• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you buy AMD or Nvidia when next gen GPUs are available?

Soldato
I'm leaning towards AMD tbh, I've always brought AMD / ATI cards, the sole reason being they were what I could afford. Actually might've had a Nvidia card 10-15 years ago, but can't remember the model.

Also, if I'm happy with 50-60 FPS, is there any reason to be concerned about technologies like Free Sync or G-Sync? Don't they basically just allow monitors to have refresh rate over 60 hertz, and therefore display higher FPS?

Maybe useful for competitive play / Esports.

I used Free Sync on my 4K monitor (display port) in the past and didn't notice much difference, and it just caused resolution problems in some gamies like Civ 6.
That's not how it works, the tech works below you monitors refresh rate. Over is when v-sync works, if you have that enable as well. For example, it allows me to avoid tearing and whatever else between my monitors 48 - 165 range, i'm always within those ranges.

I'm sure someone knows way more than I do, but just google AMD freesync. Wouldn't recommend a monitor without it or G-sync, probably not so helpful for 60fps monitors.

Soldato
OP
Well anyway, screen tearing can only happen when the GPU renders more FPS than the monitor can display, so if you buy a monitor with 120 hz or above, I think any screen tearing would be negligible on 99% of PCs, especially at high resolutions.

"between my monitors 48 - 165 range" Do you mean that monitors can't operate at a constant refresh rate like 120hz?

Soldato
Well anyway, screen tearing can only happen when the GPU renders more FPS than the monitor can display, so if you buy a monitor with 120 hz or above, I think any screen tearing would be negligible on 99% of PCs, especially at high resolutions.

"between my monitors 48 - 165 range" Do you mean that monitors can't operate at a constant refresh rate like 120hz?
Tearing can happen below as well, the frame rate range is the freesync range of my monitor. I tested with odyssey last night, turning off freesync caused screen tearing, probably because I was operating around half my native refresh rate.

Vsync above
Freesync/gsync below.

Associate
Currently using a 1080 but I'll be jumping back onboard with AMD assuming they get things right this time. Can't stand nVidia as a company.

Associate
I'll also be getting another nvidia card most likely. I'll keep am open mind to AMD cards, but likely won't be taking that chance of day (or year) 1 driver issues. If the performance and price is leaps better then I'd possibly take a chance, but it would have to be similar performance but at least 30% cheaper. Unreasonable? Probably, but they've not inspired much trust.

Associate
I'll also be getting another nvidia card most likely. I'll keep am open mind to AMD cards, but likely won't be taking that chance of day (or year) 1 driver issues. If the performance and price is leaps better then I'd possibly take a chance, but it would have to be similar performance but at least 30% cheaper. Unreasonable? Probably, but they've not inspired much trust.
AMD Gpu division considers themselves premium now, so at best we'll get similar performance with a 5-10% discount much like the 5700XT.

Associate
AMD Gpu division considers themselves premium now, so at best we'll get similar performance with a 5-10% discount much like the 5700XT.

This is where they lose customers like me, I don't get a lot of gaming time, so the risk of having to mess around with drivers or waiting for issues to be fixed would only be considered if the raw performance was there and value. I was purely looking at 5700xt cards before I ended up with a 2070s. For all the issues with drivers it felt more sensible paying 15-20% more for nvidia at the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently have a 5700xt so would likely go big navi at some point.
However it depends on the price/value (or bang for your buck) they are, I dont really have brand loyalty and will go for whichever is best for the money.

Associate
Yep, AMD have to deliver at a decent price. Fury X, way crapper than 980ti and same price or more expensive with sweet FA RAM (i.e.2GB less 'wonder' HBM) won't cut it. AMD Need to think 9700Pro/9800 Pro/5870 as examples of how to play it if they want traction in the market. If 5700XT was £350-380 they would be doing it right.
They haven't delivered as they should in the GPU marketplace for over five years, they have to do what the CPU division did. Otherwise given a choice most people will pay the same or more for Nvidia at the same performance level. Same performance at 15% less or 10% less performance at 20-25% less in price is the way to go. Build mindshare, go from there.

Soldato
Nvidia more than likely, i get far less driver issues with them than i do with AMD side of things unless things dramatically change from now till release date which is unlikely.

Soldato
This is where they lose customers like me, I don't get a lot of gaming time, so the risk of having to mess around with drivers or waiting for issues to be fixed would only be considered if the raw performance was there and value. I was purely looking at 5700xt cards before I ended up with a 2070s. For all the issues with drivers it felt more sensible paying 15-20% more for nvidia at the time.

Yeh, I recently specced a pre-built system for my brother, and as he has zero IT/PC knowledge and no interest in learning it, I specced a 2070S for the same reason.

Didn't want him to have the potential hassle with AMD's current drivers.

Back
Top Bottom