BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Some coolant systems are notoriously difficult to bleed. Air trapped in the system from when it was filled at the factory slowly works it's way out resulting in the coolant level dropping and needing topped up. It can be normal for new cars to need a small top up after a few months.

Soldato
Not your usual post in here but I posted this back in February after it had been stripped and had new panels fitted. It's a non-road legal E46 M3 :)

bmw-1.jpg

Picking it up on Monday ready for a track day on Friday, looks a little different!

bmw-2.jpg

bmw-3.jpg

3.jpg

e82ac3a9-02f1-4f93-9c49-82bdf18bfeb0.jpg

bmw-4.jpg

Only thing left to do is to fit new suspension, geo/align and then corner weigh it. Aiming for around 1150kg which is over 200kg lighter than my last M3 and 400kg lighter than stock.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Any E60 M5 owners here, past or present?
Want a bigger comfier car and of course I want something powerful and noisy, the M5 has always being a car I wanted to tick off as to speak and I am aware to look for one ideally with clutch, actuators replaced etc. and maybe rod bearings.

But more interested in peoples ownership, I may also consider an estate version also, just always loved the M5 for that V10, not interested in newer better models, other stuff I may consider is a V8 RS4, C63 AMG etc, but the M5 is always a car I wished to own.

Associate
Not your usual post in here but I posted this back in February after it had been stripped and had new panels fitted. It's a non-road legal E46 M3
Picking it up on Monday ready for a track day on Friday, looks a little different!

Good to see VBOX HD2 in there, connected up for CAN data too it looks like?

Soldato
Good to see VBOX HD2 in there, connected up for CAN data too it looks like?

Yeah the AIM MXG is pulling from CAN then sending it to Vbox, you get more data that way. The AIM is also doing timing (as well as the Vbox) but I’m not sure whether to use it or fit an OLED Vbox display I have. It’d be nice having it on the dash but not sure how good it is compared to the Vbox.

Associate
Yeah the AIM MXG is pulling from CAN then sending it to Vbox, you get more data that way. The AIM is also doing timing (as well as the Vbox) but I’m not sure whether to use it or fit an OLED Vbox display I have. It’d be nice having it on the dash but not sure how good it is compared to the Vbox.

The AIM CAN setup is good yes, handy to have the ability to pick it up on the Vbox.
Don't know what the AIM timing is like but the Vbox one works well, predictive functionality is useful, and it gives the ability to select track layouts on the Vbox too (although you can also do that via the phone app)

Do like the AiM dashboards though, and their whole ecosystem

Soldato
Hi there

Want a bigger comfier car and of course I want something powerful and noisy, the M5 has always being a car I wanted to tick off as to speak and I am aware to look for one ideally with clutch, actuators replaced etc. and maybe rod bearings.

But more interested in peoples ownership, I may also consider an estate version also, just always loved the M5 for that V10, not interested in newer better models, other stuff I may consider is a V8 RS4, C63 AMG etc, but the M5 is always a car I wished to own.

loved the engine, and still makes me tempted every now and again. Didn't mind the gearbox at the time, but having driven much better autos and DCT's since I think it would be an annoyance now.

OcUK Staff
loved the engine, and still makes me tempted every now and again. Didn't mind the gearbox at the time, but having driven much better autos and DCT's since I think it would be an annoyance now.

Am I right in assuming the gearbox probably functions and annoys the same as SMG2 does in the E46 M3, the only main real difference being is a seven gear? If so SMG really never bothered me that much but you do have to learn to drive around it which is what makes it bad whereas a good ZF auto or DCT simply works and requires little to no learning.

Caporegime
Hi there

Weren’t you thinking of one of these a while back?

As far as automotive box ticking , the V10 is one hell of a box to tick, you know the score with these things ie not if but when it’ll break etc but, I dare say you of all people find a good one (eventually!) will look after it properly and if you keep it long term it’ll only go one way in value - especially an e61.

Never owned one nor am ever likely to but know a few people who have owned them, they all say the same thing, epic engine, let down by being relatively fragile and not cheap to run and maintain properly by any stretch - you already know this so I’ll look forward to you eventually scratching that itch! :D

OcUK Staff
Weren’t you thinking of one of these a while back?

As far as automotive box ticking , the V10 is one hell of a box to tick, you know the score with these things ie not if but when it’ll break etc but, I dare say you of all people find a good one (eventually!) will look after it properly and if you keep it long term it’ll only go one way in value - especially an e61.

Never owned one nor am ever likely to but know a few people who have owned them, they all say the same thing, epic engine, let down by being relatively fragile and not cheap to run and maintain properly by any stretch - you already know this so I’ll look forward to you eventually scratching that itch! :D

Yeah found a car potentially, had rod bearings done as pretentive maintenance, new vanos and has had new fuel lines, pump charcoal canister also, seems a pampered car as still on the original clutch at 83k with no signs of slipping which I think is a first out of all cars I have looked at. I want one ideally in blue with silverstone interior or grey with black interior and they seem far and few on ground that seem to have been looked after. Most the good ones are in Silverstone blue and its just a colour that don't really work for me, even though supposedly it was an exclusive M5 colour.

Soldato
Agree with silverstone blue exterior, thought I would like it but wasn't such a fan when seeing it in person. Mine had the clutch die at sub 10k miles from memory, it was an 05 plate, and they fitted a 'revised' part when repairing it, so guessing they had a clutch revision early on.

been a while since I have driven SMG2 box, but i guess so, about the same.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Put a deposit down on this today, condition was spotless and no sign of oil leaks from engine gearbox or diff and car drove superbly.

The owner makes carbon fibre so the whole interior and engine bay is done in real carbon fibre which looks very smart, also includes all original brushes silver trim too. Car is totally stock.

E7441196-76BB-4833-A750-1CC4D68EE3D5.jpeg 28082347-6B50-4348-B738-AC055C0B4F97.jpeg 98948E6D-6BBD-4629-B863-BD1518AF34CD.jpeg 805E219D-CC15-42D5-BD9D-998150DB31FE.jpeg 92576B1A-B44E-4B1E-815B-ECA5225D6C60.jpeg 6133319E-AB88-40C5-8FAB-543062E32260.jpeg

not overly keen on black wheels but they work well with car but will no doubt change them back to stock silver colour at some point.

Car has had rod bearings, actuators, fuel lines, vanos all done as preventative maintenance. Plus new alternator and battery, full service history and has never had a clutch which is very rare as it has 84k miles but also a sign of a more gentler life.

Had new continental tyres, new brake disc, pads, fluid all within last 2000 miles also so has no need for consumables.

Not the cheapest but the condition really won it for me as super clean so paid 13k. :)

Also love the lower front and side splitters and everything works as it should including the hugging seats that grip you as you corner. For such a big car once your behind the wheel and driving the car just shrinks around you and no longer feels big and it does not feel it’s two tonne weight either.

Back
Top Bottom