**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
Exactly.

I run Michelin Primacy 3 in the summer and Continental WinterContact TS860 in winter on the mini and honestly I think the only time the winter tyres have been genuinely useful are when we've gone out of our way to find some snow.

If it wasn't for the fact the winter wheels help keep the summer ones pristine it would be hard to justify the effort of swapping them over.

We just don't have the climate for them in most parts of England I don't think.

Underboss
as I've said previously somewhere,I need a better winter tyre for the winter months aa I work early hours in the morning and all over xmas etc, I need the car daily, I hate using summer tyres when the temp drops, cross climates gives my confidence , not just in winter but summer too

mjt

mjt

Soldato
All weather tyres are the worst of both worlds in my experience. Rubbish handling when it's hot, average at best in the wet and acceptable in the snow. Get 2 sets of wheels with summers and winters.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Cross climates are the only all season tyre based on a summer tyre, that's why I get these, there are plenty of real reviews for these tyres
Fair enough. The Contis are the best in the business and I haven’t tried them but I’ll stick to my 2 sets. Totally pointless given the mild winters of late, mind!

Man of Honour
All weather tyres are the worst of both worlds in my experience. Rubbish handling when it's hot, average at best in the wet and acceptable in the snow. Get 2 sets of wheels with summers and winters.

Probably a bit different circumstances (more suited to larger SUVs and pickups, etc.) but I've found Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (now AT+ but I don't have experience of those) good but yeah generally those kind of tyres end up meh at everything.

Last edited:
Soldato

I disagree. I've had experience with many UHP summer tyres. Your Eagle F1's, PS4's and then others, such as RainSports, BlueResponse just to mix it up. Even some Maxxis at some point too. And I've yet to be disappointed with the newer All season tyres (i.e for me, the Quatrac Pro's). I'm not racing the car, on the track so i'd imagine there'd be a difference there. But for everyday driving absolutely no problems. And I've used them in the 27ºC temps we had recently. I think unless you have tried them, people base their opinions on what the older All seasons were like, which were very "meh". The newer iterations of late do seem to be more commendable than of old. Certainly wouldn't say they are rubbish.

Underboss
somebody who agrees with me

its odd that just recently since ive brought it up, you guys have started slating it, but yet in the past was the opposite, i dont quite understand that

ive had my All Season Tyres nearly a year, ive used them in 35C temps down to -5C temps

mjt

mjt

Soldato
somebody who agrees with me

its odd that just recently since ive brought it up, you guys have started slating it, but yet in the past was the opposite, i dont quite understand that

ive had my All Season Tyres nearly a year, ive used them in 35C temps down to -5C temps
I've always used 2 sets of tyres and never spoken highly of all season tyres!
The Goodyear Vectors I had on my 150bhp Golf were ***** and I stand by that. CrossClimates may be significantly better, but nothing beats have 2 sets if have space for storage.

Having said that, tyre manufacturers really have upped their game in the last few years. Apparently Goodyear seem to have caught up Michelin when it comes to tyre wear, etc.

Soldato
I think the view has been consistent from the start personally.
I would agree, it's just that there are two consistently polarised views on here and it depends who is posting at the time as to which view is more noticeable.

View 1 - winters are probably a waste of time for most people, a decent set of summers is more than good enough unless you get actual snow

View 2 - winters are an absolute necessity because summer tyres turn to teflon under 7C and are a complete liability

Caporegime
I would agree, it's just that there are two consistently polarised views on here and it depends who is posting at the time as to which view is more noticeable.

View 1 - winters are probably a waste of time for most people, a decent set of summers is more than good enough unless you get actual snow

View 2 - winters are an absolute necessity because summer tyres turn to teflon under 7C and are a complete liability

View 3 - I do get snow but have never even considered all-season or even Winter tyres. We do get snow, sometimes quite a lot and I've never been stuck. Always had FWD cars except my very first one 24 years ago!

Soldato
I've never been stuck in snow either with summers on, but no control what so ever, I hate the lack of confidence

I'd rather risk it for the couple of days we may actually get snow than drive around on what are at best average tyres for the rest of the year. I mean, let's face it, it's not like we've been getting very much snow over the past few winters anyway.

Caporegime
I'd rather risk it for the couple of days we may actually get snow than drive around on what are at best average tyres for the rest of the year. I mean, let's face it, it's not like we've been getting very much snow over the past few winters anyway.
This. We get Snow maybe 7 days of the year. Even up in Scotland it's very rarely colder than -2 or -3'C. I don't have storage space for Winter tyres or wheels from March through to October and I'll be damned if I'm buying a new set of tyres and throwing away perfectly useable ones every six months for those 7 days where they provide an advantage.

Caporegime
Just a heads up. Goodyear have a promotion on at the moment. Up to £100 in Sainsbury's or Amazon vouchers with 2 or more 17"+ tyres purchased - Link

I'm after two new fronts at the end of the month, price seems alright, participating dealer close by, hmm, 2 17" tyres I only get a £25 reward. Not really worth it as I can get other tyres for more than £25 less. Potentially good for someone with 19" and wants 2 or 4 Tyres:

Tyre Size 2/3 Tyres 4 Tyres

17” £25 Gift Card £50 Gift Card

18” £40 Gift Card £80 Gift Card

19”+ £50 Gift Card £100 Gift Card

Soldato
I'm after two new fronts at the end of the month, price seems alright, participating dealer close by, hmm, 2 17" tyres I only get a £25 reward. Not really worth it as I can get other tyres for more than £25 less. Potentially good for someone with 19" and wants 2 or 4 Tyres:

Yeah, i mean it's not going to work for everyone. However I've just had another 2x 18" Eagle F1 Assy5's fitted to the rear of mine and have bagged a £40 Amazon voucher. Like you say for anyone who's running 19" wheels it could be a really good deal!

Back
Top Bottom