LG 38GN950-B

Associate
I'm in the US, Costco had it $1599.99, after some unrelated mishap, it shipped/arrived in 48 hours. The 38WN95c was from Amazon (and is being returned immediately) and lost in the mail and was told it was going to be returned to sender and it showed up anyway. Typing on the GN950 and it's a beautiful monitor. Coming from a 2560x1600 Dell u3011 (30 inch). The 1600p and height was very important to me and so far so good!

Associate
Ah, you're the guy on Reddit.

Will be awaiting your analysis on the panel.
Ha, I hope that isn't a bad thing :/

Anyway, panel is absolutely gorgeous. The stand however is dogsheeshee. I will be mounting it to my wall so its a moot point in the long term but until that time, the wiggle is terrible!!! Lightly typing makes this thing shake like crazy. The horizontal 'bar' part that goes from the back of the panel mount to the vertical 'bar' is really flimsy with lots of left/right give despite it having no swivel. It's really bad...but that's not that panel, so meh. Looks good in SDR and HDR. Running at 120hz 10bit for desktop use and 144hz 8bit for games.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't care about the stand much either. Good to see your panel is issue free with regard to: vignette, BLB, glow, colour uniformity. I've seen a couple of Reddit posts of people who lost the lottery and it worried me, even if that is par the course. I won't accept faults on a display costing that much!

Do you actually notice a difference with 10bit vs 8bit on desktop? Most of what you'll be doing doesn't even use 10bit colour depth, so does it noticeably improve anything? Also, why not use 160Hz for games?

I'm curious to see the VRR performance for 30/60Hz content like emulators, but I get that's a more niche case for people. I imagine the motion blur performance won't be as good as the panel overdrive will be configured for 144/160Hz and without the GSYNC module we don't have variable overdrive, as far as I understand it.

Associate
OP
HDR on LG 38gn950 HDR 600 10 bit 3840x1600.
SDR
Recorded with my samsung smartphone in pro camera mode with fixed settings and same fixed shutterspeed.
To try and make a fair comparison in how hdr looks.
I didn't think it would make such a big difference.
(also in the SDR mode i have hdr on in iracing for the extra color en lighting dynamics but it doesnt compare to real hdr)
(Here is a direct comparison, in one video but sadly a lot of detail is lost because of my video editing software. better too compare the who originals. but for those who want it here is it in one video)
hope this helps showing off what hdr really does on a hdr screen. i know hdr600 aint perfect until we have per pixel lighting but it still works pretty nice!

+ vignette / backlight bleed test

its way way better then the 34gk950 generation.

Last edited:
Associate
Ill leave it to the pros like Skeijmel to the extensive testing. So far I've just done the eye ball test and it looks great, no flaws jump out at me, which is what you want in the end.

Skeijmel, hows your stand? Do you have the same wiggle issue?

Soldato

Hey, could you test something that was recently discovered?

LG, for some unfathomable reason, locks overdrive to 'Fast' when in sRGB mode. This isn't optimal for 60Hz content, and produces some overshoot. You'd want 'Normal' here, so LG bad.

However, if you open up the service menu (turn off the monitor, then using the joystick, left left left right and turn it on). Then turn on the menu like you normally would and you should be in the service menu.

If so, can you see something called 'OD Test?' It seems that this allows you to configure the overdrive from 0-255 levels (yes, far more than 3 ranges and is technically fully variable overdrive capable, yet LG doesn't bother using it - which is funny, because Nixeus proved you can do variable overdrive over adaptive sync).

If this can be found in the 38GN too it would be great, because you can dial down the overdrive setting to an exact perfect match and works in sRGB mode too, getting around LG's stupid limitations.

You can exit the service menu just by turning the monitor off and on again.

Edit: Turns out it is indeed in the 38GN:

image0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Hey, could you test something that was recently discovered?

LG, for some unfathomable reason, locks overdrive to 'Fast' when in sRGB mode. This isn't optimal for 60Hz content, and produces some overshoot. You'd want 'Normal' here, so LG bad.

However, if you open up the service menu (turn off the monitor, then using the joystick, left left left right and turn it on). Then turn on the menu like you normally would and you should be in the service menu.

If so, can you see something called 'OD Test?' It seems that this allows you to configure the overdrive from 0-255 levels (yes, far more than 3 ranges and is technically fully variable overdrive capable, yet LG doesn't bother using it - which is funny, because Nixeus proved you can do variable overdrive over adaptive sync).

If this can be found in the 38GN too it would be great, because you can dial down the overdrive setting to an exact perfect match and works in sRGB mode too, getting around LG's stupid limitations.
I think Lg doesn't care not because they are distracted, but because in real use the difference between having adaptive overdrive (gsync module) and not having it (compatible gsync) is not really perceptible, much more marketing than real benefit.
I have done dozens of tests and comparisons with gsync and gsync compatible screen in comparison side by side and I really could not notice any differences in the game and believe me, I'm extremely picky.

We are on the same level as those who say they see a difference between 1 ms + or - of response time, perhaps Superman with super vision.

Soldato
I think Lg doesn't care not because they are distracted, but because in real use the difference between having adaptive overdrive (gsync module) and not having it (compatible gsync) is not really perceptible, much more marketing than real benefit.
I have done dozens of tests and comparisons with gsync and gsync compatible screen in comparison side by side and I really could not notice any differences in the game and believe me, I'm extremely picky.

We are on the same level as those who say they see a difference between 1 ms + or - of response time, perhaps Superman with super vision.

The main difference is in lower Hz. Monitors typically have overdrive calibrated for higher Hz, and so things can get a bit nasty down at 30/60Hz, which is where your emulator content and so on would be. This is where a variable overdrive would kick in.

Case in point: the 34GN850 on rtings review has a little overshoot that seems noticeable on 60Hz at 'fast', but looks fine in normal. The problem? sRGB mode locks you to 'Fast'.

At least this mode would allow me to dial in the overdrive perfectly for that usage.

Soldato
The main difference is in lower Hz. Monitors typically have overdrive calibrated for higher Hz, and so things can get a bit nasty down at 30/60Hz, which is where your emulator content and so on would be. This is where a variable overdrive would kick in.

Case in point: the 34GN850 on rtings review has a little overshoot that seems noticeable on 60Hz at 'fast', but looks fine in normal. The problem? sRGB mode locks you to 'Fast'.

At least this mode would allow me to dial in the overdrive perfectly for that usage.

Back up there Tephnos. Please help me to understand what you mean by sRGB mode locks you to fast? What other colour mode is there on the panel so you can default to Normal?

Back
Top Bottom