Spec me a set of Saucepans

Soldato
I'm in receipt of a £500 John Lewis voucher, of which I'm happy to spend the majority of it on new cookware for the house to replace the cheap ones we currently have.

I've done this slightly backwards and actually been to JL, had a browse then bought a set of Green Pan Venice Pro ceramic pans. However, I've not opened them yet as there's a few features I've noticed that bug me
  • No steam vents in the lid
  • Metal handles to lids
  • Seem to have been replaced by GreenPan with a new version which looks better (and cheaper)
Has anyone got any recommendations for a 3 pan set, a frying pan and a wok with lid?

Associate
If you're looking to upgrade to high quality cookware you can't go wrong with All-Clad. It will last well beyond your lifetime.

You can use it on the stovetop or in the oven, including under the broiler. It will work with any heat source, gas, electric or induction.

They do make woks but I don't think they're carbon steel which is traditional.

Soldato
there's recent thread - richdogs, discussing merits of All/Multi-clad, I think he purchased from Amazon though, not JL.
Le creuset have a not-cheaper/inferior chinese made version.

Associate
Le creuset have a not-cheaper/inferior chinese made version.

There is no question that Le Creuset is a superior, high-end brand. But, when it comes to skillets/saute pans I would suggest something that is not enamel coated cast iron. Skillets can take a beating compared to some other cooking vessels. Even with their high quality the skillets can, and will, eventually chip. This will result in a 'rust problem' for the underlying cast iron.

Using a tri-ply stainless steel this is never an issue.

@Furton : If you find that All-Clad is out of your price range, or not to your liking I would suggest 'Fleischer and Wolf' tri-ply cookware. Significantly less expensive than All-Clad but still a decent quality. YMMV.

Soldato
[
There is noevery question that Le Creuset is a superior,
also
https://www.centurylife.org/is-all-...s-it-cost-so-much-what-are-some-alternatives/
if you have a good pan it can distribute that heat better, to a larger pan area, and avoid scorching
Other Tri-Ply Stainless Brands:

There are many other brands of tri-ply stainless–too many to list here. After All-Clad Stainless patents expired, seemingly every cookware company in the world contracted with some Chinese factory to crank out All-Clad Stainless knockoffs. Le Creuset for instance, has Le Creuset All-Clad knockoffs
ir
made in China (recently changed to Portugal), apparently trying to parlay Le Creuset’s good reputation for enameled cast iron dutch ovens into sales of overpriced tri-ply. What’s the point of buying Le Creuset’s tri-ply if they are going to charge you almost as much All-Clad and not even make it in USA or France? And if you are okay with Chinese tri-ply, you could get Cuisinart MCP, which performs just as well, for much less money.
]

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ookware-pots-and-pans-etc-set.18869775/page-2

Associate

I have no idea what you're trying to say so here's a picture of a rabbit with a pancake on its head:

rabbit.jpg

Posting some quotes without proper context or comment isn't really helpful.

Have you found a review that suggests All-Clad and Le Creuset aren't worth the money or that there are cheaper alternatives that work just as well? If so, I will gladly show you reviews that say the opposite.

There's a reason they're both still premium brands. Are there other brands that will do a decent job? Sure, and I suggested one upstream.

Do you disagree with my contention that enamel coated skillets are not the best choice?

So, exactly what is your point?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Sweet jesus 200 quid a pot nearly for la creuset! I bought Procook recently, It rusted instantly and the same sort of pots and tri ply pans are £45 there and £180 odd on la creuset. I think after this heads up once the procook starts to go i will buy the la creuset pot for soup, One for potatoea and one of thier roasters as well.

I actually like the enamel protecting the iron, As i dont want to have to see it rust but id babysit them at that price. Wooden spoons only! :p

Soldato
I begrudge spending £20 on a frying pan... but I suppose that's why I have to buy a new one every few years!

Your mistake is buying non-stick pans. Just get some De Buyer or something and get used to cooking on steel...

I'm convinced non-stick pans are only a thing so manufacturers can keep selling more because they wear out.

Associate
Sweet jesus 200 quid a pot nearly for la creuset! I bought Procook recently, It rusted instantly and the same sort of pots and tri ply pans are £45 there and £180 odd on la creuset. I think after this heads up once the procook starts to go i will buy the la creuset pot for soup, One for potatoea and one of thier roasters as well.

I actually like the enamel protecting the iron, As i dont want to have to see it rust but id babysit them at that price. Wooden spoons only! :p

Any exosed cast iron / carbon steel will rust if left wet. You just need to care for them a little differently and they will literally outlive you.

Soldato
Your mistake is buying non-stick pans. Just get some De Buyer or something and get used to cooking on steel...

I'm convinced non-stick pans are only a thing so manufacturers can keep selling more because they wear out.

In addition, they typically use Teflon, which is a carcinogen.

The following is used in the manufacturing of Teflon:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfluorooctanoic_acid

Soldato
Lots of things that we are exposed to on a daily basis are carcinogens. If you're going to scaremonger, post links to articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals that examine any potential harm from PTFE in cooking surfaces.

They are just a scam to sell new pans to people :p but I haven't seen any compelling evidence they are dangerous...I did have a proper search a few years ago.

Associate
Sweet jesus 200 quid a pot nearly for la creuset! I bought Procook recently, It rusted instantly and the same sort of pots and tri ply pans are £45 there and £180 odd on la creuset.
That's nothing, an Ondine pot usually starts around £300 and can go up to £500. Matfer Bourgeat are more affordable than La Creuset, but really solid performers, hard to get in the UK though.

Back
Top Bottom