Road Cycling

Soldato
Got an odd problem. When I try and change at the front from the inner to outer chain ring, I lose cable tension. I've reset the cable tension and tried again same thing happens. I assuming there is something wrong with the shifter. Any ideas on what to check?

Soldato
Yeah I do agree, there is an element of snobbery. For example, my experience when hitting the roads and bumping into people at cafés is sneering from some because my bike "isn't the right brand"... Lol! The problem you have is a lot of rich kids or middle aged successful folk who are used to getting what they want and think nothing of spunking £10k on a Pinarello. You know what though, I just don't care and what's more, I find the snobs are few and far between. The majority of people I meet are friendly and more than forthcoming with their advice if I ask for it, even the rich kids :p

Do you genuinely find that you encounter these "elitists" regularly in person? Or would you say you're finding them online perhaps? Either way, it's quite simple to distance and avoid.
They are very few and far between thankfully, unfortunately they are also very vocal and tend to be the sorts of personalities that, lets just say, dominate the conversation. These are people in person, I don't really pay too much attention to peoples online personas. Having been to in person meets of online groups I know that people are often very different when you meet them away from a keyboard.

Sometimes people do approach me when trying to get into cycling and my main aim is to help them do so. If their budget is £1000 amazing, if it is £400 then I'll explain that there will be compromises but whatever the budget I'll do my best to help people because I genuinely believe cycling is a great activity that anyone should be encouraged into. I do know of two people however who sneer at the idea of riding a bike less than a grand, wearing a pair of shorts that cost less than £100 etc. who do the complete opposite and actively put people off. I think some of the big cycling websites are quite elitist too, which is a shame as many people start off on a £300 Carrera. One guy in our cycling group still rides his Carrera, complete with Shimano Tourney groupset and keeps us all on our toes with his pace!

The flip side thankfully is that most people, no matter what they ride, are very friendly and with no ego or attitude. The people with the really nice bikes that I occasionally cycle with are also the friendliest people I know. They don't turn their nose up at my Pinnacle which is 1/10 the cost of their machine, instead they'll comment about the condition its in.

Soldato
Got an odd problem. When I try and change at the front from the inner to outer chain ring, I lose cable tension. I've reset the cable tension and tried again same thing happens. I assuming there is something wrong with the shifter. Any ideas on what to check?
That is really odd! If it was the other way around I'd have guessed at the cable being siezed in the outer (or guide if internally routed) but going from inner ring to outer is adding tension to the cable, not removing it.

It certainly sounds like there is a problem with the shifter mechanism. Have you pulled the hood back to see if there is anything obviously out of place?

Soldato
Haven't done anything yet. I adjusting the barrel adjuster when out briefly this morning and I tried redoing the tension when I got back. Both times the tension went when I tried shifting. It's a job for this afternoon.

Soldato
Cycling is full of elitist ********* and gatekeepers, most of whom would be better served spending more time riding and less time posing. I take pride in my kit and like riding a nice bike, but it makes me just as happy, if not happier, to see families and “normal people” out on assorted bike shaped objects as it does club riders. I always make sure to give them a wave. There isn’t a right way to ride a bike.

Soldato
Cycling is full of elitist ********* and gatekeepers, most of whom would be better served spending more time riding and less time posing. I take pride in my kit and like riding a nice bike, but it makes me just as happy, if not happier, to see families and “normal people” out on assorted bike shaped objects as it does club riders. I always make sure to give them a wave. There isn’t a right way to ride a bike.
I'll wave and say hi to everyone. It makes me happy seeing obese people out when clearly they never normally did that. Lockdown has had some great effects and hopefully these people catch the bug and stick to it. However, non helmet wearers on the other hand, I'll give them a lazy wave lol.

Soldato
I'll wave and say hi to everyone. It makes me happy seeing obese people out when clearly they never normally did that. Lockdown has had some great effects and hopefully these people catch the bug and stick to it. However, non helmet wearers on the other hand, I'll give them a lazy wave lol.

Why? Does them not wearing a helmet pose a risk to you?

Soldato
Just seems an odd thing to take exception with. Half of the no helmet wearers are barely moving more than jogging pace but I doubt you tut at runners...
If a car travelling at 30mph+ hits a cyclist then it doesn't matter much what speed the cyclist is travelling, a head injury is probably going to cause some serious harm. Then the driver has it on their conscience that they've vegetabled a guy for life and their family has to pick up the pieces. Just like kids playing in the middle of the road, it wouldn't necessarily be a drivers fault if they hit them, but that doesn't mean the driver wants that on their conscience just because they choose to be idiots.

Your joggers point is moot because they're not usually running in and amongst traffic. However, if they were pratting about in the middle of the carriageway then I'd also be taking exception at them.

I just think helmets should be mandatory like seat belts. Why are cyclists an exception for ensuring their own safety when using the highway? Even horse riders must legally wear a helmet up to age 14 on the highway, I don't think I've ever seen an adult without one though.

Bottom line is, if you want to be an idiot, it's nothing to do with me, but accept people will judge. They can retort with "crap Chinese bike" and balance will be restored ;)

...out of interest, what's the concensus on wearing lights at night and sharing the pavements with pedestrians?

Soldato
Conversely
All over the world, countries with the highest use of safety gear are the most dangerous for cyclists. Wherever helmet use has been made compulsory, there has been no corresponding drop in head injury unless there is also a drop in cycling rates.

About 110 people are killed each year while cycling on our roads, almost all of these resulting from a collision with a motor vehicle, where the protection offered by a cycling helmet is negligible.
https://www.chrisboardman.com/blog/index_files/e67d4b8aac0c709c5801ce466bdcd90e-1.html

I always wear a helmet but facts are the facts I guess. :confused:

Soldato
All over the world, countries with the highest use of safety gear are the most dangerous for cyclists.

Surely that's obvious. If they were safe places, you wouldn't need safety gear?! Wearing the safety gear isn't what makes the places dangerous...

Just seems an odd thing to take exception with.

Out of interest, do you not mind cyclist that blast through red lights at full speed either? (I'm not taking sides, just find it an interesting discussion actually)

Had planned a work ride to Spokes (Coldicote) for this morning, glad we did. Looking at the weather, I probably would have stayed home if it was just me, but with it all arranged, off we went! Actually, weather wasn't too bad and it was a lovely ride. We have one guy who doesn't ride much (on his Carrera ;) ) that we had to keep waiting for, which on one hand is a shame, but on the other hand, love he's trying so want to encourage that. Ended up at 52 miles, my longest ride yet.

Soldato
Out of interest, do you not mind cyclist that blast through red lights at full speed either? (I'm not taking sides, just find it an interesting discussion actually)

That’s not even remotely similar to wearing or not wearing a helmet, neither is using lights at night nor riding on the footpath. Those behaviours impact on other road users.

Helmet wearing makes people feel safer but, statistically, there is limited evidence supporting their efficacy. That is clearly not the case for seatbelts.

To the OP, you should look at how helmets are tested to get certificated. They are effective at preventing low speed injuries and falls, whether they help when you get hit by a car is a lottery.

Soldato
Rubbish weather again at the weekend, who'd have thought. Just very light drizzle for a good 2 of the 4 hours i rode this morning. Then came home and thought I'd change my gear cable today as shifting was a bit ropey, but something not right with the outer somewhere along the long section to the rear derailleur, tried chopping the ends but to no avail. Had to order a new load of outer. Will have to use the posh CX bike tomorrow. Got to replace a spoke on the winter bike and stil trying to find a new summer bike. Having more bikes is actually worse as I just end up leaving them if I don't need them and then get annoyed when they aren't able to be used when I really need them!

Soldato
Helmets help in a specific kind of accident, where your head meets a hard surface, probably as the first point of impact.

Across all kinds of riding I wear a helmet if I'm *cycling*. If I'm popping to the shops or a pub I tend not to.

23 years of cycling in many styles and a helmet has saved me once - front tucked under mountain biking, I supermanned and landed on my forehead.

Soldato
That’s not even remotely similar to wearing or not wearing a helmet, neither is using lights at night nor riding on the footpath. Those behaviours impact on other road users.

Helmet wearing makes people feel safer but, statistically, there is limited evidence supporting their efficacy. That is clearly not the case for seatbelts.

To the OP, you should look at how helmets are tested to get certificated. They are effective at preventing low speed injuries and falls, whether they help when you get hit by a car is a lottery.
So helmets do reduce your chance of injury, like a seat belt. I also wear bike lights in Lowlight conditions to alert others to my presence so they don't collide with me and cause me injury, so for protection then, just like a helmet or seat belts, or any other measure of personal protection. It's not like we wear lights to prevent someone damaging their car when they hit us :D

I think it's just an attitude thing, I imagine this was the same view by road users before seatbelts were made a legal requirement "it's my choice if I wear a belt, I'm not a risk to anyone else but myself when I don't wear one"

Soldato

I'm guessing it does bother you then? Even if your not the one effected by it? I was wondering if it was an image thing you see. Someone running a red light at speed doesn't affect me, but it puts cyclists in a bad light and gives us a bad name. I wondered the same about those without helmets?

Helmet wearing makes people feel safer but, statistically, there is limited evidence supporting their efficacy.
They are effective at preventing low speed injuries and falls

Which are you going with? ;)

Again, I was just hoping for an interesting discussion... not particularly taking sides are looking to argue :)

Back
Top Bottom