC3 into ridge racer the physics are so bad.

Even with a 2080 there are still stutter issues.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/rtx-2080-super-project-cars-2-graphics-judder.18875373/

I have been autocrossing for almost 15 years. The cars in PC2, that I have also driven at the limit in real life, have all matched up well. I even used PC2 to practice for the Nurburgring in an 86. Then I drove the real Ring in a rented 86 and PC2 absolutely nailed that combo. PC2's physics are great. (At least in the instances I have been able to compare to RL)

As for how it runs on hardware; I ran it fine on my CV1 Rift, with a 3770k and a 1070. Heck, a friend of mine ran it with a bulldozer 8 "core" something and a 780. She had to turn the settings down to potato, but she could run it in VR smoothly.

My 3800X / 1080ti runs it on my Reverb smoothly too.

And don't get me started on ACC. I have never driven a real GT3 race car, so I won't claim to know how they should handle. I can say that if real GT3 race cars handle the way they do in ACC, I have no interest in driving a real one.

I will concede that PC3 appears to be an arcadey abomination from what I have seen thus far.

Soldato
I have been autocrossing for almost 15 years. The cars in PC2, that I have also driven at the limit in real life, have all matched up well. I even used PC2 to practice for the Nurburgring in an 86. Then I drove the real Ring in a rented 86 and PC2 absolutely nailed that combo. PC2's physics are great. (At least in the instances I have been able to compare to RL)

As for how it runs on hardware; I ran it fine on my CV1 Rift, with a 3770k and a 1070. Heck, a friend of mine ran it with a bulldozer 8 "core" something and a 780. She had to turn the settings down to potato, but she could run it in VR smoothly.

And don't get me started on ACC. I have never driven a real GT3 race car, so I won't claim to know how they should handle. I can say that if real GT3 race cars handle the way they do in ACC, I have no interest in driving a real one.

I will concede that PC3 appears to be an arcadey abomination from what I have seen thus far.

There are far too many who complained about that game about its misbehavior. That I can replicate and confirm. From cars that randomly misbehave in a particular corners to roads conditions that's aren't indicative to racing to odd stuttering issues. And oddball latency issues that won't allow you to attack the corners the same way each lap.

All of which people complained about. All of which I can confirm myself. Some of which are alleviated through oddball car setups per car, per track base on certain weather conditions. Which is a completely unnecessary step. And no, I'm not implying fastest laps. I'm talking about simply getting a lap done. So you don't fool me with your response.

This game was intended to run well on Nvidia GPU's and yet Nvidia users are still having problems running the game.

From my understanding they still use physx for tire deformation and other physic calculations (which imo causes the oddball lost of grip, stutter, latency issues, etc). As their implementation of physx still uses x87 code. Which only confirms how unfinished that game is.

So your post seems to imply that the game only works well with just your particular PC setup (or older) I personally don't believe. When I and others have the most common, unfixed problems with said game. What I do believe is that you aren't bothered by the issues. Some of which you've found work arounds for.

Therefore, to implicate that the game works best on "old hardware" is simply a none starter to this conversation. As it would only suggestion that the intent of PC2 was segregation in the PC community.

Last edited:
Soldato
I never said it works "best" on old equipment. I said it works on old equipment.

There are some physics issues on consoles that may also apply to weaker hardware when paired with higher settings. Those issues are separate from standard graphical stuttering in the OP though. Even on the strongest equipment I own, I can turn up the graphics to a point where it's a stuttery mess. I don't need to buy new equipment to fix such an issue though. I only need to turn down the settings. The different setups I listed were more about illustrating that the title plays smoothly on a *variety* of components. The age of the components was not my point.

Bulldozer, Ivy Bridge, Kepler, Pascal, Zen 2....no stuttering unless you turn up the graphics too high.

And my 3800X is the same "age" as the OP's 3900X anyway.

ACC is having their own issues on consoles too:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...ompetizione-console-launch-issues/ar-BB15XXtL
"We've seen a number of reports come through around performance issues and FPS drops, particularly with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X systems. Again, this is something our team are fully aware of and are looking into."

They may find a way to fix the issues eventually, but there they are...now. Cramming all the complexity of a sim into weaker hardware is apparently difficult in general. (Not just PC2 in particular)

V F

V F

Soldato

For what crazy reason? It used to be a competitor to Assetto Corsa.

Soldato
For what crazy reason? It used to be a competitor to Assetto Corsa.

They seem to think it will appeal to a "wider audience". When I first saw the trailer, I held out hope that they had created an improved driving simulator with an optional "arcade mode". A hardcore sim, that could be dumbed-down and fluffed-up with a few clicks, might have been a revolutionary idea. -A sim that literally offered something for everyone.

But instead, the arcadey features are not optional. We can't have tire wear, we can't overheat the tire's core when drive like idiots, and the tires "transition" according to the weather. There are no pitstops for changing tires and such, so they just went with what one poster referred to as "Michelimpossible" tires.

I am disappoint.

Soldato
ACC is having their own issues on consoles too:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/tech...ompetizione-console-launch-issues/ar-BB15XXtL
"We've seen a number of reports come through around performance issues and FPS drops, particularly with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X systems. Again, this is something our team are fully aware of and are looking into."

They may find a way to fix the issues eventually, but there they are...now. Cramming all the complexity of a sim into weaker hardware is apparently difficult in general. (Not just PC2 in particular)

That is something called a false equivalence. ACC was recently released on this gen consoles. The cap is 30fps for just that reason. And they are working on fixing it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the aforementioned problems that were never fixed in PC2 by SMS. Who sold the rights and was bought out by code masters. Which took the existing game and easily turn it to an arcade racer. That would make Grid look like a sim-arcade in comparison. And no competition to GT:S, Horizon, Forza, etc

Rumor has it that codemaster did it for the licenses. In which they will use in their up coming game in 2021. Which is why they aren't spending a lot of development time actually improving project cars. And they want something that rivals both grand turismo and forza.

As for ACC, the physics are simply superior in every way vs PC2. There is also a sense of speed that ACC has that PC2 failed to accomplish. Even though they added blur effects and that screen shift (were you are pushed back, as the driver, the faster you go. Forgot what they called it.)

PC2
On Nvidia, using default highest setting at 1080p can cause stuttering. Among other problems.

On AMD gpu, using default highest setting at 1080p can cause input latencies. Among other problems.

ACC
I've had none of those issues. And I can take the corners with consistency depend on the normal variables associated with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is something called a false equivalence. ACC was recently released on this gen consoles. The cap is 30fps for just that reason. And they are working on fixing it.

I don't have a time machine to go into the future and see if ACC resolves the issues they are currently having on consoles. I offered the example as proof that cramming the complexity of a sim into weaker hardware is difficult. (Unless you think they screwed this up on purpose.)

As for ACC, the physics are simply superior in every way vs PC2. There is also a sense of speed that ACC has that PC2 failed to accomplish. Even though they added blur effects and that screen shift (were you are pushed back, as the driver, the faster you go. Forget what they called it.)

I'm not sure what your point of reference for how GT3 race cars are supposed to handle is. While I have driven some versions of the exotics that the race cars are based on, I don't know how similar the race cars are to the road cars beyond drivetrain layout. As I said before, I do not like the handling of the GT3 cars in ACC. If ACC's physics are accurate, real GT3 race cars are understeery pigs that require exaggerated trail braking for any semblance of turn-in.

The real 911 GT3 *road car* is one of the first 911's I have enjoyed driving at the limit. (I think the older 911's are sketchy once they go over the limit.)
I *wish* the GT3 cars in ACC handled more like this road car did for me:

Please note: I'm not saying ACC is wrong because I have no way of knowing. I am saying that I simply don't like the way the cars handle in that title.

I have not tried either of the two "speed" features you mentioned in PC2 so I can't comment on those, but the depth perception that comes with VR does great with speed and judging breaking points.

PC2
On Nvidia, using default highest setting at 1080p can cause stuttering. Among other problems.

On AMD gpu, using default highest setting at 1080p can cause input latencies. Among other problems.

ACC
I've had none of those issues.

Okay. Maybe try turning down some of the settings on the Nvidia rig?

Soldato
I don't have a time machine to go into the future and see if ACC resolves the issues they are currently having on consoles. I offered the example as proof that cramming the complexity of a sim into weaker hardware is difficult. (Unless you think they screwed this up on purpose.)
We don't need a time machine. Just look at all the unfinished work left in PC2. So much so that even codemasters don't want to be bothered. So they simply disabled those features to bring you PC3.

Also, SMS claimed to use AVX instruction yet require x87 instruction for tire defamation and some physics. I believe this was a marketing ploy. And would explain a lot of the problems with the game if it is true.

I'm not sure what your point of reference for how GT3 race cars are supposed to handle is. While I have driven some versions of the exotics that the race cars are based on, I don't know how similar the race cars are to the road cars beyond drivetrain layout.
My point of reference is the game itself not real life. My entire conversation to you has been about PC2 coding problems. Which is why there is a disconnect in or conversation about the game. You believe that the game is real to you. I'm pointing out the problems with the game that should have been fixed 1st before we could have that conversation.

Therefore, I make the comparison between PC2 and ACC as a game, not real life.

With the mired of problems with PC2 I find it hard to believe your experience. This could only happen if the afermention issues with the game, you concede to, were fix 1st.

Okay. Maybe try turning down some of the settings on the Nvidia rig?
The point is that on AMD gpu there is no stutter using a monitor. It's still smooth although at a much lower fps. The real issue is the game which I was hinting to. The latency issue isn't limited to just graphics. That's where that oddball car setup comes into play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom