• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
PhysX was a thing back in 2005 because CPUs were struggling to run a game let alone anything else. Fast forward to today and we have cores aplenty to throw to at physics calcs.

Soldato
Loads of games still use software PhysX including a good few new releases very few however use hardware PhysX which is a shame.
I haven't seen a hardware implementation yet that was without serious performance issues even when you had a dedicated GPU/PPU for the job. Just look at Borderlands 2 which was supposed to be the poster child of hardware PhysX. Very cool effects but serious performance issues in certain parts of the game.

EDIT: Forgot about the batman games. PhysX smoke also took an unnatural toll on a dedicated physx GPU

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's hardware accelerated on the GPU by default.

You can choose in the Nvidia control panel.

Depends on the feature and application developer implementation as to whether that choice means a PhysX feature runs on the GPU or not - it won't force a software feature onto GPU if the application developer has decided otherwise but will force hardware processing onto the CPU where supported even if the application developer enabled the feature in hardware.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I regularly change between AMD and Nvidia GPUs and never have I been in a situation where I could not use physx due to having an AMD gpu. It really is not a selling point for Nvidia anymore imo.

Soldato
It's hardware accelerated on the GPU by default.

You can choose in the Nvidia control panel.
GPU-accelerated PhysX is dead. That setting only affects legacy implementations from back when it was a thing. Arkham Knight is the last game I can remember with actual GPU-accelerated PhysX and that was over five years ago. Newer games (like Metro Exodus) have PhysX, but the vendor-agnostic software version that runs on the CPU.

Soldato
GPU-accelerated PhysX is dead. That setting only affects legacy implementations from back when it was a thing. Arkham Knight is the last game I can remember with actual GPU-accelerated PhysX and that was over five years ago. Newer games (like Metro Exodus) have PhysX, but the vendor-agnostic software version that runs on the CPU.

Hmm... Are you sure? I'm not quite sure about that. Sure it might run on the CPU but it will run better on the GPU.

Soldato
Hmm... Are you sure? I'm not quite sure about that. Sure it might run on the CPU but it will run better on the GPU.
Quite sure. Feel free to fire up a game using the CPU-based implementation of PhysX for yourself and test both options. There is no performance impact either way by toggling it, as the "PhysX" it refers to (i.e. the GPU-accelerated PhysX that only supported Nvidia GPUs) is essentially a different thing to the PhysX that's used today, which is open source middleware that runs on any setup and is integrated into engines like Unity and UE4. Maybe they should have rebranded it to avoid this confusion.

Soldato
Quite sure. Feel free to fire up a game using the CPU-based implementation of PhysX for yourself and test both options. There is no performance impact either way by toggling it, as the "PhysX" it refers to (i.e. the GPU-accelerated PhysX that only supported Nvidia GPUs) is essentially a different thing to the PhysX that's used today, which is open source middleware that runs on any setup and is integrated into engines like Unity and UE4. Maybe they should have rebranded it to avoid this confusion.

Yes you are correct. I remember now. Physx was open sourced. However I think on Nvidia cards Physx is executed on the GPU not on the CPU. If you go in to the Nvidia control panel you will find a section on Physx which gives you a choice where you want Physx to be executed and it defaults to the GPU in the presence of a Physx capable card.

Soldato
Yes you are correct. I remember now. Physx was open sourced. However I think on Nvidia cards Physx is executed on the GPU not on the CPU. If you go in to the Nvidia control panel you will find a section on Physx which gives you a choice where you want Physx to be executed and it defaults to the GPU in the presence of a Physx capable card.
I don't really know how many more times I can say it, but you're wrong. That setting only affects games using legacy, GPU-accelerated PhysX, which no new title has used in years as far as I know. Modern PhysX runs on the CPU only. It cannot and does not run on the GPU, no matter how you set the option in the Nvidia control panel. Feel free to do your own research on the subject, feel free to test it yourself, or feel free to just believe whatever you want to believe. Those are the facts though.

Soldato
I don't really know how many more times I can say it, but you're wrong. That setting only affects games using legacy, GPU-accelerated PhysX, which no new title has used in years as far as I know. Modern PhysX runs on the CPU only. It cannot and does not run on the GPU, no matter how you set the option in the Nvidia control panel. Feel free to do your own research on the subject, feel free to test it yourself, or feel free to just believe whatever you want to believe. Those are the facts though.

Actually I think you need to adjust your facts. The Physx SDK was made open source in 2018 by Nvidia. So its available to anyone under the BSD 3 Licence and its available on Github. So far so good. However it can be CPU or GPU accelerated.

This is from the Dec 2018 when it was made open source.

PhysX will now be the only free, open-source physics solution that takes advantage of GPU acceleration and can handle large virtual environments.

and also

The PhysX SDK is a scalable multi-platform game physics solution supporting a wide range of devices, from smartphones to high-end multicore CPUs and GPUs.
It’s already integrated into some of the most popular game engines, including Unreal Engine (versions 3 and 4) and Unity3D.

Also if you read the User Guide for the SDK Rigid Bodies can be performed by either CPU or GPU.

GPU Rigid Bodies is a new feature introduced in PhysX 3.4. It supports the entire rigid body pipeline feature-set but currently does not support articulations. The state of GPU-accelerated rigid bodies can be modified and queried using the exact same API as used to modify and query CPU rigid bodies. GPU rigid bodies can interact with clothing and particles in the same way that CPU rigid bodies can and can easily be used in conjunction with character controllers (CCTs) and vehicles.

GPU rigid bodies can provide extremely large performance advantages over CPU rigid bodies in scenes with several thousand active rigid bodies. However, there are some performance considerations to be taken into account.

PhysX rigid body simulation can be configured to take advantage of CUDA capable GPUs under Linux or Windows. This provides a performance benefit proportional to the arithmetic complexity of a scene. GPU acceleration extensions are provided as an optional binary DLL. It supports the entire rigid body pipeline feature-set but currently does not support articulations. The state of GPU-accelerated rigid bodies can be modified and queried using the exact same API as used to modify and query CPU rigid bodies. GPU rigid bodies can easily be used in conjunction with character controllers (CCTs) and vehicles.

:D

Soldato
Physx FAQ

Think about it. Obvisouly Physx runs faster on the GPU than CPU.

"
Does PhysX scale across the GPU and CPU? If yes, does that mean having a faster CPU enhances PhysX performance or visual quality?
PhysX uses both the CPU and GPU, but generally the most computationally intensive operations are done on the GPU. A CPU upgrade could result in some performance improvement, as would a GPU upgrade, but the relative improvement is very dependent on the initial balance of the system. An optimized PC with the right mix of CPU to GPU horsepower will be the best balanced solution.

Intel and AMD say it’s better to run physics on the CPU. What is NVIDIA’s position?
PhysX runs faster and will deliver more realism by running on the GPU. Running PhysX on a mid-to-high-end GeForce GPU will enable 10-20 times more effects and visual fidelity than physics running on a high-end CPU. Portions of PhysX processing actually run on both the CPU and GPU, leveraging the best of both architectures to deliver the best experience to the user. More importantly, PhysX can scale with the GPU hardware inside your PC. Intel and AMD solutions, which utilize the Havok API, are fixed function only and cannot scale.

"

Obviously depends when that was written. But I still think that Physx in the presence of an Nvidia card will run on the GPU.

This is 2018

Recent Physx

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Did we ever get any strong hints that HDMI 2.1 was definitely coming with the next gen cards?

Or am I merely hoping?

Back
Top Bottom