LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Soldato
Got my C9 65” turning up on Thursday. :cool:

Anyone else using a 2080Ti and Gsync? Just wondered what to expect as I’ve made a conscious effort over the years to avoid Gsync and Freesync monitors as I mostly game on TV’s with a controller.

I’ve a feeling it’s going to be flipping fantastic and haven’t been this excited over a gadget for a very long time.

Roll on Ampere and hopefully HDMI 2.1 too.

If it’s your first ever OLED be prepared for a shock is all I can say. They look phenomenal and the first time is insane you won’t look at a display the same way again.

Im using a 2080Ti on my 8 series 55” although it doesn’t have VRR. I just set it up to a constant 60fps so it’s something I haven’t been overly bothered about. Not enough to warrant me upgrading just yet. Be looking to get a 11 or 12 series most likely.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Yep, first OLED and first GSync, looking forward to it.

Got SW Fallen Order and AC Origins that I’ve put off playing until it turns up.

Soldato
If it’s your first ever OLED be prepared for a shock is all I can say. They look phenomenal and the first time is insane you won’t look at a display the same way again.

Im using a 2080Ti on my 8 series 55” although it doesn’t have VRR. I just set it up to a constant 60fps so it’s something I haven’t been overly bothered about. Not enough to warrant me upgrading just yet. Be looking to get a 11 or 12 series most likely.

60Hz on an OLED is such a good experience compared to 60hz on a TN/IPS/VA panel. If I hadn't have tried it myself I'd have called BS, but it's absolutely true. Mind blowing.

Ofc looking forward to get 4k 120Hz with next gen cards in a few months, but until then it's hardly scrimping it at 4k 60 :D

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I cant use my 55c9 @ 4k 60hz is paniful to watch, even on the desktop the lag is just too much.

:eek: Don’t say that! Most reports I’ve read say the opposite. Having spent the last 6-7 years gaming on TV’s I’m hoping that’s not something I experience when mine turns up this week.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
:eek: Don’t say that! Most reports I’ve read say the opposite. Having spent the last 6-7 years gaming on TV’s I’m hoping that’s not something I experience when mine turns up this week.
I think it depends on the individual. I am using a 60hz 4K monitor right now. Nothing painful about it.

Associate
Got my C9 65” turning up on Thursday. :cool:

Anyone else using a 2080Ti and Gsync? Just wondered what to expect as I’ve made a conscious effort over the years to avoid Gsync and Freesync monitors as I mostly game on TV’s with a controller.

I’ve a feeling it’s going to be flipping fantastic and haven’t been this excited over a gadget for a very long time.

Roll on Ampere and hopefully HDMI 2.1 too.

Nice, where from? I swear these things are like gold-dust now that the new 2020 range is out

Associate
I think it depends on the individual. I am using a 60hz 4K monitor right now. Nothing painful about it.

The hotkey resolution changer I have1440p@120 and 2160p@60 set up, whenever i wanna see 4k i swap back to 1440p@120 in minutes, it`s just way smoother, but if you dont have the 4k60 to compare to anything, or if you are used to 60hz for years I bet you will be fine, I personally cant handle it even the mouse is lagging on desktop. 4k is definately sharper and lovely so I cant wait for the new cards to take full use of the C9.

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Nice, where from? I swear these things are like gold-dust now that the new 2020 range is out

John Lewis along with the burn-in insurance as I’m paranoid as hell.

Still had stock last time I looked but the prices crept back up over the past couple of months.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Me neither TBH but as they’ve stopped manufacturing them it’s either that or the almost identical but more costly CX models.

It was the additional insurance that swung it for me. I’d say you can’t put a price on peace of mind but JL have for £140 for 5 years.

Soldato
65? Showing in stock at JL but can’t get my head around that price

C9's will hold their price as the CX range removed the DTS hardware decoding. This is a big deal for those playing back MKV's of ripped movies, as it means you need another playback device besides the TV. The CX's also lack the Freeview apps.

CX's do have slightly better picture quality, newer panel etc, but the features it lost over the C9 range matter more for some. If anything the C9 range will increase in price for the few remaining units.

Soldato
OP
I'd definitely edge still towards the CX. Better motion and image quality, coupled with one more years of LG support, the newer panel, freesync premium and the ability to do 4:2:0 4k/120hz over HDMI 2.0b. Its the extra years worth of support which I think is quite important.

C9 is great as it has DTS and the 12-bit capable HDMI ports. But lets be honest, DTS is making those people who pirate films, download MKVs, put them on a USB stick and cry. Most video-philes or home theatre enthusiasts will have an AVR and if you have a half decent PC, which all of us on this forum do, we'll use MPC + MADVR to further refine and improve PQ of our content and not use the player.

If both were the same price, I'd personally still recommend the better motion and PQ of the CX.

I think the fact they're holding their value slightly is annoying for those who normally time the market for buying TVs. I for example was hoping to grab a 77'' LG OLED C9 for £3500.. but it never came anywhere near down to that price. It actually finished this year at £4999 and I think £4599 at Costco for a short time period (without burn in warranty).

FYI I own both.

Soldato
OP
Me neither TBH but as they’ve stopped manufacturing them it’s either that or the almost identical but more costly CX models.

It was the additional insurance that swung it for me. I’d say you can’t put a price on peace of mind but JL have for £140 for 5 years.

Great choice. I think for PC gamers like us, JL are the only choice for LG OLEDs.

For the first time ever, we can actually have a wallpaper on our OLED TVs now.

Soldato
OP
Yep, first OLED and first GSync, looking forward to it.

Got SW Fallen Order and AC Origins that I’ve put off playing until it turns up.

You're just going to be shocked that you had an LCD for this long.

Its like leaping forwards 10 generations.

Associate
Yup. every PC monitor looks like a piece of trash now.
I still do like the 32:9 aspect ratio though. If they ever do an OLED of that.. wow...
I had to quit desk gaming because of OLED.

Hi there, sorry for seeing your post now first!

Had frikking terrible bad luck with my Tv's. Yesterday I received my 3'rd - yeah my third C9.This is going out of hands ..LOL!

I write earlier, the first one had horizontal lines over the whole picture. And the second one had nasty g-sync flashing in games - where it is dark. Even in dark areas is movies it was this pulsating flash.

So I set up the new one yesterday and fired up the game - Blair Witch. And guess what. Frikking POS is on the new one to - flashing/flicker. Call me Not To Happy right now. I tried everything I could find about this issues. Seems many have it. New HDMI cable etc. Oh the flashing is gone if Disabling VRR (g-sync)

Other then that, yeah I cant look at an LCD ever again. My Sony XE9005 looks like total trash vs the C9. It's totaly insane what a picture it has. Once OLED, allways OLED!
Well now if I can get rid of that flicker all is well :)

Associate
60Hz on an OLED is such a good experience compared to 60hz on a TN/IPS/VA panel. If I hadn't have tried it myself I'd have called BS, but it's absolutely true. Mind blowing.

Ofc looking forward to get 4k 120Hz with next gen cards in a few months, but until then it's hardly scrimping it at 4k 60 :D

Totaly agree, a word of difference. 60 fps looks more like 80-90 fps on my PG279Q. Fantastic really :)
First time OLED owner and I never will look at LCD again!

Annyway as my post before this. Terrbible luck with my OLED's tho.
G-sync flashing/flicker. Have you notice that in dark areas in games?

When I disable g-sync = no flashing. Dont know what more I can do really. Tried most I could find about this issue. And yes I even tested a new C9- got it yeasterday!

Back
Top Bottom