• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I9-9900k or i7-10700k?

Associate
Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu, currently have a i7-8700k, what should I pick between I9-9900k or i7-10700k?
The i7 is newer and cheaper but I would need to buy a new motherboard the i9 means I can keep my z370 board. Would the performance of the newer i7 be greater than the i9?

Associate
OP
Yeah Kinda, I find in some games I get a little bit of CPU bottle-necking or at least I think that's the problem, besides that I'm in a position to upgrade now and I might not be for a while in the future.

Soldato
If you have to upgrade your CPU I would keep your current board - your going to be paying a lot for a marginal uplift in games, so it's probably not cost effective if you have to get the board as well.

Tbh if you are going to buy an new board you may as well get a better CPU while your at it anyway! :)

Associate
OP
Yeah I do have an rx5700 xt, The problem I was having yesterday has not been happening today oddly. I dont know the first thing about overclocking Id probably do more harm than good. My GPU does pump out a lot of heat into the case when I game for a long time like yesterday. Could this be my problem by making everything else hot? if so my CPU is water cooled i could put a water block on my GPU. From looking online there is no real improvement with GPU performance doing this but it would carry the heat out of the case better.
rest of specs
asrock taichi x370
i7-8700k
corsair dominator platinum 2x8GB 3200mhz

Associate
I hear the 10700k are not great if your into overclocking, they seem to be failed 10900k's
should do around 5ghz I would image but that's about it.

my friend 9900KF is stunning really low volts and a 5.1ghz oc but temps can be an issue while the 10700k should be a lot cooler.

Soldato
You need to understand the problem and why it occurred, and if it may occur again what might cause it. Throwing money at new components isn't going to do anything other than empty your wallet, unless you get very lucky.

What case do you have, and how is it configured with cooling etc? Any case fans, what CPU cooler are you using?

Associate
OP
Case is NZXT H440, I have 3 120mm fans at the front of the case drawing cold air in, the cpu is water cooled with an EK custom loop and has a 360mm radiator at the top of the case blowing hot air out, then a 140mm fan at the rear of the case blowing hot air out. The case gets so hot I can feel the heat coming from the GPU just by putting my hand on the side of the case near it.

Soldato
An 8700k should be good for a couple more years yet and will certainly not be bottlenecking a 5700XT.

what resolution are you gaming at?

I would install MSI afterburner and use it to monitor CPU / Gpu usage and temps while gaming to try figure out what's causing your issues.

Associate
OP
The gpu is steady around at 75 degrees, cpu spikes upto 65 but hangs mostly around 50 when gaming
What's the best software to use to monitor this? This was just using HWmonitor and radeon app.
Monitor is 3440x1440
And its a clean OS

Associate
I hear the 10700k are not great if your into overclocking, they seem to be failed 10900k's
should do around 5ghz I would image but that's about it.

my friend 9900KF is stunning really low volts and a 5.1ghz oc but temps can be an issue while the 10700k should be a lot cooler.

Yes 10700k`s are failed 10900k with 2 of the cores cut off thats why it easy to pick up a 10700k but not the 10900k it is not that they are poor chips just that Intel are pushing it to far on the 10900k which is why they are bring out a lower spec 10850k.

Man of Honour
Can you describe the problem you're having in more detail? I can't imagine there's many people out there who had to upgrade a 8700K.

Associate
As others have said, upgrading the 8700k is a waste at the moment it should be good for a few years.

Check temps etc, what res are you gaming at?

Back
Top Bottom