Draytek Vigor 130 and FTTC SNR setting increased sync

Soldato
What I would like to do is reset the SNR delta value back to default and get the provider to run DLM on the line. What is the default for this value please?

Thanks

I don't have a Vigor 130 but a Vigor 2860n that will be similar.

On the 2860n the command from telnet is

VDSL SNR 0

The above will reset SNR delta to default.

Soldato
Current VDSL SNR Margin is 6 dB.
Current VDSL SNR Margin delta setting is -50.

Thanks in advance,
Brendon

I've just noticed something on your original post, your SNR delta is -50 (minus). This will make your connection less stable.

To make the line more stable you should be setting this to a positive number (+). A positive number will increase your SNR margin and should make the line more stable. Remember however that only the download (near end) SNR margin can be controlled.

But going back to your last post, for now I would set delta to 0 (default) and get your ISP to do another line check.

Soldato
I believe the UDM / UDMP both have Option 61 support now (Beta Firmware).

Looks like the beta 1.7.0 update is for the UDMP and not UDM. A few members on their community boards have installed it on a UDM and it works fine.

Unifi's support aren't forth coming with advising me to do this. To be honest their responses have been pretty poor so far.

My Vigor modem should be here on Friday so might end up just updating it.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Looks like the beta 1.7.0 update is for the UDMP and not UDM. A few members on their community boards have installed it on a UDM and it works fine.

Unifi's support aren't forth coming with advising me to do this. To be honest their responses have been pretty poor so far.

My Vigor modem should be here on Friday so might end up just updating it.

It's beta firmware and to some extend it's try it at your own risk, as I can understand the reasoning from the support side of things. I'd be raising the issues on the UniFi community pages and normally Glen or one of the other UI people on there pick it up on there ask for logs etc...

The Lantiq chipset chip in the Vigor seems pretty good on ECI & Huawei Cabs and has shown good gains over a HG612 but all depends on the varables of the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
I updated my UDM to 1.7.0 RC18. The update was straight forward.

The biggest issue was getting the internet to work. I left the Vigor as factory settings. The UDM WAN port was set to PPPOE with Sky username and password. Option 61 was set. I got no internet until it was changed to DHCP. No idea how this even connects as I haven't supplied my Sky username and password.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
The biggest issue was getting the internet to work. I left the Vigor as factory settings. The UDM WAN port was set to PPPOE with Sky username and password. Option 61 was set. I got no internet until it was changed to DHCP. No idea how this even connects as I haven't supplied my Sky username and password.

I was under the impression Sky didn't use PPPoE, as the authentencation is done by MPoA

It's not double natting is it?

Caporegime
There's some stuff that happens within the Openreach equipment that can tag the traffic coming from each subscriber before it gets handed off to your providers network, this is how e.g. TalkTalk can operate without PPPoE and just have DHCP on the WAN side of their routers. It's also how BT know who's connecting even though every Hub uses the same username.

Soldato
Recently replaced the Huawei modem with this and I'm now seeing higher speeds/lower latency, similar to what I saw with the HH6 from 56 to 64 down and 17 to 20 up (I'm on an ECI cabinet). A quick look and my default SNR is at 5. Not sure if I want to fiddle with it yet as I'm happy with these improvements.

Associate
Recently replaced the Huawei modem with this and I'm now seeing higher speeds/lower latency, similar to what I saw with the HH6 from 56 to 64 down and 17 to 20 up (I'm on an ECI cabinet). A quick look and my default SNR is at 5. Not sure if I want to fiddle with it yet as I'm happy with these improvements.

Hi Orcvader,
I fixed this up before to my setup, did you manage to get any stats from this Modem? I could only get the stats, when I connected my laptop to to the Draytek, and not not when it was connected to the Sky SR203 Hub.

Many Thanks for any Information.
Regards Mike

Soldato
Hi Orcvader,
I fixed this up before to my setup, did you manage to get any stats from this Modem? I could only get the stats, when I connected my laptop to to the Draytek, and not not when it was connected to the Sky SR203 Hub.

Many Thanks for any Information.
Regards Mike

I'm using an Asus router and I'm able to open 192.168.2.1 with the browser completely fine with no extra steps needed. I also used Telnet and did "vdsl status" to receive the full line stats. It will mostly depend if the router will allow access to the modem, which I highly doubt the Sky router will offer.

Soldato
Recently replaced the Huawei modem with this and I'm now seeing higher speeds/lower latency

Lower latency is my experience also, it's because the modem and router are integrated in it's same device.

I'm a software engineer, all the companies i've been involved in use Draytek, I personalty use a Draytek Vigor at home, they are one of the best.

Soldato
Lower latency is my experience also, it's because the modem and router are integrated in it's same device.

I'm a software engineer, all the companies i've been involved in use Draytek, I personalty use a Draytek Vigor at home, they are one of the best.
I'm using the Vigor 130 which is modem only, so have to use a separate router. I originally got the Huawei modem since it was cheap but always noticed it never synced as well as the BT HH6 with the ECI cabinet I'm connected to.

Soldato

Latency difference is low single digit ms and generally imperceivable to humans in the real world. The modems being discussed here all technically add latency as they are not AIO. Draytek make very average routers that are usually specified by people who don’t know better or care, because they figure Draytek=Business. They aren’t specifying them because they are good in any particular area, but because they get LTS and are generally the definition of networking mediocrity.

Soldato
Latency difference is low single digit ms and generally imperceivable to humans in the real world. The modems being discussed here all technically add latency as they are not AIO. Draytek make very average routers that are usually specified by people who don’t know better or care, because they figure Draytek=Business. They aren’t specifying them because they are good in any particular area, but because they get LTS and are generally the definition of networking mediocrity.

I've measured the latency difference between BT modem + Plusnet router, and Draytek alone gives 2ms lower ping by my testing.

So who would you recommend for SME over Vigor?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using an Asus router and I'm able to open 192.168.2.1 with the browser completely fine with no extra steps needed. I also used Telnet and did "vdsl status" to receive the full line stats. It will mostly depend if the router will allow access to the modem, which I highly doubt the Sky router will offer.

Good Evening Orcvader,
Thank you very much for your reply to my query. It was very good of you to get back to me.

Very much appreciated, Mike.

Back
Top Bottom