Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
You also need to turn trr.network.mode to 3 instead of 2.

This means the firefox will no longer fall back to the windows DNS resolver if the DNSSEC query fails.

Hmm. I haven't done that. But I do have cloudflare DNS set on my local network adapter.

I tested this yesterday when I reset up my pc. With no cloudflare DNS on local adapter but everything else in place dnssec also remained red.

Soldato
Firefox has updated to v78.0.1 and I'm already cheesed off with it straight after updating. :mad:

I had browser.urlbar.maxRichResults set to 15 so I was shown a fair amount of lines when I clicked on the address bar. Although this value hasn't changed in v78.0.1, I am now only shown about 7 lines underneath the address bar. I've tried changing to different values with no change. :mad:

If anybody knows how to increase the amount of lines shown below the address bar in the pop-out dropdown list when you click the address bar, I'd be grateful.

Thanks Mozilla. :(

Soldato
At least they added the option to remove top sites from the megabar ( @marc2003 this should also hide those suggestions):

pBv0TZh.png

Now I'm hoping this gets pushed up and then I'll be fine with the "megabar". Currently using a userchrome.css to remove the expansion.

Still, I don't see how this will prompt the normal everyday user to use the URL bar more...

Another weird thing was after updating to 78.0.1, my homepage was suddenly showing Pocket recommendations. Turned it off in settings but checking settings just now to get above screenshot, the Pocket option is suddenly gone...

EDIT: So Pocket recommendations was added to 78 for all UK users. Tested with a blank profile, and disabling the Pocket option and then restarting Firefox does indeed remove the setting forever, meaning you can't enable it again. Not that I have any plans to enable it...

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
If you like having Top Sites but not that stupid Amazon search suggestion, go to "One-Click Search Engines" under Search in options and remove the Amazon entry. That gets rid of it.

Soldato
Is anyone else having FF crash - When it's crashed I get OPPs FF crashed would you like to go back so click yes and I am back on the page it crashed from.

I have read the release of 78.0.1 and it did mention it crashing - All this is over my head so I just poke and hope.

I have ran memory tests and system tests which come out clear.

Caporegime
Well ive just started getting a weird prob, when i went into the mobo forum, Gigabyte Aorus Master owners thread, when i clicked on the last page number under the title (5), all of a sudden, Firefox went crazy, the page kept refreshing, was flashing white, and was saying failed to load article, closed down, reopened and tried again, same thing, then it started happening in other threads of the forums, and different threads in different forums. :confused:

EDIT:

Closed and reopened after a bit, all seems fine at the mo, will do more testing, then attempt the number 5 under that thread again, see if its that thats triggering it, as its that what kicked it all off.

EDIT:

Nope, its fine as well now, weird.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a link which summarise benefits of dnssec, (I had to check) but ISP's still know what you are accessing
https://www.zdnet.com/article/dns-over-https-causes-more-problems-than-it-solves-experts-say/

I'm not debating the validity of the article as the author knows more than me on the subject. But one thing I will say is do they really? (ISP's know what you are accessing) Because when FireFox announced support for this technology there was a massive uproar from ISP's culminating with Firefox winning the 'Internet villain' of the year prize.

So exactly which part of the exchange can the ISP's see?

They cant see the DNS queries as they are encrypted and not using ISP DNS servers. Deep packet inspection will not get much back as the bits on the wire are encrypted.

That article seems muddled. Some are saying it's fake privacy whilst at the same time given an argument to the contrary.

At the end of the day I put my trust in this. Essentially it tells me no one listening on the wire can see my DNS queries.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not debating the validity of the article as the author knows more than me on the subject. But one thing I will say is do they really? (ISP's know what you are accessing) Because when FireFox announced support for this technology there was a massive uproar from ISP's culminating with Firefox winning the 'Internet villain' of the year prize.

So exactly which part of the exchange can the ISP's see?

They cant see the DNS queries as they are encrypted and not using ISP DNS servers. Deep packet inspection will not get much back as the bits on the wire are encrypted.

That article seems muddled. Some are saying it's fake privacy whilst at the same time given an argument to the contrary.

At the end of the day I put my trust in this. Essentially it tells me no one listening on the wire can see my DNS queries.

Your ISP can always see the IP address of the server you are connecting to at a minimum. This could either tell them exactly what domain you are looking at, but not the exact content, or narrow it down to a relatively small number of websites depending on how many sites the server is hosting. In theory if you have ESNI on, and the server supports it, they shouldn't be able to narrow down which website you connected to if the server hosts many sites.

They seem to be arguing for DNS over TLS because you can tell someone is using it, rather than DOH which appears as any other https traffic. I can't see any argument for DNS over TLS except that it's much easier to block for enterprise networks. Privacy wise dns over https seems to be the better option. The legitimate site blocks being bypassed doesn't hold much water for me, given it's pretty trivial to do with a VPN anyway.

Back
Top Bottom